Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

woah what?! eastern and western are both gone? what choices do you guys have now instead? is history of political thought stilll a course option?

Yeah, they're completely gone! Now the 3 pol science options are History of Political Thought, International Relations and Comparative Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

International Relations

"This course is an introduction to the positive, descriptive
    study of international relations. Why do states make war?
    What are the conditions for the growth of cross-border trade
    and finance? What is the impact of international organizations
    on relations between states? This course considers these
    questions by looking at differing theoretical approaches to
    international relations and a selection of topics in historical
    and contemporary politics, including the United Nations, the
    World Trade Organisation, the European Union, and
    international environmental and human rights regimes.."

OR

Comparative Politics

"This course provides an overview of key theoretical
    frameworks, concepts, and analytical methods commonly
    used in the sub-field of comparative politics. The class
    focuses upon the seminal contemporary works in the field and
    critically evaluates them. The class considers alternative
    ‘consociational’ and ‘majoritarian’ models of democratic
    institutions; analyzes the impact of institutions on the quality
    of democracy and considers how citizens may be able to
    control public policies in different modern democracies. The
    conclusion draws together the core lessons from the class for
    effective research in comparative political science. A broad
    global comparison is adopted drawing upon materials and
    theories derived from countries around the world.."

anyone want to pick one for me there?!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

I did International Relations (International Political Theory) this year, as a Junior Sophister course, and I would strongly recommend it. It's very interesting, although at times the readings can be a bit hard to get your head around, maybe a little abstract but thats good for the mind!! The lecturer is very good and the course is 'current', 'hot' and new....compared to when we did Eastern last year which was 90% a history course (although Ron Hill simply was the best).

And current SS's have any opinions about Politics or Business subjects for next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

If you're gonna do business polictics leave yourself open for being able to do Pure Business. Do not be one of the moaners who didn't pick their courses right and is stuck with doing something they hate.

Also on the subject of moaners, my class NEVER stop complaining. They basically got the HR free drinks thing cancelled from their moaning about the oh so much work they have to do. Why can't people just take what they get? Unless its something ridiculous like the lecturer we had for Economics/Maths last year people won't shut up about their 6 subjects. Its not my problem you picked 6 hard subjects. Good luck in your jobs I'd hate to work with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

If you're gonna do business polictics leave yourself open for being able to do Pure Business. Do not be one of the moaners who didn't pick their courses right and is stuck with doing something they hate.

Also on the subject of moaners, my class NEVER stop complaining. They basically got the HR free drinks thing cancelled from their moaning about the oh so much work they have to do. Why can't people just take what they get? Unless its something ridiculous like the lecturer we had for Economics/Maths last year people won't shut up about their 6 subjects. Its not my problem you picked 6 hard subjects. Good luck in your jobs I'd hate to work with you.

Bad day?

3rd year this year has been incredibly hard and it has been taken into account for next years 3rd years. Sucks majorly for our year I know, but anyway light of some kind some where. Don't be fooled by Bartronlic's moaning. If you don't pick hard subjects- ie maths based courses, your employment prospects from your business/economics degrees are severally reduced. Maths based courses give you a set of skills to enter the work place with and make you a more attractive candiate than someone who did 'soft' or **** based business and economics courses. Also in 3rd year BESS you only need a 2.2 to pass the year and it doesn't count towards your degree so it is a good oppertunity to gain some good expierence in different areas of study, as well as being last opperunity you have to have a bad exam and not suffer too badly in terms of long term consequences.

I myself do single honours political science. About as soft as it comes, well with the possible exception of bbs or business and sociology. I took econometrics as one of my extra subjects as it improves the set of skills that I will leave college with. My department are very pleased that I have done this as they see the benefit of it. I have struggled with the course to some extent but I know that I will have the basics that I have learned this year and be able to apply them in future situations ie a better dissertation. Think carefully when you are choosing your subjects. If you are unsure of what you want to do, make sure you fulfill the requirements for the single honours course- which is usually 3 I think, maybe its two again. Anyway take that precaution. And do consider where you want to be in 5 years. Yes people 5 year plans all the way, but keep where you want to go in mind, and use the cushion of a 3rd year which doesn't affect your end result to gain some skills.

