Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Yea it was pretty similiar to the mock....the maths was harder than i expected tho and the stats easier. weird...

Yeah me too, kind of a weird exam. Glad it's over and we've only one left!

There's a lot to be said for having all your 6 exams squeezed into one week, however I do feel I may sleep for a year non-stop when they are finished.

Nearly finished first big college exams now.....I dunno they have definitely been strange...........but I feel I'm ready for 2nd year and focusing on the subjects I like best.

Also do supplementals look bad on your transcript? I think I might have to do one but maybe not. I probably did better than I think and it would be crap to just do bad in one exam and well in all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

bright wrote:
    ....Math and Stats - compensation pass, please. I just blanked for all of stats/

Hard luck man, exam brain freeze is the worst. Don't give up hope - just push hard in the rest of your subjects and you might get lucky.

JS Applied Finance was farcical, but in the best way possible. Literally the same paper as the last two years, with the occasional minor change and a few altered figures - some of the old company names still popped up in the middle of it. The people who took that as a 4th year course are lucky bastards - wish I could have done it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Privateer

shay_562 wrote: »
    The people who took that as a 4th year course are lucky bastards - wish I could have done it next year.
    I wish I had been able to as well... I've just got Financial Markets to go. Page after page of readings and course notes that are about as much use as tits on a nun.

After Securities Markets I'm starting to have panic attacks about whether I answered all the questions I was supposed to for International Business... Can anyone quickly summarise Barry's questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

so JF French...

whats going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

zuchum wrote: »
    so JF French...

whats going on there?

I wouldnt have a clue. thankfully! im doing law...100% exam, fun times. really should start studying, not lying around listening to music! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

zuchum wrote: »
    so JF French...

whats going on there?

Ugh... I'm probably not going to bother studying. The only thing we can even attempt to study is the lecture slides. There are 40 MCQs on the paper based off the lecture slides and they're worth 40% of the marks. The rest of the paper is comprehensions, filling in the blanks and other stuff you couldn't really study for.

Freedom tomorrow though! I can't wait!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I honestly don't ever remember being this tired in all my life and that's just from studying for my exam. I'm liable to die at 12:31pm tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Dissertation Y/N? Someone give me advice.

For 4th year I'm doing Strategic (have to/want to anyway), Managing New Product Development (wanted to do this since 1st year and even more with operations, don't like how its so popular people don't realise what its about), Corporate Finance - AND/OR - International Business - AND/OR - Dissertation.

Can't believe this thread is still going I made it years ago for subject advice (one of the posts made it into the Irish times it was cringeworthy). Thats what I want now, more subject advice. So give me some. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Just in for the 1000th reply.

Ok, I suppose to justify this, eh.......

From what I gather about Dissertation from a friend who did it; it can be great to do your own research into something that you really are interested, BUT, be sure to have a decent supervisor. My mate didn't really get all that much help from his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

For 4th year I'm doing Strategic (have to/want to anyway), Managing New Product Development (wanted to do this since 1st year and even more with operations, don't like how its so popular people don't realise what its about), Corporate Finance - AND/OR - International Business - AND/OR - Dissertation.

Can't believe this thread is still going I made it years ago for subject advice (one of the posts made it into the Irish times it was cringeworthy). Thats what I want now, more subject advice. So give me some. Please.

How apt you get the 1000th post:D

How are people set for the JF law exam? Im thinking it will be somewhat the same as politics but more factual based.

Dissertation Y/N? Someone give me advice.

During the Economics subject choice meetings, they talked a bit about dissertations - they stressed that you'd want to have an area in mind already, preferably something that you have particular access to (ie, datasets that only you can get) and that's vaguely original, if you want to do well in it. Also, you'd want to be working on it as soon as exams finish, and have a good chunk of it done by Christmas (though that could be the lecturers hyping it up to scare off the wasters). I'm assuming much of the same goes for Business, or any dissertation (eg, you'd want to have an area of theory or a company in mind that you can do better than anyone). The one person I know who did a business dissertation this year did it through French (he's B&F) but he seemed to like it - I think it's the kind of thing where if you're motivated and smart about it you can seriously ease your workload at peak times of the year in exchange for working harder at other times.

