Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

First years I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Myth wrote: »
    First years I meant.

Hang on what? I am in first year......I'm confused now however that's acceptable given the sudden shift from "lalala summertime land" to "oh crap results".

Ok, I'm needlessly confusing you (myself too).

General rule from now on - assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

There, that's taken care of :)

Myth wrote: »
    Ok, I'm needlessly confusing you (myself too).

General rule from now on - assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

There, that's taken care of :)

Haha, your funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Whoooo got a 2.1. dead happy, can't wait to get a breakdown to see where I went right (I didn't think that happened in any of them).

P.S. - Encase the JF BESS are thinking there results are up, they're not I'm JS BESS. Good luck with them by the way, and the 25% thing will probably be like 40% just doing math repeat and the other 40% just economics - ****, but at least it's not all 6 again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I don'tdo BESS but I do first year Politics and sociology so....results?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I don'tdo BESS but I do first year Politics and sociology so....results?

Well then what course do you do?

Phil-pol, hist-pol, soc soc pol, social work?

Saying you just do the some of the subjects is of little value in tyring to help you.

As a rule of thumb, if you take BESS subjects, your results will come out around the time that the BESS results for that year come out. Eg if you were in 3rd or 4th year phil-pol this year, your results came out Tuesday with the BESS results, where as MMS (pure philosphy) results came out over a week ago.

I'm not sure how TSM works, but I presume if you do sociolgy and something it depends on when the later grade is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

All TSM (JF and SF) results come out on the same day, 30th June, 5pm. They go through a central office so even if one subject is 'ready' before another, results aren't released.

BESS general entry (JF and SF) is 1st July, 10am.

For everything else, the answers are in

http://www.tcd.ie/Examinations/Results/pubdates-ann08.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

25% isn't that bad when you consider that 50% failed Economics at Easter and 60% failed Stats. We're improving as a year :)
    I'd say 99% of those who failed will pass repeats though.

Well then what course do you do?

Phil-pol, hist-pol, soc soc pol, social work?

Saying you just do the some of the subjects is of little value in tyring to help you.

As a rule of thumb, if you take BESS subjects, your results will come out around the time that the BESS results for that year come out. Eg if you were in 3rd or 4th year phil-pol this year, your results came out Tuesday with the BESS results, where as MMS (pure philosphy) results came out over a week ago.

I'm not sure how TSM works, but I presume if you do sociolgy and something it depends on when the later grade is out.

I do Phil-Pol. I just presumed my Pol/Soc results would come out with the BESS results?

• Advertisement

I do Phil-Pol. I just presumed my Pol/Soc results would come out with the BESS results?

Hmm just checking the result dates there
    http://www.tcd.ie/Examinations/Results/pubdates-ann08.pdf
    Says Phil-pol is out on the 25th and you're saying you haven't got sociology and politics back? That's a bit unfair.
    Maybe yours will be out on the 30th along with the TSM subjects.

No, the results posted here for JF Phil-Pol are the overall results...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

i heard it from a good friend of mine whose buddy is correcting the exams. The actual figure is 23%.

xeduCat wrote: »
    No, the results posted here for JF Phil-Pol are the overall results...

So if it says I gt a 2.1, does that mean across my five exams, 2.1 is my average? Thanks for your reply.

It may do. In most cases, yes, it's a simple average (i.e. all exams were of equal weight so add the marks and divide by the number of exams) but sometimes one subject is worth more than another, it depends on the course. Your tutor, and perhaps the departmental office, will be able to tell you how to get a breakdown by paper (which you're entitled to, and is worth hanging onto) if you haven't already got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Hey could someone let me know when the results are up on the web...

I'm too afraid to check myself

They're up, I couldn't bear the tension any longer.

2.1 Yay :)

Do they give a breakdown of the individual results at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I'd also be keen to find out when we get actually scores in each exam??

Adam

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I'd also be keen to find out when we get actually scores in each exam??

Adam

They're posted to your house, you should have them by the end of the week.

45 fails out of about 220?

Fail rate of about 20%.

Seems like everyone who's repeating is doing either Maths and/or Economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

No repeats- thank God! that whole 25% failure thing gave me quite a shock. Relief, just relief now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

bright wrote:
    No repeats- thank God! that whole 25% failure thing gave me quite a shock. Relief, just relief now.