3rd year is the hardesy year in BESS and has always been (from chatting to people both long and recently gone, this seems to be the consensus). I found it quite tough last year, more so then this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Heh. Hils said ****.

If I had to do 6 subjects in 3rd year I would have gone nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 greengoose

Can you do joint honours business in 2nd year and then switch to single honours in 3rd year if you haven't done the 2 economics subjects?

Some people have been saying that you have to do intermediate economics and maths to be able to do single honours business or you have to do business and politics or sociology, is it true?

greengoose wrote: »
    Can you do joint honours business in 2nd year and then switch to single honours in 3rd year if you haven't done the 2 economics subjects?

Some people have been saying that you have to do intermediate economics and maths to be able to do single honours business or you have to do business and politics or sociology, is it true?

it is my understanding, although i may and probably am wrong...

if you pick BU2510 - mgt.1
    BU2520 - mgt.2
    EC2040 - maths & stats........in SF

you are covered in the joint business section

you are covered to do every "BU...(insert number here)" course in JS.

you can also freely choose any of the EC courses EXCEPT...

- Economic Analysis
    - Money and Banking
    - The European Economy
    - Investment Analysis
    - Industrial Economics; Competiton, Strategy & Policy....in JS

well that's according to the yellow sheet for JS

oh yeah the most important bit, according to this http://www.tcd.ie/bess/current/coursechoices/jsbbs.php

if you pick the SF subjects i mentioned up there^^^ there are only 2 course in the BBS in JS that you can't do, Investment Analysis and Industrial Economics.

now, feel free to correct me!

• Advertisement

Randomness wrote: »
    it is my understanding, although i may and probably am wrong...

if you pick BU2510 - mgt.1
    BU2520 - mgt.2
    EC2040 - maths & stats........in SF

you are covered in the joint business section

you are covered to do every "BU...(insert number here)" course in JS.

you can also freely choose any of the EC courses EXCEPT...

- Economic Analysis
    - Money and Banking
    - The European Economy
    - Investment Analysis
    - Industrial Economics; Competiton, Strategy & Policy....in JS

well that's according to the yellow sheet for JS

oh yeah the most important bit, according to this http://www.tcd.ie/bess/current/coursechoices/jsbbs.php

if you pick the SF subjects i mnetioned up there^^^ there are only 2 course in the BBS in JS that you can't do, Investment Analysis and Industrial Economics.

now, feel free to correct me!

Yeah but I only want to do business by itself, not with sociology or politics or especially economics!!!!
    On the sheet it says
    Business Studies (single, BBS) BU2510, BU2520, EC2010, EC2040

Business Studies (joint honour) BU2510, BU2520, and either EC2040 or SO2310

What I'm asking is, can I do Business and Sociology next year then drop sociology in 3rd year.

The sheet makes it sound like you can't.

Like next year do : the 2 busienss subjects obviously haha, SO2310 then one of the other sociology ones then 2 others like law or something.
    Then the year after do just business, or would I have to keep up sociology? I don't mind doing sociology for one more year but I don't want it as part of my degree.

oh right, emmm i think you can do that because you want to do BBS in JS yeah?
    (agh the lingo!)

anyway on the website for BBS in JS, you have to pick 4 courses from one section and 2 from another and all off them except Investment Analyisis and Industrial Economics you should have the pre-requists for from the two BUs in SF.

and obviously in SS you are more restricted because there are plenty of courses that require some ECs from JS, however you can still pick the required number of courses from what i see, you just might have a very narrow type business degree?

i'm sure one of the other bess people will confirm/deny all this anyway whenever they're around so don't go sending in your form just yet!:D

Make SURE you be careful what way you pick your subjects in 2nd year though because you might end up not being able to do pure business if you end up hating politics (some people cheat the system though and don't do Economics and Maths in 2nd year but sneak into BBS, really unfair).

