Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

Yea same here. Im trying to cut down stuff so I can learn it easier the day before. I think the macro slides are actually pretty good, because the way i look at it is, the lecturer finds those areas particularly important so he is gonna exam them, not things hidden away in the book. im basically doing his slides, with the book open so i can look at the graphs and draw a few out...thats the best i can do for economics....i covered micro, but i basically just read the chapters highlighting...not great....

at least it seems other people are in the same boat as me for these exams :D.......

i have to work sunday tho, so thats one day revision sorta gone.....:(

are you the guy studying in the Official Pubs part of the library?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

are you the guy studying in the Official Pubs part of the library?

Eh im in the law section of the college at the moment. whats the "offical Pubs part of the library"? (feeling slightly paranoid at the minute lol)

hehe... could be you all right! beside the microfilm machine?

Indeed.....great ive got a stalker in the library. lol :D

You are in the Opubs section... the OPUB tag on each book shelf should give it away!

• Advertisement

Yea alrite no need to give out. lol. i was thinking it was, but i wasnt sure.....i usually dont come to this part, only that the ussher is full at like 9.01. lol

Figured out who I am yet? Nice top by the way!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

sorry to interrupt this bit of boardsie stalking!

anyone want to point me in the direction of some (haha)"hot topics" to study for economics?

i think i'm trying to cover too much. with the other subjects i've narrowed it down but economics doesn't really afford that luxury, well unless people have ideas of what's really really important?

are you the guy sitting to my left? im thinking your a girl due to the name, but i cant see anyone else on a laptop!

thanks bout the top, it just oozes with BESS doesnt it. lol

Yeah.. being the only other person here practically, let alone the other person with a laptop gives it away a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

About the europe thing, did raj not say that stuff would only be coming up from material that he covered, which i know applies to the guest lecturers, but it wouldnt it also apply to Michael Geary as well?
    Then again what would be the point of those lectures!

Do you really think the global politics won't come up?? Damn, that means I have to study another topic!!

Yeah.. being the only other person here practically, let alone the other person with a laptop gives it away a bit!

Yea cant say id make the best detective. lol. well hello virtually. :D

For the economics thing, if you look at the macro slides you'll see pretty clearly whats gonna be asked i think. id say something on supply and demand possibly. lol but yea the multiplier effect, shifts in the curves, recessionary gaps and inflationary gaps sound nice. elasticity, cross price etc...economics is so vast everything can be asked i suppose. :(

swimfan22 wrote: »

About the europe thing, did raj not say that stuff would only be coming up from material that he covered, which i know applies to the guest lecturers, but it wouldnt it also apply to Michael Geary as well?
    Then again what would be the point of those lectures!

Do you really think the global politics won't come up?? Damn, that means I have to study another topic!!

No i not saying its not coming up, i was just asking did anyone else thing that it mite not because he said material he covered is only coming up. what would be the point of those lectures on global politics if we didnt get asked on it. the guy michael Geary would probably be pretty annoyed at raj!

I hope so. I don't think it's the worst topic, so a question on it would be fine by me! :)

Yea i think il have a look at it. i done history for the LC so i sorta learned all that European Union history jazz. I think mass media is a easy enough topic and pretty examinable. hope to get an essay on that one.
    any other topics in politics you think/hope will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

did you guys say hello in real life?? or even wave??

for economics im relying on my leaving cert micro knowledge and studyng the macro slides the day before....i'll be ok right?...right??
    Mass Media...seems A.O.K..wouldn't mind that,Power,and Political parties being three of 4 questions...cos theyre the only ones I've studied...so far...

It seems everyone else is just as fooked as me which is nice...unless you're all lying :confused:

Is anyone else planning to waffle their way through Sociology completely? And do past JF's know if that'll work...??

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

For Econ I've covered most of micro, think I know it pretty well but I'm not too sure, I just read the chapters from the book and practiced the questions. I'm counting on macro still being fairly fresh in my mind so I think I'll prob end up doing that the night before.

I was in the Law library too today, creepy. It used to always be so easy to get a seat there but now it's always packed too!

(Mini rant: space next to me had books on it from 2 til 9.45 nobody sitting though, at 9.45 bloke comes in takes his books and leaves, effectively using the library as a mini cloak room, felt really pissed off as it took me about 30 mins of wandering around all 3 libraries to find a seat in the 1st place!)

Think I'll head in tomorrow too, might attempt some business, not really sure what to focus on though, I'll prob do Chandler, Porters 5 forces thing and Mintzberg, all the other articles were kinda BS though. What are people thinking for the essay question? I'd be suprised if corporate responsibility wasn't one of the options.

Politics today I did Classification of Systems, Ideologies, Democracy (that one was confusing!) and a bit of Constitutions.

Did anyone else do that survey that the BESS Office sent round? Notice that half the questions were on Maths and Stats?

zuchum wrote: »
    did you guys say hello in real life?? or even wave??
    Nope we didnt say hello in real life, that would just be plain weird. lol

yea for economics i didnt do it for the leaving cert so its slightly more difficult, altho i think at this stage ive got my head around it.

for sociology yea im sorta planning to waffle. The day before i plan to just learn a few of the names and possibly a few definitions, and read through the 4 topics so I have an idea what they are about and that should hopefully be enough. One of my strong points is waffling so i think i should be ok for sociology. (sociology=waffle)

also there isnt much point of lying on this, since I havnt got a clue who anyone is, (apart from that guy that seen me in the library) so we're not trying to impress anyone. I think people are a bit more mature now n can admit when they study. lol

For politics, I've done mass media, political parties, nations/states/political systems and all that jazz, policy process and global politics. Though the states/nations one has been a while so might look through it again!

