Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Seems everyone is doing the topic they did for the essay + Gender or McDonaldisation. It's what I'm doing anyway... I'm really not motivated to study it at all though... especially Dariuz's half, it's so tedious....

Can't wait for the exams to be over now, I'm really wouldn't mind if I just passed everything, I don't really care about my overall grade for the year.

I've heard because BESS is a common first year that most subjects are graded easily because you don't continue on with all of them. So for example because the vast majority of us aren't continuing with Sociology, so they wont be marking the papers too tough.

I'm guessing everyone's just cramming Business tomorrow then yeah?:)

Yup thats what i thought for the sociology.

unfortunely tomo i dont have the luxury of the day to cram, ive got to work (to make sure i keep my job for the summer) so i dont no, maybe a look through in the evening.......

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Tricked wrote: »
    Thanks, great replies.

Yeah tomorrow will be a fun one, I've summarised about half the papers so at least it's not like reading everything for the first time like the sociology crap but I'm still not looking forward to some of the papers (Titans = Drivel).

The first paper is a whopper too, I'll probably try to get that out of the way tonight

i thoguht titans was a fairly easy read because it was basically just anecdotes...I didn't think it would be the kind of thing they'd really ask us on though.

I'm starting to get really worried about Economics now...I've lost the book,so I'm basically relying on Leaving Cert and Internet to get a pass. That said, like many others, all I want is a pass this year I really couldn't care less...pleeeease dont make me do resits..please BESS!

Stupid FA Cup, stealing all my time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'm guessing everyone's just cramming Business tomorrow then yeah?:)
    Yeah tote, in fact thats basically my plan for all the exams. Actually just as well there's a couple of days break after Maths and Stats before Law. I've really neglected that all year. I'm hoping I'll be able to learn off a few Law answers the days before that exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

zuchum wrote: »
    Stupid FA Cup, stealing all my time..

Champions league final :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Tricked wrote: »
    Champions league final :(

It's a more valid excuse then 'I'm just not arsed':p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

If your good at writing on the spot/ making stuff sound good a lot of business could be summed up in this way, but you still need to read it for the short questions I suppose (e.g vertical silo. pg.29??, paragraph 2, line 4 - hehe). It's really all the techincal stuff like porter/gadiesh/mintzberg that you need to have clear in your head.

Those MCQs are 50% in economics, that's a lot of marks for very specific stuff. Im basically living in course compass for that part.

Politics (hopefully) will be a good run through exercise in general knowledge with a few techinal bits thrown in for good luck.

Sociology - Anne's should be fine, Darius' I'm not happy with at all cause what the hell is he actually talking about? Only a certain amount of waffle could get you through "the eye" - haha I'm not doing that anyway!

Maths should be fine, Stats not as good but I reckon he'll go by the mock/HT exam. Could be wrong though. However 40% class fail for maths (mt exam) and 60% fail for stats (ht exam) means I doubt they can afford a repeat of that, although do they actually care if half of us fail or would they try and avoid that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

I'm just PRAYING networks comes up in Anne's section, I did my essay on it. I looked at the sociological imagination stuff, but REALLY hope I don't have to write about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Big welcome to all ye new BESS heads, it's a good course. Oh and don't be intimidated in posting in other threads on this forum either.

Antithetic wrote: »
    Big welcome to all ye new BESS heads, it's a good course. Oh and don't be intimidated in posting in other threads on this forum either.

hehe, a few of us have been around since the start of the year but exams have brought out "the scared" in all of us! here is a good place to express that!

Good to see so many scared BESS students in one place:)

I heard that in Stats they want to pass as many people as possible, that's why Jacco did the mock paper because it is a very good indication of what will come up in the real thing *hint hint (from my TA, sounds pretty reliable)

The fact that no older BESS students are posting about their upcoming exam fears leads me to believe that it's only a JF thing :D

• Advertisement

The fact that no older BESS students are posting about their upcoming exam fears leads me to believe that it's only a JF thing :D

I've never been so relaxed about exams in my life. Though part of that may be the physical manifestation of the stress (twitching, an addiction to Lucozade, regular vomiting). Perhaps it's because I've "burned out" or maybe it's because I've never been as prepared for exams. I dunno.

