Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ibid wrote:
    Nah you're wrong Ian, BESS certainly gets more slagging.
    possibly enda, but like you i'm entirely biased.
    Of course my opinion might be biased. But I still think I have right to be a bit annoyed at said slagging.
    Bit annoyed? you seem entirely peeved at which is quite common to most courses.
    In fairness, nobody ever sees comp sci people.They spend all their time on computers.
    Uh huh, can i start a big rant about how your stereotyping us now?
    And I how to I know you wouldn't slag cras_000 regardless of what course s/he does?
    How do i know i'd still like the winter even if snow was blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

possibly enda, but like you i'm entirely biased.
    an unbiased opinion is an uninformed opinion.

Bit annoyed? you seem entirely peeved at which is quite common to most courses.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying.

Uh huh, can i start a big rant about how your stereotyping us now?
    You can indeed. Before you do, I'd like to point out I was being ironic.

How do i know i'd still like the winter even if snow was blue?
    Well, if you like winter regardless of whether or not it snows, that would be a good indication.

an unbiased opinion is an uninformed opinion.
    Well probally true, but considering we have both vested interests i was meerly pointing out that the odds of there being a clear decider in this seems low.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying.
    Put simply, get over it, we all get abuse in college. You try being in arguebly the 2 most esoteric courses in the college. Either get slagging or well silence.
    You can indeed. Before you do, I'd like to point out I was being ironic.
    Hrmm i guess my scarcasm for the interweb meter needs fixing.
    Well, if you like winter regardless of whether or not it snows, that would be a good indication.
    Though it normally snow's and i'm used to snow being white, though you do get the point and are just avoiding it.

Well probally true, but considering we have both vested interests i was meerly pointing out that the odds of there being a clear decider in this seems low.
    Its an internet forum. We were always fighting an uphill battle if you were hoping that we could ever reach a definative conclusion. The best we can hope for is that you show some understanding with regards to the reason I'm angry, and for me to agree to shut up about it.
    Though it normally snow's and i'm used to snow being white, though you do get the point and are just avoiding it.
    I lost the point of all of this a long time ago.

Also, I usually don't see snow til our supposed spring months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ok I didn't read most of this. on purpose, to be honest. get over it. work in a place where no one else is from trinity? if so, then you'd know the reaction you get when people find you're in college there. Cus simple fact is that while courses may get slagged and teased, its the person you are that matters. and thats all. so. who. ****ing. cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

&#231 wrote: »
    its the person you are that matters.

emotional.jpg

That was beautiful.

lolz

Ok I didn't read most of this. on purpose, to be honest. get over it. work in a place where no one else is from trinity? if so, then you'd know the reaction you get when people find you're in college there. Cus simple fact is that while courses may get slagged and teased, its the person you are that matters. and thats all. so. who. ****ing. cares.
    To be honest, it really doesn't bother me all that much. I jus thought Awayindahils was being ridiculously OTT regarding the stereotype BESSbeotches.

But, yes, that was quite beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

To be honest, it really doesn't bother me all that much. I jus thought Awayindahils was being ridiculously OTT regarding the stereotype BESSbeotches.

Eh that was the point.

Eh that was the point.
    Well, this could hardly be another case of undetected irony because it would take away from your origional point (gossiping in lectures being disruptive) if you believed BESSpeeps don't behave as you described.

• Advertisement

Cormac get over it. That piece was written as a spoof in a lectur the morning after BESS ball. The stereotype was that OTT that morning and yes people do act like that in lecturs. I once sat bewteen two girls who carried on a conversation about how they were going to D2 that night, what happen at D2 the week before and how they were failing Economics. Some how they failed to rectify the fact that the reason they were failing Economics had something to do with regularily missing Thursday Economics lecturs as a result of going to D2.

The above however does not just apply to BESS lecturs as someone pointed out to me, it is relevant to most bigger lecturs groups.

The main point of what I was trying to say however was that in lectur theatres as much as what the lecturer says is amplified towards the students in attendence, what you say among your friends can also be heard. Its difficult for the lecturer to actually see people but they can hear conversations that are being carried on through out the lectur and at one point during the year it was absolutely disgraceful.

