Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭irishpacker

Remember Gail McElroy? She lectures Contempory Political Institutions. That was my main reason for taking Political Theory.

BUt having said that, Political Theory is supposed to be very unstructured and kind of head recking as such.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Gail. That Western Europe Pol course was quite demanding I thought. She is certainly no R.J.Hill! That man was a pimp! Pity he's gone now, back to his beloved Russia no doubt...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Just accepted BESS on my CAO there.

How're ye all?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hah I was considering Digging this thread up too...what Walsho said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

The Walsho wrote: »
    Just accepted BESS on my CAO there.

How're ye all?

Well done to both of you. And to all the other people starting in BESS. As this very long thread may indicate its a great course which also allows you plenty of time to get involved in different areas of Trinity life. Hope you all have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

And our goal of BESS posters taking over the entire forum moves ever closer to fruition...mwa ha ha ha ha!!! *ahem* Sorry, meant to type "Hello! Congratulations!". It's this damn laptop, the keys are so small...

Anyway, congrats, and hope you (and any other new BESSheads) enjoy the course - it's got a bad reputation around the college, but that's mostly undeserved. The one piece of advice I'd give for first year BESS is not to stress over it - the first year is really designed as an introduction to the various subjects and the load is relatively light, with maths&stats and maybe economics the only courses that require proper effort. So use first year to try any and every club/society/SU/publications/T:FM/whatever the hell else that you think you might be even slightly interested in. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

andrew wrote: »

Ditto!
    To whoever said it, bad rep around the college?
    That doesnt sound too great, what's that about?

Walsho, Andrew: See you for lectures! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Ditto!

Walsho, Andrew: See you for lectures! :D

*nods to the start of the thread*

But in a nut shell a BESS girls/guys = UCD Commerce girls/goys = D4 Heads = Pain in the neck for 4 years.

While it is true for the minority, BESS is a broad course attarcting a diverse range of people. Yes there are umpa lumpas but there are also physoc nerds, debating hacks, country lads..you get the idea.

Ah doesnt sound so bad, can handle D4's.
    Getting excited now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Ah doesnt sound so bad, can handle D4's.
    Getting excited now :)

See you there!
    There are some threads about freshers week floating about...oh man I can't wait for the 29th September. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

but there are also physoc nerds
    Alas, they(he) has moved on to pastures new.

Still, I am pleased to figure in your paradigm of diversity. Kudos to me.

Well done to all the incoming BESStards. You are now counted among life's 'Beautiful People'. Unless you go on to do pure Sociology.

Did points go up or down this year?

• Advertisement

Down to 470 this year from 480 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Well done all ye new people. Remember, people only hate you because they're jealous.

Nailer2645 wrote:

What awayindahils said. You'll encounter a lot of "What do you do?" "BESS!" "Oh, you're one of those..." conversations, at which point you'll either wow them with your brilliance and non-BESS-ness, or confirm all their worst stereotypes, largely dependent on your footwear, accent and shade of orange.

Was the Dublin University Buisness and Economics Society established before or after Dubes became quintessentially D4ish, or were dubes always quintessentially D4ish, or is it just coincidence? Either way, i facepalmed when I heard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Was the Dublin University Buisness and Economics Society established before or after Dubes became quintessentially D4ish, or were dubes always quintessentially D4ish, or is it just coincidence? Either way, i facepalmed when I heard about it.
    I don't know. Nor do I know what a facepalm is. What I do know is that in my 4 years I never once had anything to do with DUBES and was none the worse off for it. As someone who lives in D4 and went to school in Blackrock, I can honestly say their snobby/cliquey aura is frightening.

shay_562 wrote: »
    What awayindahils said. You'll encounter a lot of "What do you do?" "BESS!" "Oh, you're one of those..." conversations, at which point you'll either wow them with your brilliance and non-BESS-ness, or confirm all their worst stereotypes, largely dependent on your footwear, accent and shade of orange.

*sigh*
    I thought I was finally going to be free of stupid stereotypes, oh well. I guess my lack of dubes, accent and orangicity will see me through. Still somewhat annoying to be disliked before having any opportunity to merit it :p
    Ah well, cycles are there to be broken I guess, here's to any potential non-D4 stereotype BESS students!

Dont worry about the Abercrombe & Twat crowd in BESS, thats why we have 1st year! Its called trimming the fat, or culling the weak! There are alot of sterotypical D4 heads with not an ounce of common sense in 1st year BESS, but they are also the type you will never see again after the 1st lecture in October! :D

Also, dont judge a book by its cover, although they may be orange and wearing shoes made out of sheepskin, they may actually still be nice people, so give them a chance... the poor little innocent things. There are quite a few girls in BESS who look nothing like their personality, I think they're just trying to fit in!

Dont worry about the Abercrombe & Twat crowd in BESS, thats why we have 1st year! Its called trimming the fat, or culling the weak! There are alot of sterotypical D4 heads with not an ounce of common sense in 1st year BESS, but they are also the type you will never see again after the 1st lecture in October! :D

Also, dont judge a book by its cover, although they may be orange and wearing shoes made out of sheepskin, they may actually still be nice people, so give them a chance... the poor little innocent things.

Hahaha great advice overall, cheers. :)

I don't know. Nor do I know what a facepalm is. What I do know is that in my 4 years I never once had anything to do with DUBES and was none the worse off for it. As someone who lives in D4 and went to school in Blackrock, I can honestly say their snobby/cliquey aura is frightening.