Either way, I'm a little afraid of the fact that I don't have The Fear.

JF and SF are easy. Good luck in JS ;).

I've never been so relaxed about exams in my life. Though part of that may be the physical manifestation of the stress (twitching, an addiction to Lucozade, regular vomiting). Perhaps it's because I've "burned out" or maybe it's because I've never been as prepared for exams. I dunno.

Either way, I'm a little afraid of the fact that I don't have The Fear.

JF and SF are easy. Good luck in JS ;).

I am the same - I have just accepted that if the exams doesn't work I shall either start work as a fisherman or horse transporter*, like Ex-Ibid said, I also don't know whether I am burned out or just fed up.. but all I want is for them to be over and I can start my post undergrad life.

Also, JS and SF are no bother, JS are the worst.

*For those who don't know me, I have a deadliest catch fetish

my first exam is in 5 hours...cant sleep...sketch

I got some sleep but went to bed too late so I'm tired. This is the earliest I've got up in ages. Anyway reasonably confident about Business. The terrible thing is that I know once I finish that I'll have to go home to do intense economics revision ie. cramming practically the whole course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

First years fail maths cos A) they dont know teres a mock test and B) they dont know that to practice the stats questions in the book gets you far (maybe that has changed). They say Maths is impossible. Get hundereds of euros on grinds in the summer. Realise all along it wasn't that hard.

I was warned about this in first year so I avoided the usual slump. So I'm warning you.

I take back what i said about the 6 subjects in 3rd year. So much to learn and no time to learn it. If you did your projects wrong (non existen or fighting or retard group) then you have to study the WHOLE course literally a day before the exam.

Hint for third year: Go back to basics when doing your group projects. Go through every slide from day 1 and see if it can apply to projects. This gets you a First in projects and saves study time at the end. Luckily I am not in a bad position (because of high term test and essay scores) but people from the groups I did bad in are close to failing. Also when picking groups - don't automatically assume some people will do **** all because they're supposedly lazy. Sometimes the brightest, cleverest people in the class that you are good friends with can be the worst to work with because they either can't handle groups, can't handle criticism, think they know it all and end up going the wrong direction or do a huge chunk of work then do nothing else and give out to the rest for "doing no work".

Group projects are death.

business was fine for me...but 2 hours sleep last night..means my plan to do the entire economics course today isn't going great...seriously worried about failing this one...all i can rely on is leaving cert knowledge

business was fine for me...but 2 hours sleep last night..means my plan to do the entire economics course today isn't going great...seriously worried about failing this one...all i can rely on is leaving cert knowledge

At least you have leaving cert knowledge unlike me. lol I had a dreadful sleep two nites in a row, and its not cus im stressing over exams n such. not getting my fix of sleep has terrible effects on the study.

yea business was fine, d long question wasnt amazing but everything was grand. MCQ were great.

i suppose since we only have to answer 3 long questions, u sud be able to get two done from the micro half (because appartenly micro economics is basically leaving cert economies).....

Yeah Business was grand I think. Shorts were good and although the longer Qs weren't as easy as they might've been they were still ok.

Now to cover Economics...

Im doomed in economics, its scary that im reading things for the first time.....:(

...................:eek: + :confused: = :mad: + :(.........that's all that can be said....

• Advertisement

That economics was appaulingly bad. I'd consider economics one of my best subjects, but that was just terrible! The macro questions were worse I though! None of the Mathsy stuff was asked in macro, it was all just theory!!! I'd be lucky to scrape a pass in that. I think I did well enough in the 2 term tests though.

Sociology now, just have to read through pages of this crap.

