Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

BESS kids suck. That is all.
    Yes, but some of us are very good at it. Sucking, that is, not BESS. I'm sh*t at BESS.

europerson wrote: »
    No course I've taken in College has ever been a complete waste of time: even JF Introduction to Sociology had occasionally useful moments.
    I live my life by one motto: What Would Giddens Do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I live my life by one motto: What Would Giddens Do?
    Get his postgrads to write his books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Keogh are you in here you mad rasher?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Hey if there is any JF students on this that did the sociology essay this year would you fancy sharing? Ive one on McDonaldisation if anyone wants it. It got 67%, which isnt a first, but its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Hey if there is any JF students on this that did the sociology essay this year would you fancy sharing? Ive one on McDonaldisation if anyone wants it. It got 67%, which isnt a first, but its pretty good.[/QUOTE

If you go through this very long thread you'll find various essays which have been posted for the summer exams. Sociology and Political Science are pretty well covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Right, forms gone in, with no clashes I should be doing:

Management 1
    Management 2
    Intermediate Economics
    Economy of Ireland
    Maths and Stats
    Economics of Public Policy

Bring on SF! I'm actually really looking forward to it, not just because I'm dropping Sociology and Politics;)

Hope to see an improvement in Business next year otherwise I'm going with pure Economics.

Randomness, House of Wolves, greengoose and Zuchum, I think you guys are the only other JFs here, what are thinking for next year? Anybody thinking of doing Schols?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

I think I'll do Business/Politics. With the intention of sticking with it all the way through.

I had know idea so many people were also choosing this option, cool.

Randomness wrote: »
    I think I'll do Business/Politics. With the intention of sticking with it all the way through.

I had know idea so many people were also choosing this option, cool.

Politics seems really popular this year actually! I wasn't the biggest fan to be honest. I thought it was interesting enough but not really something I'd want to do as a degree.

How are you fixed for this Politics exam then? He gave very few hints in the final lecture actually, I was really suprised! In Sociology both lecturers told us pretty much exactly what topics would come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FootballsKing

Could anyone tell me about the exam timetable structure in JS? i am pursueing a single honor economics degree and considering 6 economics subjects but if the summer exams were all bunched together or else did not finish untill far after the other options, i would just do some business courses and also the mandatory ones for single honour economics. I know this may sound fickle but in the past I have tended to perform poorly when exams are bunched too close and also when everyone else appears to be off expect me! Sillly i know! im also aware that exams time tables change on a yearly basis but any info would be much apprecitated!

Thank you

Could anyone tell me about the exam timetable structure in JS? i am pursueing a single honor economics degree and considering 6 economics subjects but if the summer exams were all bunched together or else did not finish untill far after the other options, i would just do some business courses and also the mandatory ones for single honour economics. I know this may sound fickle but in the past I have tended to perform poorly when exams are bunched too close and also when everyone else appears to be off expect me! Sillly i know! im also aware that exams time tables change on a yearly basis but any info would be much apprecitated!

Thank you

The exam timetables are online, just download the js one instead of the sf one and have a look. 3rd year is the last time that you have any option to do courses which are not part of your degree in single honors so i'd recommend taking a business or politics subject just for interest sake.

• Advertisement

Right, forms gone in, with no clashes I should be doing:

Management 1
    Management 2
    Intermediate Economics
    Economy of Ireland
    Maths and Stats
    Economics of Public Policy

Bring on SF! I'm actually really looking forward to it, not just because I'm dropping Sociology and Politics;)

Hope to see an improvement in Business next year otherwise I'm going with pure Economics.

Randomness, House of Wolves, greengoose and Zuchum, I think you guys are the only other JFs here, what are thinking for next year? Anybody thinking of doing Schols?

Eh im doing basically the same, but im doing the law module instead of economics of public policy. I might change my mind tho, and get rid of the law because I could do something a little bit more useful. Il see after my exam results I guess if I want to stick with law a bit longer. lol Im setting myself up for the economics and business degree. not sure which i prefer yet actually. I think i might give schols a shot, although i dont think il get it. Im alrite at college, but im no whiz kid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Eh im doing basically the same, but im doing the law module instead of economics of public policy.(
    Yeah I'm gonna go for Business and Economics with the Law module as well. Initially I was planning on doing Business/Politics but because 2 of the subjects for Business and Economics overlap decided to choose that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Eh im doing basically the same, but im doing the law module instead of economics of public policy. I might change my mind tho, and get rid of the law because I could do something a little bit more useful.
    For me, the economics of public policy class was the most useless sublect i ever had in college. Barrett is very amusing, and is a real 'college character', but what he teaches is based on dubious statistics from the 1980's, so it has extremely limited application to public policy today.

For me, the economics of public policy class was the most useless sublect i ever had in college. Barrett is very amusing, and is a real 'college character', but what he teaches is based on dubious statistics from the 1980's, so it has extremely limited application to public policy today.

Ah rite, hmmm well il leave my options the way they are for the minute then. I mite as well have one interesting class with law. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I agree, JF Sociology was of more use. And that's not an easy thing for me to say.

I agree, JF Sociology was of more use. And that's not an easy thing for me to say.

Just have to see that comment written again. Lollers. Oh the memories of your moaning.

