Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Changing the topic a bit, but was anyone here at the SF Organisational Behaviour lecture? Absolutely mad.

On the one hand, it's probably the most enjoyable lecture I've ever been to. On the other, I hate those "the lesson is whatever you take from it" non-lessons. Grr. Two hours to learn that people fit into the groups you give them and that people will come up with bizarre new perepectives given enough motivation. The only new thing I learned is that when Fellenz says "Don't sit in the back rows", he genuinely means it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

shay_562 wrote:
    On the other, I hate those "the lesson is whatever you take from it" non-lessons. Grr.

Agreed. The lecture was grand for a while, we all had a good laugh, but it all fell apart when Fellenz spent god knows how long asking the audience why we all thought he did this. Probably the best response I heard was "because you forgot your lecture notes!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Troglodyte wrote:
    On a seperate note, can someone confirm that Gerard McHugh is interested in running for Trinity Senator someday? Heard that rumour last year, and I reckon he'd be pretty good at it.
    Pfft, I spit on you and your complete lack of College Knowledge! :P

He ran in 2002 and only got 156 first preferences.

Ibid wrote:
    Pfft, I spit on you and your complete lack of College Knowledge! :P

True, my college knowledge is pretty woeful at times. Don't know how I manage it to be honest.

156 first preferences looks pretty bad, I would have reckoned he would have done a bit better than that. Have to say I'm happy to see Sean Barrett got a respectable 994 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Fellas humping each other on chairs, sexy judges, some fella called fellenz. I must say Im a little intriqued. Care to share the details?

• Advertisement

Our first two-hour Management 1 lecture of the year (with Dr. Martin Fellenz 'lecturing') involved him taking everyone from the back 2-3 rows, moving them up to the front 2 rows and splitting them into 5 groups of 5. He then put a chair next to the podium (in the Ed Burke) and told them that each group in turn would have to send someone to sit on it, but that each group would have to sit on it in a different way. So if group 1 sat cross-legged, group 2 would have to find a different way of sitting on it (say sideways), then group 3 would have to find a third way etc, through each group in a cycle 'til they ran out of ideas. We made it through 50-odd different variations (including the aforementioned "sitting on a chair while someone rides you") before a winner was declared. And there were three judges (who volunteered themselves rather than being picked), including Bartronilic (sexy beast that he is), who got to decide whether the variation was different enough or not.

He then spent 40-odd minutes asking us why we did the exercise, and what we had learned from it. In theory, I think it was meant to teach us something about perspectives, group dynamics and organisational behaviour. In practice, it was a pointless (if amusing) waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Theres never any interaction in them lectures thats why it was good. Actually the only thing I learned from it was different ways to sit in a chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I think it was so we could interact or something.

Lecture is cancelled on monday - i'll never get to make a class rep speech. I wasnt able to on friday because he said i could only do it up to five minutes before the start because lecture notes were being distributed :confused:. Tuesday and Wednesday should be fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

ah It'll all work out in the end.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

bring cake....

everyone likes cake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

I think it was so we could interact or something.

Lecture is cancelled on monday - i'll never get to make a class rep speech. I wasnt able to on friday because he said i could only do it up to five minutes before the start because lecture notes were being distributed :confused:. Tuesday and Wednesday should be fine?

no worries bri we all no your running and were all going to vote purely because if you dont get elected we'll never hear the fricking end of it!

ha ha drunken texts! legendary!

There's going to be an election i know five others running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Dear Student,

Due to the large number of student's seeking to change course choices, the
    deadline for completion has now been extended to Wednesday 25 October at
    12.30pm.

Kind regards

Martina
    BESS
    She is Martina. She is BESS. Hear her roar.

Anyone else getting tried of being treated like an untouchable every time you go into the BESS office? Its like they don't even care about helping you and make you feel like you're wasting their valuable time.

Meh. I'd be cranky too if I had to deal with BESS people all day. That said, they were ridiculously cranky and bad-tempered the one time I've actually had to set foot inside it.

On a seperate note, congratulations to Bartronilic, our new SF BESS rep (with the highest number of 1st preferences in any election, if I've heard correctly). I'll undoubtedly be sending you a moany e-mail in the next few days about getting some ESL classes for that blasted Maths lecturer, but for now, I'll settle for wishing you good luck.

Great to hear that Bartronilic is our new class rep! Congratulations are in order.

Btw, strange to hear so much complaining about the BESS office. In the few times I've had to go in there I've never noticed any crankiness or arrogance towards me. Maybe my charming nature helped a bit.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

maybe you're just special.

I moved a tutorial and when i asked where the new one was on they looked askansed (sp). How dare you piece of student flith ask for extra information!!:eek:

Well maybe not quite that drastic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

can u change tutorial times no problems or do you need to come up with a decent excuse?

In SF??

Last year I just went to the ones that suited me... as long as you sign in somewhere it should be ok... That said - things could have changed

Don't think so in JF - they are more rigid

shay_562 wrote:
    I'll undoubtedly be sending you a moany e-mail in the next few days about getting some ESL classes for that blasted Maths lecturer

Oh God I know what you mean. I was so bored in today's Maths lecture that I would have removed my own head with a chainsaw for a bit of entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

nothing can possibly beat how painfully boring intro to social research is, i mean its actually unbelievable. to make things worse the guy hasnt got any sort of comprehendable english. eeeek1!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Your point would be a little more valid if comprehendable was a real word ;)

Thanks Niall!

I haven't went to maths for a week, there's no point it's very easy maths anyway, just take the assignments and exam papers and google everything and then go to the tutorials!

In fact all the subjects are easy but the lecturers are making them really really really hard and complicated especially in accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

just take the assignments and exam papers and google everything and then go to the tutorials!
    :mad: at class rep.
    In fact all the subjects are easy but the lecturers are making them really really really hard and complicated
    There's great complexity in some of your subjects.

europerson wrote:
    :mad: at class rep.

Ah the old party political line takes a while to adjust to, and you had Carol Newman.

Ah the old party political line takes a while to adjust to, and you had Carol Newman.
    Why did she leave me?

Who do ye have now?

Why did she leave me?

Who do ye have now?

Sometimes I wonder if you actually talk to Ibid or Europerson in real life:rolleyes:

Carol Newman is on sabbadical. We have Martin Paredes who is Peruvian and unfortunately talks very fast, in heavily accented english.

Sometimes I wonder if you actually talk to Ibid or Europerson in real life:rolleyes:

Carol Newman is on sabbadical.
    I know that. I'm just pining. I miss the hooker boots.

I'll have to stop into one of yer lectures to see what this new fella is like. If he is Peruvian how can he be party political?

I'll have to stop into one of yer lectures to see what this new fella is like. If he is Peruvian how can he be party political?

I meant the rep.

And as for the hooker books, Hallowe'en is next week I'm sure you'll get your fix.

I know that. I'm just pining. I miss the hooker boots.

I always reckoned you had a secret perversion / fetish of some kind.... ;)
    I'll have to stop into one of yer lectures to see what this new fella is like.

You'll fall asleep. Note my comments about the head removal.

• Advertisement

Why do they make it more complicated in the lectures? And Sean Barrat revises everything we did in the past lectures EVERY lecture. He's my favourite lecturer of them all. I think Management 1 and Economy of Ireland seem easy but we'll all fail them miserably becuase they'll mark them hard.

Advertisement