None of the Mathsy stuff was asked in macro, it was all just theory!!!
    That sentence reads so strange to me: maths is theory :). I had Economic Theory today and it was basically all derivations and a little differential calculus.
    I'd be lucky to scrape a pass in that. I think I did well enough in the 2 term tests though.
    Don't worry about it, if everyone's grades are crap they'll mark relatively easier. If you did well in the term tests you might have performed better than you think. Regardless, focus on the other subjects.
    Sociology now, just have to read through pages of this crap.
    Best of luck with that. I remember learning one JF Sociology topic on the train to the RDS. It will all be over soon and you will get to look back, with previous generations of BESS students, and laugh at just how shit Sociology really is :)

I didn't like one section of Economic Theory today..

Really **** way to start exams especially as I put so much bloody work into this course.

That sentence reads so strange to me: maths is theory :). I had Economic Theory today and it was basically all derivations and a little differential calculus.

I meant like instead of asking you to calculate aggregate expenditure, it asked you to define and describe aggregate expenditure. There was no calculations involved at all. Just defining things... Maybe it's just because I wasn't expecting that style of question.

I've yet to hear from someone who thought they did well....:(

I think after sociology things should brighten up, it's the one I've been dreading so...

For sociology I literally have no plan yet...reading through friends essays on Networks and McDonaldisation for Anne's side of the course, and looking at the chapters in the book too...

For Darius, its just reading Veblen and Hebdige...and hoping i can write more than a couple of pages on that..

also,does anyone know what percentage of people have to do at least 1 resit?

For sociology I literally have no plan yet...reading through friends essays on Networks and McDonaldisation for Anne's side of the course, and looking at the chapters in the book too...

For Darius, its just reading Veblen and Hebdige...and hoping i can write more than a couple of pages on that..

also,does anyone know what percentage of people have to do at least 1 resit?

If you have time you should look at darius's slides. One of the first ones deals with pierre bourdieu, and the slides basically tell you exactly what the essay means, actually they tell you more, if you read them you could defintely write something.

also economics was dreadful, although it wasnt quite as bad as i expected, because i thought i knew absolutely nothing. i mite have scraped a pass. drawing graphs and not knowing what they mean isnt a great sign tho.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

Sociology = death :mad:

Once it's over I can relax...

I dont see the big scare in sociology. its just gonna be like writing an article in english, and once you know the facts, are capable of making loads of unimportant points then it will be grand. i was just sleeping for the last few hours and playing gta. starting to look over stuff now. politics will be harder than sociology id say. only thing with sociology is its extremely boring and tedious, which makes it harder to study.....

I dont see the big scare in sociology. its just gonna be like writing an article in english, and once you know the facts, are capable of making loads of unimportant points then it will be grand. i was just sleeping for the last few hours and playing gta. starting to look over stuff now. politics will be harder than sociology id say. only thing with sociology is its extremely boring and tedious, which makes it harder to study.....

hehe..I held off on GTA til after the exams...wishing I hadn't now though..

I think Politics should be OK. Thirteen questions means if you study a few around half of the topics in his slides you should be able to get a decent enough essay out of at least 4 questions. My problem with sociology is the vagueness...and the length said vaueness may have to result to...either way...im off to study! ...now! ...soon! maybe later...

• Advertisement

hehe..I held off on GTA til after the exams...wishing I hadn't now though..

I think Politics should be OK. Thirteen questions means if you study a few around half of the topics in his slides you should be able to get a decent enough essay out of at least 4 questions. My problem with sociology is the vagueness...and the length said vaueness may have to result to...either way...im off to study! ...now! ...soon! maybe later...

lol yea ive held off buying it, but my room mate has it, and hes finished college. arrived home after the exam and he is sitting playing it since 8 in the morning after coming home at like 4. its extremely addictive, so i just gave it go, that turned into 2 hours.

and yea the vagueness is a problem, but the essays the we handed up before wasnt ground breaking stuff and wasnt extremely long. im gonna write about 4-6 pages (hopefully) and do all that planning stuff before i start.

yea politics should be ok, but its slightly more defintion based....

anyways back to study....damn distracting internet!

Advertisement