Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

getting GTA on monday after french:p

I really doubt my ability to produce 6 pages of waffle tomorrow. Sure I can make up crap, but six pages worth will be hard to do.... I'm probably going to end up leaving early.

Politics should be ok yeah, 13 questions so everything is probably going to come up. It's one of the main subjects I've been focusing on so hopefully it works out ok.

Tomorrow is the last time we'll ever have to look at sociology:D I'm looking forward to that more than anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

You know your feelings towards sociology when........while your studying...... someone tells you Dustin is on in the Eurovision tonight and for a longer than normal amount of time you actually contemplate going to watch it.

Sociology is fine. I studied the night before and got 75 in the final back in the day. Just learn off a few points and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Randomness wrote: »
    You know your feelings towards sociology when........while your studying...... someone tells you Dustin is on in the Eurovision tonight and for a longer than normal amount of time you actually contemplate going to watch it.

Ha a friend of mine wouldnt miss the eurovision for the world. He knows all the people that are going to be playing in it, listens to them, basically a fanatic, he even done his topic in french for the leaving cert on it. I know you might be thinking he has a bias for men, and yes this could be true....he really should get a real hobby and a real taste in music! that was slightly off the point, but yea luckily im in the library so i have no other option than to look through this stuff.

hmmm we'll see, sociology could be hard or easy...just gonna depend on the layout of the question i guess......

yea luckily im in the library so i have no other option than to look through this stuff.

Seems like you can either study or go on boards:)
    Us JFs have been quite active this past week, I wonder why.....

• Advertisement

Seems like you can either study or go on boards:)
    Us JFs have been quite active this past week, I wonder why.....

Ha yea thats my other option. i seem to use it quite a lot. :D

yea boards seems to be the bebo of BESS at the minute. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ha a friend of mine wouldnt miss the eurovision for the world. He knows all the people that are going to be playing in it, listens to them, basically a fanatic, he even done his topic in french for the leaving cert on it. I know you might be thinking he has a bias for men, and yes this could be true....he really should get a real hobby and a real taste in music! that was slightly off the point, but yea luckily im in the library so i have no other option than to look through this stuff.

hmmm we'll see, sociology could be hard or easy...just gonna depend on the layout of the question i guess......

He isnt ss classics is he?

Hard to believe there could be two people with the level of eurovision fanaticsm as the fella I know.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

"bias for men" is a class phrase, cant believe ive never heard it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Group projects are death.

Word. While I did like all the groups I ended up in for different things this year, there's never, ever a completely even sharing of the workload, and you end up either feeling like a bum and knowing you didn't really earn a good grade or feeling like a mule and knowing that other people's grades were affected by your work ethic. Neither is a fun feeling.

Re: Exams, good luck to everyone sitting them right now! I'd just like to take this opportunity to use yet another interweb forum to mention how much I hate Applied Finance. Stupid bloody capital budgeting and risk management. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

"Ohhhhh we're half way there-ere, ohhh wow we're livin on a prayer"

-Please excuse me, it just kinda happened. :D

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    He isnt ss classics is he?

Hard to believe there could be two people with the level of eurovision fanaticsm as the fella I know.:eek:

Nope he isnt, he is a JF in UCD...oh dear god there is two of them. This guy is defintely a fanatic. Some people are quite quite sad.....worrying :eek: and this is only in Ireland and people we know! My God there must be more of them......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

How is it that after a year of suffering through the cumbersome layout and tedious content of Heywood, I only discover now that there was fantastic secondary book on the course? Rod Hague's Comparative Government and Politics is brilliant. IMO; a much better introductory text. Any guesses as to what is likely for tomorrows Intro to Pol Sci?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

Yup the Hague & Harrop book is brilliant, use it to expand on Heywood who is, I agree, a bit tedious at times.

As for politics tomorrow... Thirteen questions, I'd say most (if not all) of what we've done will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

bright wrote: »
    Any guesses as to what is likely for tomorrows Intro to Pol Sci?

hopefully any four of Parties,Power,Ideology,Constitutions, Mass Media, and Judiciary....please!?

Ideologies, Democracy, Constitutions and States/Nations would be nice:)
    Power is a dead cert though. (I probably should study it:o)
    13 questions so I'd agree everything is likely to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

The bloody extra time and penalties in the football effectively ruined my chances of more study this evening. Guess its up early...

Marshy wrote: »
    The bloody extra time and penalties in the football effectively ruined my chances of more study this evening. Guess its up early...

Yeah kinda screwed me up too. Tried doing a bit with the match on in the background but it wasn't happening. Worst part is I don't usually follow football :o

Poor John Terry though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Marshy wrote: »

SO SO TRUE! But incredibly worth it, seeing John O Shea (WHO HADN'T EVEN PLAYED) lunge past Ballack as if he scored the winner! Totally worth resitting politics, what a game!

