Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

The negative marked economics exam is a pain in the hole. Maths is a doddle and business have real life examples. It makes a huge difference, and don't think that you can waffle the whole thing.

PolSci multiple choice- it just makes all sorts of no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

The negative marked economics exam is a pain in the hole. Maths is a doddle and business have real life examples. It makes a huge difference, and don't think that you can waffle the whole thing.

PolSci multiple choice- it just makes all sorts of no sense to me.

Business was marked quite toughly if I recall. They won't give you (m)any marks if you obviously haven't read the stuff and don't know what the papers are about. Though if you did the work they were willing to give you the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

They won't give you (m)any marks if you obviously haven't read the stuff and don't know what the papers are about.

The bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ibid wrote: »
    The bastards!

I know...its something I have noticed in Trinity. They are reluctant to give you marks when you have no idea what you are talking about. Something needs to be done:D

I remember my seminar leader being very nice when he handed me back my michealmus term exam, for while it was clear that I had done the reading I obviously hadn't a clue what they were about.

Unfortunately telling me this did not improve my understanding of those god forsaken texts nor my desire to understand what they were about.

*shudder*

• Advertisement

What I meant is a cursory glance at the readings and waffeling on about the tiny fraction of that you remember will not get you marks. Unlike JF Sociology or Pol Sci.

Oh I know that. I was just very bad at business.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

ok, JF exams.......i've read bout 60% of the readings, gone to lectures & tutorials & done my homework, generally get what's going on (except for one subject, but seriously i don't think anyone knows what's going on there)

plan to read a bit more in the meantime....

will i be alright for the exams? by alright i mean not fail and do well?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Randomness wrote: »
    will i be alright for the exams? by alright i mean not fail and do well?!
    Yes, you'll be fine, particularly with your homework complete and good attendance. Just make sure to have covered all the Business readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Randomness wrote: »
    ok, JF exams.......i've read bout 60% of the readings, gone to lectures & tutorials & done my homework, generally get what's going on (except for one subject, but seriously i don't think anyone knows what's going on there)

The one subject wouldn't happen to be Economics would it?

I was actually suprised by the number of people left at the end today!

Also O'Toole hasn't used an alcohol example in a while, something's wrong!

• Advertisement

Ah, Francis "Well you might say well hold on a second, if you view it in terms of...." O'Toole.

Everyone loves Franny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

Hi There

Any JS people doing Finance?

Do you know what chapters / type of questions are coming up in the Term test?

Any particular formulas I should learn?

Many thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Magnusd wrote: »
    Any JS people doing Finance?

I did it last year, so I'm guessing it's going to be the same.
    Do you know what chapters / type of questions are coming up in the Term test?

Chapters 2-9
    Any particular formulas I should learn?

All of them or as many as you can. Much of this multiple choice test is based on numerical calculations iric.

Chapters 1-7 inclusive.

Thanks a million guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

In Applied Finance we have only covered chapters 3 to 8? I have no idea where you get 1 and 2 from those chapters are more accounting than anything and will not be on the exam. Most the stuff is in chapters 3-7 because we didn't really finish 8 in class last week. If you go onto the intranets website and get Lucey's notes up to week 8 thats the stuff that will be on the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Any chance of any of the SS's (4th years) scanning the x-mas exam from last year if anybody has it handy and isn't under 12 tonnes of books for the next couple of days?

My mistakel But given that Accounting is a prereq ch. 2 should be known. And we did cover chapter 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Moorsy wrote: »
    I have no idea where you get 1 and 2 from those chapters are more accounting than anything and will not be on the exam.

I have no idea where you got that idea from. Even though I'm not in the class, I know that you will have covered both these chapters, if not directly then indirectly through random points he gives in class. I'm pretty sure that there was some question(s) on the exam last from chapter 2, you are expected to know this stuff from 2nd year, and I think there was some more general one(s) from chapter 1 as well. Don't have the exam at hand I'm afraid, so this is all from memory, but I did get 96% in that exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Ibid wrote: »
    Ah, Francis "Well you might say well hold on a second, if you view it in terms of...." O'Toole.

Everyone loves Franny.
    I've no love for the man. AMaking economics boring goshdammit!

Also,maths exam tomorrow =certain failure :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I don't think its so much him being boring, its that bloody textbook that just drives me crazy.... :mad:

Re: The Finance exam,

Has anyone seen the 160 pages of MCQs Lucey has put up on the intranet?

Are we expected to cover all of that , including cpt 1 and 2?

Will there be general (ie in plain English!) questions as well as ones with formulas and graphs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I'm that guy!

...you are? Since when?

shay_562 wrote: »
    ...you are? Since when?
    I would guess, since he switched course!

shay_562 wrote: »
    ...you are? Since when?
    I would guess, since he switched course!

Shay thinks its someone specific from our year which it may be, but more realisitcaly lots of people drop out of maths and quite a few move into BESS. So it may not be the person Shay is talking about, and if it is we're mutlipling in order to fill the shoes of ibid, europerson, bi curious and zaraba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Shay thinks its someone specific from our year which it may be, but more realisitcaly lots of people drop out of maths and quite a few move into BESS. So it may not be the person Shay is talking about, and if it is we're mutlipling in order to fill the shoes of ibid, europerson, bi curious and zaraba.
    you make me cry.

b.ie polar wrote: »
    you make me cry.
    Nice one Hills.. you made him cry..

Drinks in mine tonight? To drink to the last ever open day that we will have experienced in TCD as undergraduates.. also to bitch about the really loud annoying architecture students running rampant around the Ussher today..

Drinks in mine tonight?
    Not after I banned you, apparently :D.

I doubt defiantshrimp is our beloved Foundation Scholar, Shay.

Time heals all ibid.. that and hoegarden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Ibid wrote:
    I doubt defiantshrimp is our beloved Foundation Scholar, Shay.

Probably not, but the confident "That was me!" and the familiar "BESS should be a three year degree" rant make it sound a lot like him, as do certain parts of the phrasing (though that could be my imagination). See, defiantshrimp? This is why we make a courtesy post in the "Who's who?" thread - to avoid such confusion.
    hils wrote:
    bi curious

Hee! You give yourself one poorly thought-out nickname one time...

Advertisement