Ugh trying to get through so much work in so little time. BESS seems pretty easy, but when you actually have to study it, its bloody loads. Whatever people say about BESS being easy, I'd like to see them try to do all the work. And its only JF BESS! :eek:

Ugh trying to get through so much work in so little time. BESS seems pretty easy, but when you actually have to study it, its bloody loads. Whatever people say about BESS being easy, I'd like to see them try to do all the work. And its only JF BESS! :eek:

BESS is pretty easy - you can get a II.I if you do all course work and cram the weeke before.. thats how most people I know got got them...

BESS is pretty easy - you can get a II.I if you do all course work and cram the weeke before.. thats how most people I know got got them...

I'm counting on this being true!

Sociology really is the biggest load of BS I've ever read in my entire life....

I'm counting on this being true!

Sociology really is the biggest load of BS I've ever read in my entire life....

Yea it really is. Pierre Bourdieu doesnt make any sense. He has one point, which is fair enough, but then he makes this point into three pages of nonsense, repeating his point, and using quite difficult language to make it seem more complex. I really needed the lecture notes to get points on that.

but yea im not too worried, cramming isnt fun, and i just wanted to complain. i think i should be alright in the end, hopefully :D

• Advertisement

Any ideas on what is going be examined on the JF politics exam? raj didnt give us much help on that one, apart from saying power is gonna come up which isnt exactly a suprise. I have a good feeling about mass media!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

im just studying what his slides are on...which isn't that bad considering theres only around 15 or so real topics he did.
    Europes definitely gonna come up because it's all Michael Geary did...but it's so very very boring...

zuchum wrote: »
    im just studying what his slides are on...which isn't that bad considering theres only around 15 or so real topics he did.
    Europes definitely gonna come up because it's all Michael Geary did...but it's so very very boring...

Yea thats true, Im doing the same, just with the book open to look good. :D
    About the europe thing, did raj not say that stuff would only be coming up from material that he covered, which i know applies to the guest lecturers, but it wouldnt it also apply to Michael Geary as well?
    Then again what would be the point of those lectures!

What you covering for Sociology?
    Ive done Pierre Bourdieu, consumerism question and mcdonaldisation. still have one area to cover tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

From Darius half of the course I'm doing Veblen and Hebdige, and just for back up,I'm doing wants and needs, the Don Slater article...

For Anne's half I'm re reading my essay on gender basically and swapping essays with other people because she said they would be the questions coming up.

I reckon that should be ok..considering they bsically told us what would be on the test...

Just finished reading 2 business readings...just 11 to go! Which do you think are the important ones? I think I may have lose 1 or 2...I seem to remember a Business system from Raw Materials into retail..but can't find it in any readings...it seems important...

I just hope some of this crammed material stays in my head..

zuchum wrote: »
    I seem to remember a Business system from Raw Materials into retail..but can't find it in any readings...it seems important...
    I remember from the start of the year that the Business School actually forgot to put in a few pages from one of the readings. That might be the problem.

The next week or so will be no fun whatsoever. Cramming has served me reasonably well in the exams thus far, I'm just hoping I'll be ok for these.

Well the important business ones are probably the ones he talks about in his slides. The slides are pretty good if you are really trying to cram, or just to get a basic idea of the the paper. then im thinking that the stuff we covered in the tutorials will probably need a mention so im gonna read through that stuff. That will just need to be skimmed through because I actually wrote that stuff out so it shouldnt be that hard to remember i hope.

Chandler (hate that man), Mintzbeg and Porter are the names that come to mind......

realised i only need to get like 20% to pass Business so im not overly worried bout it.

Just finished going through gender there. Think i should be able to waffle for 4 pages on that now. Men are treated better than women is the basic arguement, learn a few names and thats that done ....lol

On to economics now.....not so great...only at like the start of macro. :(

realised i only need to get like 20% to pass Business so im not overly worried bout it. (
    Could be wrong here I but thought it was the case that you needed to pass the final exam in Business in order to pass the year.

Marshy wrote: »
    Could be wrong here I but thought it was the case that you needed to pass the final exam in Business in order to pass the year.

Hmmm you could be right. You sound right! lol. well i think i should be able to pass. Business is english so if you have a general idea of the stuff, and have a half logical brain, then you should be able to pass (said while touching wood) if you write stuff down that sounds right then you should get some marks e.g pure navigator business and a vertical silo, guessing them working out well in the tests. lol

Im not going in thinking I only want 20% anyways :D

how far are you in the economics?

how far are you in the economics?
    I've gone over micro, but not very well at all. I'm basically relying on day-before revision for most of the subjects.

There's a pretty good choice for the long questions in Economics. 3 out of 6 I think but having said that I'll probably need all the help I can get.

• Advertisement

Marshy wrote: »
    I've gone over micro, but not very well at all. I'm basically relying on day-before revision for most of the subjects.

There's a pretty good choice for the long questions in Economics. 3 out of 6 I think but having said that I'll probably need all the help I can get.

Yea same here. Im trying to cut down stuff so I can learn it easier the day before. I think the macro slides are actually pretty good, because the way i look at it is, the lecturer finds those areas particularly important so he is gonna exam them, not things hidden away in the book. im basically doing his slides, with the book open so i can look at the graphs and draw a few out...thats the best i can do for economics....i covered micro, but i basically just read the chapters highlighting...not great....

at least it seems other people are in the same boat as me for these exams :D.......

i have to work sunday tho, so thats one day revision sorta gone.....:(

Advertisement