Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Yep this is considered week 19 I think. My timetable is looking very messy at the moment and it doesnt even have the econometric computer lab and presentation session on it yet:(

Stupid SIS.. I never trust that thing anyway

Stupid SIS.. I never trust that thing anyway

Yeah it's not the most reliable source. But it's all we have to check the timetable since they never bothered to update the website:mad: Either that or we have to stand like spare pr1cks squinting at a bloody sheet on the third floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Hi Mattie

Hi Mattie

Does he keep reminding you to post?

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote:
    Yeah it's not the most reliable source. But it's all we have to check the timetable since they never bothered to update the website:mad: Either that or we have to stand like spare pr1cks squinting at a bloody sheet on the third floor.

So shall you be going to this 'SEM' then?

MJH has made no mention of it, but as I'm not doing much else I'll probably wander on over in off chance it actually is on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Myth wrote:
    Hi Mattie
    Yes, I do. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
    MJH has made no mention of it, but as I'm not doing much else I'll probably wander on over in off chance it actually is on
    He ran away from Maths before anyone had a chance to ask him anything.

Well the one with the Bowler hat says that it is not on..

but who listens to TSM students anyway!

Myth wrote:

In a manner of speaking.

I reckon its just the presentation sessions as the times for the econometric presentation sessions are the same. Completely forgot about it today though:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

anyone else leave their History of Political Thought until last night to start? still at it now, grrrrrrr! dont think ill be making an appearance for mgmt,, which incidently i dont actually mind seeing as im ****ing teeny tiny pebbles thinking about what patrick mccabe is going to say after seeing my term exam. eeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thought we could do with a bump :).

The Economics Department, care of a donation from Coca-Cola, have appointed highly-reputed Dr Patrick Honohan as Professor of International Financial Economics and Development. He will take up the position next month.

Maybe a course in Finance and Development for Senior Sophisters by next October?
    Patrick Honohan's current research is focused on monetary and financial sector policy, including banking crises and financial sector development. He has written on these topics in relation to Ireland, the EU and the LDCs. He has also published on topics ranging from exchange rate regimes and purchasing-power parity, to migration, cost-benefit analysis and statistical methodology.

Patrick is a Senior Financial Sector Policy Advisor in the World Bank. Previously he was Research Professor with the Economic and Social Research Institute, Dublin (1990-98), Economic Advisor to the Taoiseach (1981-82 and 1984-86) and also spent several years at the Central Bank of Ireland. He has consulted for the European Union, the Bank for International Settlements and the International Monetary Fund.

He received his Ph.D. in Economics from the London School of Economics in 1978, and has taught Economics there and at the University of California, San Diego, the Australian National University and University College Dublin.

He is a member of the Royal Irish Academy, a Past-President of the Irish Economic Association (1998-2000) and a Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), London.

His (professional) homepage can be found here with his CV available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

At least Coke know the value of paying for quality education, not like those evil capitalists who cut the acting course.
    How about instead of banning Coke the SU focus on banning Hego?

I wonder how well supported it would be if Coke start saving acting/arts courses?

gilroyb wrote:
    At least Coke know the value of paying for quality education, not like those evil capitalists who cut the acting course.
    Slightly convoluted donation. Made through the the Trinity Foundation iirc which then passed onto IIIS, who split it 50/50 between the Business School (who sniped UCD's economist Frank Barry for a similar position) and Economics.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, undergraduate course Prof. Honohan takes.

Are any posters here involved in the SER (Student Economic Review) this year? I heard Trinity won the traditional Oxbridge debate, but I was wondering what's going on with the Yale(?) debate? Any idea of the motion and whether it's on during a weekly Hist/Phil meeting or is it a non regular debate evening?

(Not that I'll get to see it or anything, just impressed to hear how its expanded. Just hope Trinity can manage to win the inaugural debate.)

Thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

gilroyb wrote:
    Are any posters here involved in the SER (Student Economic Review) this year? I heard Trinity won the traditional Oxbridge debate, but I was wondering what's going on with the Yale(?) debate? Any idea of the motion and whether it's on during a weekly Hist/Phil meeting or is it a non regular debate evening?

(Not that I'll get to see it or anything, just impressed to hear how its expanded. Just hope Trinity can manage to win the inaugural debate.)

Thanks for any info

The Phil are hosting it this Thursday evening at 7.30.

http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/SER/event.php?key=9

The motion is "That this House Prefers the European Social Model to the American Dream"

It'll be a lot more difficult than the Oxford debate-they had only sent 1 expierenced debater, along with 2 first years. This time, however, Yale are sending 3 World class debaters, each of whom have broken to the knock out rounds of the World championships. Hopefully Trinity will have the same benefit of having a homer adjudicator like Shane Ross last time.

gilroyb wrote:
    Are any posters here involved in the SER (Student Economic Review) this year?
    original_psycho and Ibid are on the committee.

Any chance Trinity won?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Yeah Trinity won the team. The 3rd Yale speaker got the Best Speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Can anyone tell me what happens if you fail the 2nd year marketing project? Do you do supplementals, if so thats hugely unfair.

More than likely you'll be given the grade as a nominal value. So say it's worth 20% of the year and you get get a 10% in it, you are given 2% to your final year result.

So let's say the Trinity Term exam is worth the remaining 80%. You need to get 47.5% (because 80% x 47.5% = 38% and you've already got the remaining 2% from the project) in that exam to pass the year.

That's how it usually works anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

She said "you need to pass the project to advance to next year". A vague statement that could mean supplementals. Which is a grossly unfair, i won't go into detail about the project but we were giving vague and contradictory instructions and had to use software that.... well its a whole different story.

She said "you need to pass the project to advance to next year". A vague statement that could mean supplementals. Which is a grossly unfair, i won't go into detail about the project but we were giving vague and contradictory instructions and had to use software that.... well its a whole different story.

Brian don't stress too much about it.

Enjoy the break.

Can anyone tell me what happens if you fail the 2nd year marketing project? Do you do supplementals, if so thats hugely unfair.

It's possible that instead of doing supplementals (as in, exams) you would have a project to complete over the summer. It happens in other courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Don't worry, she just seems to make things up as she goes along. I dont know how Trinity let subjects like this be taught to 2nd years its a complete farsce and so is the lecturer. She constantly contradicted herself and as week by week went on she kept adding things which were 'madatory' for a pass grade in the project. Dont worry she's a fool. You are not.

Question: I am third year BESS and have done the single honours in economics option. Thing is in fourth year I am thinking I would like to do two Business subjects and two economics subject( So a joint hour business and economics).

I have all necessary pre-req's for the individual courses but will I be allowed to do this having done the single hours in third year:confused:

Babybing wrote:
    Question: I am third year BESS and have done the single honours in economics option. Thing is in fourth year I am thinking I would like to do two Business subjects and two economics subject( So a joint hour business and economics).
    Single honours all the way. Forget about the B-school :).
    I have all necessary pre-req's for the individual courses but will I be allowed to do this having done the single hours in third year:confused:
    Yeah you should be fine. Just email or pop into the BESS office to ask how do you go about it.

Ibid wrote:
    Single honours all the way. Forget about the B-school :).

I know, I do feel a bit dirty. But if it makes you feel any better Ibid the subjects are finance and financial reporting so at least it's none of the buzz-wordy crap.:cool:

• Advertisement

Someone else looking to go down the accounting route then! You doing Pats course this year?

Advertisement