Topic: The feeling has finally returned to my right arm - messed up my timings in the Organisation Theory and Change exam today and ended up doing half the essays in less than 1/3 of the time, but it worked out pretty well in the end, blinding pain aside.

Plus, bonus, I officially finished as a Business student today (barring spectacular failure in today's exam, which I'm relatively confident didn't happen) - Financial Ratios and Analysis is the only Business course I'm doing next year, so I will never, ever again have to write waffly **** about made-up terminology that doesn't mean anything and has seventeen different internally and externally contradictory definitions, only to be given a crappy mark because I didn't use definition #14 as the lecturer wanted. The business school can take their paradigms and their psychic prisons and their effective change models and shove 'em up their technostructures, preferably sideways. I'm free! FREE!!

Plus, bonus, I officially finished as a Business student today (barring spectacular failure in today's exam, which I'm relatively confident didn't happen) - Financial Ratios and Analysis is the only Business course I'm doing next year, so I will never, ever again have to write waffly **** about made-up terminology that doesn't mean anything and has seventeen different internally and externally contradictory definitions, only to be given a crappy mark because I didn't use definition #14 as the lecturer wanted. The business school can take their paradigms and their psychic prisons and their effective change models and shove 'em up their technostructures, preferably sideways. I'm free! FREE!!

Hahaha, oh god is that what I have to look forward to????

I'm glad politics will be there to bring me back in touch with the real world....I hope!

Hey if there is any JF law students out there would be up for posting up your law answers that we sent Eimear. I have a ECHR one which got a 2.1 if anyone wants it

During the Economics subject choice meetings, they talked a bit about dissertations - they stressed that you'd want to have an area in mind already, preferably something that you have particular access to (ie, datasets that only you can get) and that's vaguely original, if you want to do well in it. Also, you'd want to be working on it as soon as exams finish, and have a good chunk of it done by Christmas (though that could be the lecturers hyping it up to scare off the wasters). I'm assuming much of the same goes for Business, or any dissertation (eg, you'd want to have an area of theory or a company in mind that you can do better than anyone). The one person I know who did a business dissertation this year did it through French (he's B&F) but he seemed to like it - I think it's the kind of thing where if you're motivated and smart about it you can seriously ease your workload at peak times of the year in exchange for working harder at other times.

Topic: The feeling has finally returned to my right arm - messed up my timings in the Organisation Theory and Change exam today and ended up doing half the essays in less than 1/3 of the time, but it worked out pretty well in the end, blinding pain aside.

Ha! You're just trapped in your favoured ways of thinking which is fine if you want to be blind to other paradigms.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah i heard workload is hard at first but its good because I have an idea in mind. I want to end up as an Investment Banker or Lender as my career (at first) but for some reason the subjects halfway between waffling and normal are the ones I'm good at (although I got firsts in every Maths exam except 1 but I nearly failed economics and accounting last year - too specific for me). Anyway yeah I know exactly what I want to do for my dissertation it involves marketing (which im dropping :rolleyes:) and stuff mentioned in the outline for TWO of my subjects next year. It was an idea that a lecturer in 2nd year (wont say who) said would be good for a disertation.

Unfortunately the data I would need for it will be hard to find. Thats something I'd need to seriously think about.

Also is Corporate FInance good? I heard International Business is the bane of people's lives but corporate finance is interesting just badly graded (everyone gets a 2.1 no lower no higher).

Whats Financial Ratios? Is that Accounting part 3?

If you're interested in investment banking (although now's probably not the best time to go looking for a job!) then Corporate Finance is quite useful, if only for the terminology. As for International Business, I didn't find it that bad - we were given the "sample" questions for the exam with the readings that related to them so it just requires quite a bit of reading.

I'm currently struggling with Financial Markets, Dr Stewart's note are utterly incomprehensible and the number of readings he's given would keep you busy until the sun explodes. Has anyone got any advice they could offer me?

Randomness wrote:
    Hahaha, oh god is that what I have to look forward to????

More or less. Some people love it (see Bartronilic) - hell, I quite enjoyed getting easy marks for waffle until this year, when I finally hit my overload point and couldn't face another year of it.
    Ha! You're just trapped in your favoured ways of thinking which is fine if you want to be blind to other paradigms.

