Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

My timetable's quite nice actually. Only one 9a.m. start (Tuesday). Although, on a couple of Thursdays I'm in from 10-4 straight... two one-hour lectures, two two-hour lectures. Went to my tutor about it, he said "try it out". When I questioned when I'd eat or, not take notes for 5 mins, he suggested I skip a lecture. :confused: Not sure they're meant to be encouraging us to do that?!

And also, in relation to anyone who chose the Irish Welfare State option, it was a clerical error and anyone who did choose it has now gotta change. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

BlueCam wrote: »
    My timetable's quite nice actually. Only one 9a.m. start (Tuesday). Although, on a couple of Thursdays I'm in from 10-4 straight... two one-hour lectures, two two-hour lectures. Went to my tutor about it, he said "try it out". When I questioned when I'd eat or, not take notes for 5 mins, he suggested I skip a lecture. :confused: Not sure they're meant to be encouraging us to do that?!

And also, in relation to anyone who chose the Irish Welfare State option, it was a clerical error and anyone who did choose it has now gotta change. ;)

Are you a first year? How could your timetable be so different to mine, unless you're doing a language, which differs loads from Law? Or is the class just so big that it's segmented into different groups and different timetables?

EDIT:

I have that 9 til 4 straight on a thursday too.

Are you a first year? How could your timetable be so different to mine, unless you're doing a language, which differs loads from Law? Or is the class just so big that it's segmented into different groups and different timetables?

Yeah I'm junior freshman and doing French. I think he said at the course-specific meeting that for sociology and pol. sci., there were so many students that there'd be two lectures for each, with half in one and half in the other. Until people stop attending, when they might amalgamate them again.

My friend has a slightly different timetable from me too, even though he's also doing French.

BlueCam wrote: »
    Yeah I'm junior freshman and doing French. I think he said at the course-specific meeting that for sociology and pol. sci., there were so many students that there'd be two lectures for each, with half in one and half in the other. Until people stop attending, when they might amalgamate them again.

My friend has a slightly different timetable from me too, even though he's also doing French.

Yeah I heard him say that alright, it seemed very odd. I mean, how would they manage to get the extra lecturers needed to run a second set of all of our lectures? He also seemed to mention us only having an hour per module each week as opposed to two until people stop coming, which seems ridiculous. They can't very well half our lecture times.

It appears that I'm in from 9 til 11 on monday morning for a two hour lecture, but on the online timetable it seems to be split up into two sections. Maybe half of our class are in from 9 until 10, and the other half from 10 until 11?

9 til 11 seems far more likely, but still, if what he said about not actually being able to fit everyone in at once is true, we may well be separated into two and only have to go in from 9 til 10 or 10 til 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

no,
    all the jf students are going to sit in 1 lect room (ED Burke), that's 300 people in total.
    For sociology u are going to have 2 lecturers. 1 teaches in mic term and the other teaches in hilary and trinity terms. ur lecturers are Dr. Darius Gafijczuk and Dr. Daniel Faas this yr.
    i had Dr. Anne Holohan and Dr. Darius Gafijczuk last yr, nobody liked Darius's lects last yr, it was so boring, but his exam was easy.

the only reason 4 the diff in ur timetables is ur tutorials where u are going to be divided in to groups, 20people each group, so diff group has diff timetable

Yeah I heard him say that alright, it seemed very odd. I mean, how would they manage to get the extra lecturers needed to run a second set of all of our lectures? He also seemed to mention us only having an hour per module each week as opposed to two until people stop coming, which seems ridiculous. They can't very well half our lecture times.

It appears that I'm in from 9 til 11 on monday morning for a two hour lecture, but on the online timetable it seems to be split up into two sections. Maybe half of our class are in from 9 until 10, and the other half from 10 until 11?

9 til 11 seems far more likely, but still, if what he said about not actually being able to fit everyone in at once is true, we may well be separated into two and only have to go in from 9 til 10 or 10 til 11.