Sociology will be pure waffle. An hour and a half per question is just ridiculous! There isn't THAT much to write!!

For politics, I've done mass media, political parties, nations/states/political systems and all that jazz, policy process and global politics. Though the states/nations one has been a while so might look through it again!

Sociology will be pure waffle. An hour and a half per question is just ridiculous! There isn't THAT much to write!!

Yea its pretty ridiculous, im thinking alot of people will be leaving early in that one, some people will probably be finished in an hour. I mite need 2 hours at max, giving myself plenty of time to prepare.....

Sociology is the worse subject ever. all those classes were basically pointless. im glad i stayed in bed for the majority of them.....

• Advertisement

They really were, especially the second half of the year. Just glad I don't have to do it again, ever! :D My head tells me I'll be finished really early, but I just have this aversion to leaving exams early, so we'll see on the day... :(

They really were, especially the second half of the year. Just glad I don't have to do it again, ever! :D My head tells me I'll be finished really early, but I just have this aversion to leaving exams early, so we'll see on the day... :(

Yea im sorta the same. It was sorta forced on you to believe that leaving exams early is bad from the LC. you can spend time reading over your paper etc. i think il be doing alot of reading in this exam if i stay for it all. lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Whats the layout for the business and politics exams? :confused:

Sociology should be a doddle now that we know whats coming up, those readings are ridiculously tedious though, especially conspicuous consumption

Tricked wrote: »

Sociology should be a doddle now that we know whats coming up, those readings are ridiculously tedious though, especially conspicuous consumption
    conspicuous consumption took me around 40 minutes to get through...and all I got from it was,"lower class" people have to buy things to make themselves look good basically..or somethingto that end...

although I did nearly get a googlewhack using 2 words from it..so its not all bad!:D

B]Examination]
    Assignment questions for your Tutorials a good guide to exam questions
    Sec A: Q 1: MCQ [20 Q answer all
    Sec B: Q, 2, 3 and 4: short essay questions testing content and understanding of concepts and readings [answer all Q 2 page max][
    Sec C: Q5 and Q6: [Critical Essays answer 1
    Final grade: 2*10% + 20% + 10% + 50% = 100%
    Must pass Summer Exam to pass course ]

Im not sure what the politics is like. hmmm that proves that you need to pass the exam to pass the year. oh well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Tricked wrote: »

Business - 20 MCQs (you either know it or you don't, but there's no negative
    marking so have a guess)
    - 3 complusory technical type questions (i.e specifics/no waffle)
    - 2 broad essay questions, do 1 (i.e brings in your own knowledge, case
    studies, waffle allowed but you'd have to be good at it ;))

Politics - 12/13 questions, answer 4. You will be bound to be able to answer 4

Even though we know what's coming up I actually think sociology will be a bit tricky in terms of actually writing about a topic for 1.5 hours. I know people will leave early but at 1.5 hours they are really expecting detailed,quoted,references,case study type answers I think.

Which topic do people think anne will leave out? I'm thinking McDonaldization (i.e organizations) given that 80% of people did their essays on it.

EDIT- sorry didn't see your reply I was typing mine in between course compass, my new home.

why did i never hear hat assignment questions were a good guide for exam??:eek:

Randomness wrote: »
    Business - 20 MCQs (you either know it or you don't, but there's no negative
    marking so have a guess)
    - 3 complusory technical type questions (i.e specifics/no waffle)
    - 2 broad essay questions, do 1 (i.e brings in your own knowledge, case
    studies, waffle allowed but you'd have to be good at it ;))

Politics - 12/13 questions, answer 4. You will be bound to be able to answer 4

Even though we know what's coming up I actually think sociology will be a bit tricky in terms of actually writing about a topic for 1.5 hours. I know people will leave early but at 1.5 hours they are really expecting detailed,quoted,references,case study type answers I think.

Which topic do people think anne will leave out? I'm thinking McDonaldization (i.e organizations) given that 80% of people did their essays on it.

EDIT- sorry didn't see your reply I was typing mine in between course compass, my new home.

its cool, you answered it alot better.

about the sociology, Im not too sure if they would leave it out. If 80% of people done there essay on it, then 80% are gonna study that section in detail, cus they know it the best. I cant imagine them trying to trick us, cus they want us to all past JF sociology, since it is only an introduction course. I even remember her mentioning McDonaldisation in the last class, so I dont no. She mentioned gender as well. I think it will come up, but thats only my opinion.........

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

its cool, you answered it alot better.

about the sociology, Im not too sure if they would leave it out. If 80% of people done there essay on it, then 80% are gonna study that section in detail, cus they know it the best. I cant imagine them trying to trick us, cus they want us to all past JF sociology, since it is only an introduction course. I even remember her mentioning McDonaldisation in the last class, so I dont no. She mentioned gender as well. I think it will come up, but thats only my opinion.........

Seems everyone is doing the topic they did for the essay + Gender or McDonaldisation. It's what I'm doing anyway... I'm really not motivated to study it at all though... especially Dariuz's half, it's so tedious....

Can't wait for the exams to be over now, I'm really wouldn't mind if I just passed everything, I don't really care about my overall grade for the year.

I've heard because BESS is a common first year that most subjects are graded easily because you don't continue on with all of them. So for example because the vast majority of us aren't continuing with Sociology, so they wont be marking the papers too tough.

I'm guessing everyone's just cramming Business tomorrow then yeah?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Thanks, great replies.

Yeah tomorrow will be a fun one, I've summarised about half the papers so at least it's not like reading everything for the first time like the sociology crap but I'm still not looking forward to some of the papers (Titans = Drivel).

The first paper is a whopper too, I'll probably try to get that out of the way tonight

Advertisement