Quite possibly, but since I made what I felt was a quite eloquent case in my exam yesterday for not dropping our tools, I'm actually pretty OK with that.

As far as I can gather, except it's back to 'proper' (i.e., financial) accounting, rather than the management stuff we've been doing this year. Which is all the better as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

As far as I can gather, except it's back to 'proper' (i.e., financial) accounting, rather than the management stuff we've been doing this year. Which is all the better as far as I'm concerned.

I did it this year (being examined on it on Thursday; what the hell am I doing here and not in the library?!), and yeah, I enjoyed it. It's Financial Accounting as opposed to Management, so that's ALWAYS good. However, if you're expecting loads of practical application of accounting, there's not too much. In lectures he just goes through the theory behind all the IFRSs, and then in tutorials he'll demonstrate a few examples. The questions in the papers are a mixture of describing some of the theory, and doing some accounting problems. They're fairly simple, and he rarely changes the format, let alone figures in the question even!

And yeah, if it's still Pearse Colbert teaching next year (which surely can't be a given-he taught my Dad in UCD,D almost 40 years ago; he must be due retirement soon!), you'll be set. He's a hero. Absolute legend of a man.

That's my €0.02 on the subject.

Wowy wrote:
    And yeah, if it's still Pearse Colbert teaching next year (which surely can't be a given-he taught my Dad in UCD,D almost 40 years ago; he must be due retirement soon!), you'll be set. He's a hero. Absolute legend of a man.

According to McCabe it'll be Colbert again, so fingers crossed he doesn't change his mind in the next few months. Cheers for the course info by the way! Sounds perfectly doable, if not the most exciting of courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Privateer wrote: »
    If you're interested in investment banking (although now's probably not the best time to go looking for a job!) then Corporate Finance is quite useful, if only for the terminology. As for International Business, I didn't find it that bad - we were given the "sample" questions for the exam with the readings that related to them so it just requires quite a bit of reading.

I'm currently struggling with Financial Markets, Dr Stewart's note are utterly incomprehensible and the number of readings he's given would keep you busy until the sun explodes. Has anyone got any advice they could offer me?

How did you find it privateer?

Must say I thought it was a very fair exam, pretty predictable and for all peoples worrying (including my own) I think most would have got four essays out.

Nice for a change to be at the mercy of my own mind rather than exam questions after ESM and financial reporting.

It wasn't too bad although I found he was annoying specific (the dividends and efficient markets questions in particular) compared to some of his previous questions.

Otherwise it wasn't too bad. I did MM propositions, tax rates (making lots of references to a paper by a one J Stewart), agency theory and efficient markets. I stupidly skipped past the first question since I hadn't focussed on that topic whilst revising and at the end of the exam read it properly and realised I could have made a pretty good go of it (if only because it was effectively the same as Barry's questions on the credit crunch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

so, apparently 25% of first year failed the year. **** one

scruttocks wrote: »

I bet because they probably never checked the intranet for the sample maths test which is identical to the actual maths test :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Where'd you hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Faaaak. So screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

When are politics and sociology out?

Holy crap. Hang on is this actually based on fact or random whispers? My very happy day was quite suddenly interrupted when I read that.
    I bet because they probably never checked the intranet for the sample maths test which is identical to the actual maths test :rolleyes:

I myself looked up the past papers and I know plenty of other studetns who did also. Also I think we have have established during the year that we are doing a completely different approach / slant / general way of doing stats to other years and that has been "challenging" to say the least.
    Where'd you hear this?

Here, here, please don't mess with my happy vibe without solid facts.
    bright wrote: »
    Faaaak. So screwed.

Ya, we are all in this together though!! ;). Or well 25% of us (if things are to be believed). Either way it'll all work out in the end...........right?
    When are politics and sociology out?

Do all the results not come out on the same day? I think that's the story for BESS anyway.

OMG.............breath in........breath out......

Results should be online so have a look for yourself.

• Advertisement

Myth wrote: »
    Results should be online so have a look for yourself.

Hahaha I'm not good with results, ya nearly gave me a heart attack there!

Our results aren't out till next Tuesday.

Advertisement