Facepalm:

facepalm.jpg

Ah, I'll be giving that particular Soc a miss then.

The depressing thing about DUBES is that these are the people I'm meant to be working with for the rest of my life .... shudder.... Oh well, I'll just have to rule them with an iron fist... covered in abercrombe brand sheepskin of course

• Advertisement

How many hours of Lectures and tutorials do you have a week in first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

How many hours of Lectures and tutorials do you have a week in first year?

Roughly 16-18 depending on your option subject.
    You need to attend business and maths tutorials for 5 or 10% of your grade, you'll notice attendance in everything else dropping dramatically around November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Agh god.......how a year does fly.

Welcome new BESSheads!!!

Hope you all enjoy JF and the BESS thread throughout the year.

Like the very wise and knowledgable other BESSheads have mentioned you have picked a great course which affords you the opportunity to make the most out of your time in Trinity.

Use it wisely my friends.

Also feel free to ask many random questions during the year (god knows I did).

Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the class (approx. 240).

Of course people have their stereotypes, but having gone through my life thankfully avoiding all that nonsense I'd say just try and talk to and get along with everyone and make your own decisions about people.

There are people from all over the country and the world in BESS which is cool.

Get involved in stuff and don't be afraid to give things a go!

Take a good look at the class in the first week in the Ed Burke cos you may never see some of the them again till May 2009.

Don't let Maths & Stats or Economics get you down - if you need help or need to put in extra effort in these areas, do it from day one (ok maybe day 14) and don't be one of the 30-40% of the class who have to repeat stuff in a few weeks time.

I'm sure I'll post more again......no doubt.

Anywho welcome again and have lots of fun filled times!

P.S YAY I can't wait till college starts again!

P.P.S I mean that in a cool way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

Quick + stupid question: Does your final BESS Degree grade (eg. first, 2.1) come solely from your final year results? Do your JS results come into the equation ?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Magnusd wrote: »
    Quick + stupid question: Does your final BESS Degree grade (eg. first, 2.1) come solely from your final year results? Do your JS results come into the equation ?

Thanks!

Just final year. That means that you can spend the next 3 years (assuming you're a fresher?) on the piss, "discovering yourself", and barely scrape through each year, and then pull together a bit of a work ethic and get a 2.1 in final year (BESS is one of the very few courses that you can get away with that as it's not that difficult).

Speaking of difficulty, are Buisness and Economics taught under the assumption that you have no prior experience with the subject? And comeone said the maths can be difficult, I got an A1 in ordinary having dropped down from hons, should I find it particularly hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I got A1 in Pass after dropping from Hons (where I got a c1 in mocks but I hated it), and maths is the easiest subject you will do all 4 years of bess if you are smart about it (do the homeworks, practice stats questions in book and look at the "sample" test which is exactly the same as the final maths test). Everyone fails maths without ever having tried it. its not until 2nd year where maths gets hard.

BESS is easy place to make friends, you'll meet new people every week in trinity and if your in trinity hall (which i wasnt but wish I was) you'll meet even more (and you'll meet a load of complete ****s (rhymes with bats)) but you meet them everywhere. in bess you are in same lecture hall through first year so you wont start losing people and never see them again like you do in UCD arts. then in 2nd/3rd/4th you will start noticing people you never saw before and suddenly be put in a group project with them.

Also people will give you stick over trinity but theyll be at every pav friday so ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

wowy wrote: »
    Just final year. That means that you can spend the next 3 years (assuming you're a fresher?) on the piss, "discovering yourself", and barely scrape through each year, and then pull together a bit of a work ethic and get a 2.1 in final year (BESS is one of the very few courses that you can get away with that as it's not that difficult).

No im actually going in to SS year! I never really gave it much thought, but i had to defer my summer exams to the september sesion due to illness- Im currently trying to fit a full years work into a few weeks study! I should pass but the reults might not be pretty!

Actually, would employers be sympathetic if you have one bad years reults where you just scrape a pass due to illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Speaking of difficulty, are Buisness and Economics taught under the assumption that you have no prior experience with the subject?

I'd like to know this also.

Thanks for all the help so far folks, I'm very excited already!

• Advertisement

andrew wrote:
    Speaking of difficulty, are Buisness and Economics taught under the assumption that you have no prior experience with the subject?

Essentially, yes. Economics starts from absolute scratch; business assumes that you have a basic knowledge of the world of commerce, but nothing more complex than you'd get from reading the Business section of the Irish Times once in a while. It may have changed, but for our Christmas exam in economics there were separate prizes for people who had studied economics previously and those who hadn't. That said, for obvious reasons if you go in with a knowledge of either you'll be at an advantage.
    andrew wrote:
    And comeone said the maths can be difficult, I got an A1 in ordinary having dropped down from hons, should I find it particularly hard?

Not especially; if you've done honours and gotten anything above a B3 you've basically learned the first year maths course already (save for a few small parts of statistics), but it's not hard to catch up if you did pass. Like Bartronilic said, just make sure you actually go to the weekly tutorials for this and have the work done and you'll be absolutely fine.
    Magnusd wrote:
    Actually, would employers be sympathetic if you have one bad years reults where you just scrape a pass due to illness?

I'd reckon so; from filling out internship applications last year, just about every form had a section where you could offer reasons if your grades were lower than they would usually require. A serious illness documented with the college would probably fall into that category, assuming your grades from 1st/2nd year were high enough. Not sure how it'd affect a Masters application, but that may not be an issue for you.

Advertisement