Cormac people get slagged all the time. I regularily get the piss taken out of me over the fact that I have poor balance, thats a personal slight but is usually not meant to offend its just a joke. Serious messages are sometimes better recieved when sweetened with a little humor. When people slag BESS stereotypes, the thing is that they really don't slag any one person at all, so the personal level of insult you appear to be taking from the whole thing is absolutely ridcoulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Cormac people get slagged all the time. I regularily get the piss taken out of me over the fact that I have poor balance, thats a personal slight but is usually not meant to offend its just a joke. Serious messages are sometimes better recieved when sweetened with a little humor. When people slag BESS stereotypes, the thing is that they really don't slag any one person at all, so the personal level of insult you appear to be taking from the whole thing is absolutely ridcoulous.
    In fairness I think he's just complaining that whenever BESS is mentioned, so is the stereotype. I know he's a big boy and has probably at least wiped most of the tears away at this stage and thus isn't complaining about being slagged per se, but that our course is overly-criticised for being full of "Oh my God, the accounting exam is on the day of Sorcha's birthday, the poor girl, that's tragic"-type twits. I tend to agree with him.

Look at the BESS people here:
    1. Me: Enough said?
    2. Europerson: Part-time dairy farmer from Meath.Wrote an eighteen-page report on the state of his primary school toilets at the age of 12. The man couldn't pull of D4 if he tried.
    3. b.ie curious: one of the most studious, hard-working people I know. A million miles from an air-head.
    4. Right_Side: obnoxious Scholar snob who probably wouldn't know what Spirit was, capitalised or otherwise. Definitely not a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly figure.
    5. GOM: Dreadlocked head of Labour Youth.
    6. Andrew_83: lefty journalist with floppy hair. Got a First. Anti-BESS.
    7. Stargal [sorta BESS]: lefty journalist with bad hair. About as un-snobby and friendly as you get.
    8. shay_562: Not much to report (or hope) for him, I'm afraid
    9. Awayindahils: Bit of a D4 gurl but the sig kind of proves the necessary lack self-deprecating humour does not exist and thus does not qualify as "BESS"

Seriously, taking this as a sample, how many of these are "BESS"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

shay_562: Not much to report (or hope) for him, I'm afraid

Oh Enda, (*wipes away fake tear*) you always say the sweetest things.

Although you did leave out pixielady, wowy, Bartonilic, miz_yelof, Moorsy, Black_Couch and Pugwash, and doubtless more that I can't think of right now. You may have noticed, there are a lot of BESSheads on this board.

Ok, aside from stargal, shay and possibly Andrew the rest of you could do with adopting a little of the BESS stereotype.

Anyway I bitched about the over slagging of BESS a couple of pages back and it got split into a seperate thread, people asked me in person had I lost it and there was general confusion as to what the hell i was on about. No matter what i say about BESS people want further explanations from me.

And Enda everyones knows that there are two types of BESS people, the BESS girls, and the "I can't believe you do BESS" girls. You and cormac and all the others you mentioned are most definetly "I can't believe you do BESS" girls.

Also you're missing a couple of people from your list, namely Bartronllic, Black Couch, Moorsey and Miz. YellOff

Edit: Damn shay got there first

I heard bess girls have giant vaginas. thats why I talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

shay_562 wrote:
    Although you did leave out pixielady, wowy, Bartonilic, miz_yelof, Moorsy, Black_Couch and Pugwash, and doubtless more that I can't think of right now. You may have noticed, there are a lot of BESSheads on this board.
    Also you're missing a couple of people from your list, namely Bartronllic, Black Couch, Moorsey and Miz. YellOff

*Troglodyte sticks up his hand forlornly:

"I do BESS too...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

I heard bess girls have giant vaginas. thats why I talk to them.

Lol! About time someone added a bit of humour, this thread is getting awfully serious.

...I was being serious. with me, its all about the vag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Ibid wrote:
    [*]Right_Side: obnoxious Scholar snob who probably wouldn't know what Spirit was, capitalised or otherwise. Definitely not a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly figure.

Thats not particularly nice now is it?

Although it could be deduced that you were talking about yourself from the stuff you've posted over the last while!
    obnoxious

Who was it who ate the head off some fresher for asking an innocent question about loosing their info pack?
    Scholar snob

I don't know where this is coming from?