Hey, I know you posted this a while ago but just wondering what you meant by this? It seems like you might get what I was trying to say in my last few posts...

Can you do joint honours business and sociology/politics in SF then do single honour in JS without having done the economics subjects?

What do you mean people cheat the system? Do you mean it's against the rules but you can still do it? How?:) Not that I'm a cheater or anything lol.

This year was really unfair.

In 1st Year we were told that we MUST do maths (which I was good at but I know alot of people of struggled with it) and economics (which I had no interest in and the lecturer was notoriously bad) in 2nd year JUST so we could do BBS.

Now I know people would disagree but doing 4 economics and the 2 business (especially that accounting subject where the lecturer takes pleasure in tricking students in the exam and makes you read weeks of irish times for the exam) is harder than doing the 2 business, broad cirriculum, law and then 2 otther subjects that aren't maths and economics.

Yet the people who took the easier route KNOWING they couldn't do BBS in 3rd year GO AHEAD AND DO BBS IN 3RD YEAR. I was so mad, especially since some of them were good friends.

Then these SAME people bitch and moan 24/7 about the 6 subjects this year. That annoys me.

What awayindahils said is true, I was just venting my frustration at the idiots who lucked into doing a degree choice that many people in years ahead and even people in our own year could not do. They have no right to complain 24/7 while people who haven't broken the rules or actually worked hard in college do.

I do hope that next year the lecturers sort their courses out particularly in applied finance (no need for easter exam) and econometrics (just what I heard from others).

Given that the whole thing with BESS is allowing you to experience a few different areas before commiting yourselve to something I think it's reasonably fair to allow one person take route A to a BBS i.e the Business/Economics SF year while others who may have a broader interest i.e sociololgy and politics take route B in SF by combining one of them with Business.

Then both sets of people can enter the BBS in JS but from different perspectives.

Surely the people who go down the Business/Economics route in SF would have better skills etc in the whole BBS area anyway so in the long run would do better in terms of exams etc/ jobs?

Whereas the Business/Politics or Business/Sociology SF people may have enjoyed SF but now realise a BBS is way they want to go?

In terms of the courses you have to pick for a BBS in JS there really are only a few the non-economics people can't choose so I don't see why they can't/shouldn't persue a BBS.

However given your whole point was people in your class giving out about course load - wouldn't those annoying/lazy types be the same people who would give out about stuff anyway - regardless of their path to BBS?

The way I see it, if BBS is your thing then you should difinitely pick Business/Economics in SF because your gonna have the benefit of it. However if your not sure you should definitely still have the option to commit yourself to BBS at the end of SF even if you've done Sociology/Politics with Business.

p.s I take your point about people picking the bare minimum Business subjects SF (2) and then combining them with a mix and match of stuff just to get through the year - well see now that's just not gonna stand to them in years to come because they'll have missed out on subjects they could have picked up reasonable skills etc in i.e maths and economics.

Randomness I get what you're trying to say about no economcis requirements for the individual JS Business Courses, but the way I see it is, to enter the BBS degree programme you need;

Man 1, Man 2, Intermediate Economics and Maths and Stats.

Kinda like when subject entry requirements for courses. Like Science for example you needed 2 science subjects and higher maths in the leaving just to be let into the course.

To be let into the BBS course itself, you need those 4 subjects. Then for individual subjects in that is another story.

Is that right? Any older/wiser posters confirm this?

I think it could be made a lot clearer, as BBS seems to a very popular choice. I know certain people who would be quite upset if they found they were stuck in Joint Honours Sociology!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

anyone have there JF French orals today? FAIL!

zuchum wrote: »
    anyone have there JF French orals today? FAIL!