Yeah, same, one or two of my lectures are split into two (economics if memory serves correctly). I checked it out in the BESS office on Tuesday, and they said they were the same lecture, a two-hour one, and that you should attend for the full two hours.

Also, just checked my TCD email now and found this:
    Hello all,
    Your Timetable is available on the BESS noticeboard on Level 3 in the Arts
    Block. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FIRST YEAR CLASS WILL BE SPLIT INTO 2 FOR THE FIRST
    4 WEEKS OF TERM. AFTER TUESDAY NOVEMBER 11TH THE CLASS WILL REUNITE AND ATTEND
    2 LECTURES PER WEEK. The introduction to Political Science lectures commence
    next week on Tuesday at 12 noon in the Edmund Burke Theatre and on Thursday at
    3pm. All BESS students should attend the Tuesday lecture while all other
    categories inlcuding Philosophy and Political Science and History and Political
    Science, TSM, etc should attend the Thursday lecture. I look forward to seeing
    you. Kind regards, Jac Hayden
    Dr Jacqueline Hayden,
    Lecturer,
    Room 5.05,Department of Political Science

Yeah updating myself as I speak... now I'm really confused. Both of those lectures are on my timetable (PO-1600), with no indication of which I'm to attend. Maybe then you're right and it's the same with those economics lectures, and the people in the BESS office aren't really on top of things.

MasterSun wrote: »
    no,
    all the jf students are going to sit in 1 lect room (ED Burke), that's 300 people in total.
    For sociology u are going to have 2 lecturers. 1 teaches in mic term and the other teaches in hilary and trinity terms. ur lecturers are Dr. Darius Gafijczuk and Dr. Daniel Faas this yr.
    i had Dr. Anne Holohan and Dr. Darius Gafijczuk last yr, nobody liked Darius's lects last yr, it was so boring, but his exam was easy.

the only reason 4 the diff in ur timetables is ur tutorials where u are going to be divided in to groups, 20people each group, so diff group has diff timetable

Guessing you're not a JF, but this year it's definitely different... whoever the head of BESS is basically said this is the new arrangement, he wasn't very happy with it, but there were too many to fit into the Ed Burke so they have to be split.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

i'm a sf.
    surprised at the sudden new change.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

think it's because of the huge number of people now taking intro to sociology and intro to political science, pretty much all courses that do these subjects have taken on more students this year plus the new PPES (think that's what it's called:o) course means that there litereally isn't enough room in the ed burke for all the students (assuming 90% + attendance which you wont get after week 4)

They were thinking of accommodating people by doing it by video conference, as in the lecture takes place in one room and is shown live on a screen in another room, which I think is a horrible idea! Having 2 sets of lectures is the better solution in my opinion. Though that would more than likely put an end to guest speakers in political science which were always quite enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

think it's because of the huge number of people now taking intro to sociology and intro to political science, pretty much all courses that do these subjects have taken on more students this year plus the new PPES (think that's what it's called:o) course means that there litereally isn't enough room in the ed burke for all the students (assuming 90% + attendance which you wont get after week 4)

They were thinking of accommodating people by doing it by video conference, as in the lecture takes place in one room and is shown live on a screen in another room, which I think is a horrible idea! Having 2 sets of lectures is the better solution in my opinion. Though that would more than likely put an end to guest speakers in political science which were always quite enjoyable.

That sounds crazy...the Ed Burke is huuuuuge. That class must be really jam packed.

What they could've done is stream the lecture live over the net...then you could watch it at home in your PJ's while eating breakfast:D

As for having lectures straight through...you get about 10-15 minutes between lectures which you could have something to eat in. Also, unless you intend to carry on with the subjects I would'nt worry too much about Sociology and PolSci lectures in JF. Go by all means to see whats going on but to miss a few lectures is not the worst thing in the world.

I went to about 60-70% Sociology and PolSci lectures and I honestly dont feel it made on iota of difference to my final grade or understanding of the subjects. Waste of time for me.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'm not looking forward to buisness now. Seems very...heavy. And potentially boring. Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

i honestly nearly fell asleep in that 2 intro to organisation and mangagment today...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

quirkster wrote: »
    i honestly nearly fell asleep in that 2 intro to organisation and mangagment today...