Yay, congrats man! (and...ya know...to the rest of you too) Clearly, it was the hypothesis testing that made all the difference. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

So yeah, I got my breakdown today, which ended up being
    II.1
    II.1
    II.1
    II.1
    III
    F1 ( compensation FTW!)

and after calculating my average came in @~56%;. So I saw that everything was in order and I deserved my II.2. But then I remembered something I read in the bess handbook or somewhere similar about the BESS dept. using a non-numerical average system for the calculation of overall grades. Anyone know anything about this?

Not that in my case it would make a difference (I was definitely II.2 material this year. :rolleyes: ) but say instead of the III I got a II.2 would I be eligible for the bump up then? Is it entirely subjective? anyone know the weighting involved?

I'll try find the relevant quote. Again not that it matters for me now, but in other (more important) years it might.

Long post, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It's the preponderance of grades that matters. You can "swap" grades. So if you have a II.1 and a III you can lower the II.1 into a II.2 and transfer it to your III to make it a II.2. Then you have two II.2s so your overall grade is a II.2.

Averages only matter when the grades split. So in my finals I got two Firsts and two II.1s. So my overall was determined by the arithmetic average. (Thankfully the average was higher than 69.4 :).)

So got the results back there yesterday.........

II.1 - unbelievably happy / relieved.

Yay.

Just like to say thank you to all the wise BESS / non- BESS people for answering my silly / random / typically JF questions throughout the year.

Yall are a bunch of very friendly / helpful people.:D (feel the love)

Agh safely into SF......and doing subjects I enjoy & am good at... SUPER.

Thanks again, also apologies for the plethora of forward slashes...exhbit A - (/) - as I've said before....it just kinda happened.

Also I know in the grand scheme of college exams JF counts for.....well nothing.....but I'm pretty damn happy so that must count for something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭irishpacker

Whats the consensus on International Business in SS?

Also, Contempory Political Theory or Comtempory Political institutions I have to choose one for politics (I'm doing Bus and Pol).

Opinions, advice??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Randomness wrote: »
    So got the results back there yesterday.........

II.1 - unbelievably happy / relieved.

Yay.

Just like to say thank you to all the wise BESS / non- BESS people for answering my silly / random / typically JF questions throughout the year.

Yall are a bunch of very friendly / helpful people.:D (feel the love)

Agh safely into SF......and doing subjects I enjoy & am good at... SUPER.

Thanks again, also apologies for the plethora of forward slashes...exhbit A - (/) - as I've said before....it just kinda happened.

Also I know in the grand scheme of college exams JF counts for.....well nothing.....but I'm pretty damn happy so that must count for something!

Tbh I hear this all the time and I really dont think its true.

When your applying for jobs, companies want to know your results right the way through college. They look at JF results as part of the whole package.

Now if you were to do bad in JF and then pull your socks up and really knuckle down and did well 2nd, 3rd and 4th year then granted it would'nt be of huge importance but they definitely count for something.

The other thing is it gives a bit of leeway.

If you have lets say good leaving results, good JF, good SF, bad JS....the bad JS looks like a fluke.

On the other hand if you have a bad JF and a bad JS it definately looks a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Babybing wrote: »

When your applying for jobs, companies want to know your results right the way through college. They look at JF results as part of the whole package.

Now if you were to do bad in JF and then pull your socks up and really knuckle down and did well 2nd, 3rd and 4th year then granted it would'nt be of huge importance but they definitely count for something.

If you have lets say good leaving results, good JF, good SF, bad JS....the bad JS looks like a fluke.

On the other hand if you have a bad JF and a bad JS it definately looks a lot worse.
    Agreed. First and second year results are important if you're applying for any summer work the following years, and long term job prospects will depend on summer work experience.

Well thats good to hear anyway. :)

From a confidence point of view I guess its also useful to get somewhat decent results in JF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Whats the consensus on International Business in SS?

Also, Contempory Political Theory or Comtempory Political institutions I have to choose one for politics (I'm doing Bus and Pol).

Opinions, advice??????

Remember Gail McElroy? She lectures Contempory Political Institutions. That was my main reason for taking Political Theory.

BUt having said that, Political Theory is supposed to be very unstructured and kind of head recking as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Meh. SOME employers may look at results other than your final year mark and, as Ronny pointed out, summer work, which will improve your CV, may also depend on grades for JF, SF, and JS, but often the employer just looks at the headline grade and moves on. After all, grades only tell you so much about an applicant. Not to mention the fact that some employers and third level institutions won't even consider your application if you get below a 2.I in final year, even if you got firsts all the way from JF to JS.

From my (limited) experience, I'd say employers are interested in final year grades and achievements. Other grades could come into it if its a particularly tight thing between two candidates, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say they were important.

Advertisement