Aye, t'was quite bad..... awful you might say.

Well I heard it was easier for us then on the people on Tuesday though. It seems we all got stuff about Sarkozy, but on Tuesday people were getting stuff on water polution in Toulose and electoral systems.

Still it's gotta be better than Law huh? 100% summer exam!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Hey I am JF student and I want to do business and economics next year, and I was wondering could someone just tell me what subjects I should pick. I also quite enjoy law but I am not sure what I can get out of it. Also does anyone know is it possible 2 start doing a joint honours degree and then drop it down to a single if the workload is too much? Any help would be great because I dont want to venture into the BESS office, where you feel stupid asking questions. :D

Hey I am JF student and I want to do business and economics next year, and I was wondering could someone just tell me what subjects I should pick. I also quite enjoy law but I am not sure what I can get out of it. Also does anyone know is it possible 2 start doing a joint honours degree and then drop it down to a single if the workload is too much? Any help would be great because I dont want to venture into the BESS office, where you feel stupid asking questions. :D

If you do Management 1 and 2, Economy of Ireland, Intermediate Economics and Maths and Stats you would be able to do both single and joint honours in business and economics. And you'd have room for a 6th of your choice.

• Advertisement

Ok cool thanks, and i think law is way easier than french, saying this from a completely bias point of view, since i hate french, and also i quite enjoy law.

Does anyone know what the introduction to finance and investments courses are like because they sound pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Also does anyone know is it possible 2 start doing a joint honours degree and then drop it down to a single if the workload is too much?
    The workload is theoretically the same for single honours and joint honours degrees in BESS, but there are economies of scope in single honours courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

BESS kids suck. That is all.

Does anyone know what the introduction to finance and investments courses are like because they sound pretty interesting.

I presume you mean Applied Finance and Investment Analysis.

I did IA before Prof. Honohan started teaching and found it a pretty easy course - if you keep on top of the course work you will be fine.

Ap. Fin is a very, very easy course.

europerson wrote: »
    The workload is theoretically the same for single honours and joint honours degrees in BESS, but there are economies of scope in single honours courses.

If thats the case then whats the point of doing a single honours course then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If thats the case then whats the point of doing a single honours course then? :confused:
    Potential reasons include: it's more interesting; it's more enjoyable; it's more applicable to what you want to do; you can't fucking stand the Business School anymore.

Antithetic wrote: »
    Potential reasons include: it's more interesting; it's more enjoyable; it's more applicable to what you want to do; you can't fucking stand the Business School anymore.

Thats seems like a motivated reason. lol. Im gonna try the business and economics degree thingy for a while anyways. I want to do the law course, but Im thinking its a waste of time because I could do something that mite come in handy later on in course. Law is great, but seems sorta a waste of time if im not gonna get anything out of it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Antithetic wrote: »
    Yes, as Antithetic says, the major motivation is that a single honours degree allows a student to specialise and to hone his/her skills in what he/she wants to do, rather than taking two disparate subjects. Quite often, this means a more interesting and enjoyable degree course for a student.
    Thats seems like a motivated reason. lol. Im gonna try the business and economics degree thingy for a while anyways. I want to do the law course, but Im thinking its a waste of time because I could do something that mite come in handy later on in course. Law is great, but seems sorta a waste of time if im not gonna get anything out of it. :(
    No course I've taken in College has ever been a complete waste of time: even JF Introduction to Sociology had occasionally useful moments.

• Advertisement

europerson wrote: »
    No course I've taken in College has ever been a complete waste of time: even JF Introduction to Sociology had occasionally useful moments.

Yea i suppose so, I wasnt saying its a complete waste of time, Im just thinking that I could choose something that could come in handy later on which is directly related to my degree. Ah i hate making decisions! :( For example in secondary school I did History which I liked and done pretty well in, but looking back now I probably should have done Accounting.

Advertisement