Who was it who posted a couple of hundred word extract from one of their Schols essays on taxes, just to show to everyone that they were doing Schols?
    who probably wouldn't know what Spirit was

The mere fact that you are using Spirit as an example shows how little you know. Spirit is one of the worst nightclubs in Dublin and the only reason anyone goes there is because it is used to host the big nights for college because it has the largest capacity.

And anyway this is all coming from the person who actually posted in the who-hoo thread that "The week in politics is back".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Also Ibid I suggest you read the charter.
    2. Flaming

- Posts containing personal attacks on people whether a Boards user or not will be edited/deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Ibid wrote:
    Second row for that Maths lecture FTW.
    That was immensely embarassing, Enda. In fact, you looked quite mortified altogether afterwards, and Mr. O'Brien never looked at us the same way again. I think he still remembers me and Cormac for our argument over the correct Dewey decimal classification of books on statistical economics.
    Troglodyte wrote:
    Now that's a mental image that I'll find very hard to get rid of....
    Do try, for your own sake.
    Ibid wrote:
    So, lads, Monetary&Welfare or Mathematical Economics?
    Both, FTW.
    Europerson: Part-time dairy farmer from Meath.Wrote an eighteen-page report on the state of his primary school toilets at the age of 12. The man couldn't pull of D4 if he tried.
    Just to tidy up a couple of inaccuracies:
    • My father is a full-time dairy farmer. I could hardly describe myself as a farmer.
    • I was fourteen and in second year of secondary school.
    • I never try to pull off the whole D4 thing. I find the Meath thing a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

shay_562 wrote:
    Oh Enda, (*wipes away fake tear*) you always say the sweetest things.

aw shay you remembered me! why thank you !

by the bu, anyone have any fricking idea when these damned supplemental exam results are going to be out?! eeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Some of the Eng faculty ones (if not all) are out on Monday, guess the rest of the supplemental results will be out around then too.

They may be out on Friday - some were last year. Ring them!

some are out already....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ibid wrote:

Stargal [sorta BESS]
    : lefty journalist with bad hair. About as un-snobby and friendly as you get.

Thats Just mean....

Cormac get over it.
    First off, I've already asked people here to use my username. If I wanted people to call me Cormac, I would have made it my username.
    The main point of what I was trying to say however was that in lectur theatres as much as what the lecturer says is amplified towards the students in attendence, what you say among your friends can also be heard. Its difficult for the lecturer to actually see people but they can hear conversations that are being carried on through out the lectur and at one point during the year it was absolutely disgraceful.
    Yes, and I already said I agree with you. It can be very hard to concentrate in those big lectures when there is so much talking going on.
    When people slag BESS stereotypes, the thing is that they really don't slag any one person at all, so the personal level of insult you appear to be taking from the whole thing is absolutely ridcoulous.
    Personal level of insult? Lets examine that claim, shall we?

I started off by saying:
    the constant characterisation of BESS students as air-heads is really beginning to annoy me.
    Personal annoyance, to be sure, but no sign of insult.
    but I don't need [the fact that BESS has its fair share of air-heads] thrown in my face everytime someone has a conversation about BESS
    Still annoyed...
    I don't mind people slagging me off for being from Ballsbridge. I do mind people slagging off an entire course full of people on the basis of an exaggerated stereotype.
    Hmm. That more or less disproves any notion of me being personally insulted.

finally:
    To be honest, it really doesn't bother me all that much

Anyway I bitched about the over slagging of BESS a couple of pages back
    So you're having a go at me when I do the same?
    And Enda everyones knows that there are two types of BESS people, the BESS girls, and the "I can't believe you do BESS" girls
    Bull. There are nearly as many 'types' of people in BESS as there are people in BESS. Myself, ibid and europerson happen to be quite different from one another in many respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

BESS peoples get their own thread?

Huh. You learn something new, etc.

I know some people have probably said that already, but it needed to be said. Sorry for spamming, I'll be out of here now.

/me leaves thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Stargal [sorta BESS]: lefty journalist with bad hair. About as un-snobby and friendly as you get.
    BAD HAIR?
    Are you joking me?

This shiny, healthy, voluminous and most importantly straight head of hair has taken years of work to reach its current stage, and thus should be treated with the respect that it has earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yes, stargal has nice hair, Andrew too. Both have SUSPICIOUSLY shiny hair, now that I think about it.

Advertisement