At this stage I'm thinking the first 5 chapters will have to suffice on the bus tommorrow, any study done tonight will be pointless. Good luck anyway guys!:o

What did people think of securities markets today?

Strange paper I thought....I expected a lot more derivation and working with equations but it turned out quite explanation based.

Sebs part was harder than I thought it was going to be (the first Q was completely out of the blue?). Surprised to see no options theory and I cant believe I didnt get to derive the consumption CAPM;)

Suppose the second part was what I expected but again more along the line of expain such and such or what is the economic interpretation off...........

Thing I didnt like is all the questions contained at least one part that was iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

zuchum wrote: »
    hopefully any four of Parties,Power,Ideology,Constitutions, Mass Media, and Judiciary....please!?

YES!!

that was grand,pretty open exam,questions on everything. nice one raj.

Now for maths and stats..the bane of my existence. I need to get 36% out of 80 in this one. and given my history in this course thats not looking great for me.

I know we have the stats exam pretty much..but any advice for maths?

also,I have a question for anyone who was there when jacco gave out the sheets with formulas and tables, is the normal and tdistribution the same as in the maths tables? cos if not im screwed...

• Advertisement

**** **** **** **** bastard bollocks ****ing bloody exams I ****ing hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

My feelings exactly. I really don't like exams!!!

Had Irish Politics yesterday which was pretty much grand exception the questions I would have liked to come up didn't!
    Then Accounting today which was a bit dodgy in parts and time was a problem as always!!

Applied Finance on Saturday (whats with that!) hopefully it goes better than the others and brings my average up. This year's exams are actually kinda scary with the whole getting an ordinary degree/restrcited repeats - I've never had to repeat an exam but still strikes a bit of extra fear into you when you come out of an exam and don't have great feelings about how it went!!

This has been the worst exam session of my life.. and it had to my bloody ****ing finals. ****ing waste of the year and work if I don't get a 2.1 which isn't looking ****ing likely now.
    Moorsy wrote: »
    My feelings exactly. I really don't like exams!!!

Had Irish Politics yesterday which was pretty much grand exception the questions I would have liked to come up didn't!
    Then Accounting today which was a bit dodgy in parts and time was a problem as always!!

Applied Finance on Saturday (whats with that!) hopefully it goes better than the others and brings my average up. This year's exams are actually kinda scary with the whole getting an ordinary degree/restrcited repeats - I've never had to repeat an exam but still strikes a bit of extra fear into you when you come out of an exam and don't have great feelings about how it went!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

This has been the worst exam session of my life.. and it had to my bloody ****ing finals. ****ing waste of the year and work if I don't get a 2.1 which isn't looking ****ing likely now.

Zarabra try not to sweat it. Realistically you are in the upper end of your class and a sizable chunk of the class get 2.1s. If you are having trouble, so too will everyone else and they can't very well give the whole class 2:2s. Plus you have a fancy dissertation to bring you up.

What Q's did you do Zaraba?

Honestly mate I wouldnt get worked over it yet. You never know what way college exams went in my experience.

Ive come out of exams thinking I got a first and didnt get anywhere near it and vice versa came out thinking I failed and got very good marks.

Im at the stage now where I dont even bother thinking about it til I have the result in my hand.

Also in my experience you always do better than you think in the final exams (been the case for me with Leaving, 1st, 2nd and 3rd year.)

Like I said it was a funny exam today....a lot of the questions caught me and others off guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

+1

I have never known so much about a subject and not been able to write a THING in an exam before.

I'm upset. I'm going to get drunk.
    me too

+1

I have never known so much about a subject and not been able to write a THING in an exam before.

I'm upset. I'm going to get drunk.

It does feel an awful waste of knowledge. All the ****e I learnt, the hours spent hunched over flashcards learning equations and models and how to test for such and such and it all came down Fama and Macbeth, a couple of things on the term structure and pure waffle:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

qwpu2mpvuk1yt14n5cpg.jpg

That's basically how my exam went today; same as zaraba's and Babybing's. The first part wasn't too bad, but the second part screwed me over big time. What was with the level of specificity in his questions? :mad:

europerson wrote: »
    qwpu2mpvuk1yt14n5cpg.jpg

That's basically how my exam went today; same as zaraba's and Babybing's. The first part wasn't too bad, but the second part screwed me over big time. What was with the level of specificity in his questions? :mad:

To be honest his half of the course was shocking from day 1 and I never he had a clue what he was doing. We had no guidance on the exam whatsoever save for being told that past papers would be useful which they were not in the slightest.

The only bit of solice is that many people seem to have the same complaints so maybe they'll be a bit more leniant on the marking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I echo the points about knowing so much and being able to show so little. People will see my result (particularly potential employers), and say "hey, this guy knows nothing about securities markets: let's not hire him". Of course the correct conclusion would be "This guy doesn't know a couple of particular papers inside out." I can't see my transcript saying that though. It's all just a big pile of ****.

Advertisement