WTF happened to our break?!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

he said that he'd just keep talking and leave us off early at half one or so....

quirkster wrote: »
    he said that he'd just keep talking and leave us off early at half one or so....

Ah right, didn't notice that one. Must've been too busy looking at the crazy amount of bleedin' wet yokes sitting all around me, amirite?!?!?!111!!?

But seriously though, BESS girls are very easy on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

andrew wrote: »
    Ah right, didn't notice that one. Must've been too busy looking at the crazy amount of bleedin' wet yokes sitting all around me, amirite?!?!?!111!!?

But seriously though, BESS girls are very easy on the eyes.

Yeow!

I agree about the thing today though, was pretty boring and made me dread the course a bit, whereas beforehand I was pretty enthusiastic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

andrew wrote:
    Must've been too busy looking at the crazy amount of bleedin' wet yokes sitting all around me, amirite?!?!?!111!!?

...you realise it's posts like this that made the non-BESS posters on the forum boot us into our own thread? And I get that you're kidding (at least I hope to Christ those are ironic "1"s) but can I request that no one ever uses the term "bleedin' wet yokes" on this or any other forum ever again? It's just...really kinda gross, to be honest.

Edit: Oh yeah, and first-year Management is not the most exciting of courses. Sorry about that. But some of the readings are actually pretty decent once you get into them, and there's interesting business courses later on in BESS. So don't give up all hope just yet.

shay_562 wrote: »
    ...you realise it's posts like this that made the non-BESS posters on the forum boot us into our own thread? And I get that you're kidding (at least I hope to Christ those are ironic "1"s) but can I request that no one ever uses the term "bleedin' wet yokes" on this or any other forum ever again? It's just...really kinda gross, to be honest.

Edit: Oh yeah, and first-year Management is not the most exciting of courses. Sorry about that. But some of the readings are actually pretty decent once you get into them, and there's interesting business courses later on in BESS. So don't give up all hope just yet.

I'd just like to confirm that yes, I was kidding and that no, I am not a retard. Those 1's were deliberately placed in between several !'s so as to indicate that they were deliberate, as placing them exclusively on the end could be seen as an honest mistake. The 'amirite' part was also meant to be satirical.
    But seriously. WET.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

andrew wrote:
    But seriously. WET.

But seriously. EWW!!!1!11!satirical1!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

"bleeding wet yoke"(possible Google Image goldmine there..)
    Honestly, no wonder we keep you BESS heads in your own thread.:p

[/satire]

Anyone ever do Economics of Public Policy with Sean Barrett? We've only had one lecture so far where we were given a massive reading list with loads of obscure Official Publications books on it that I literally couldn't find in the library catalogue. The lecturer seems good though (he invited us for coffee afterwards!) and the course outline looked pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Anyone ever do Economics of Public Policy with Sean Barrett? We've only had one lecture so far where we were given a massive reading list with loads of obscure Official Publications books on it that I literally couldn't find in the library catalogue. The lecturer seems good though (he invited us for coffee afterwards!) and the course outline looked pretty interesting.
    Does someone else want to take this one? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Lets leave manicmonoliths find out for him/herself.

Should I be worried? :confused:
    I'd heard* it was a great course and that the lecturer was a bit of a legend, no?

*When I say heard, I possibly mean 'I read on boards.ie somewhere'

Oh, he's a legend, of that there can be no doubt. I'd feel like I hadn't truly experienced Trinity economics if I hadn't done one of his classes.

Basically, don't worry about the reading list. Do you plan on going for schols?

Oh, he's a legend, of that there can be no doubt. I'd feel like I hadn't truly experienced Trinity economics if I hadn't done one of his classes.

Basically, don't worry about the reading list. Do you plan on going for schols?

Thank God! Yeah planning on doing schols at the moment anyway, heard the course is quite good in that respect. 1 week in and I think I like the 4 economics subjects I'm doing, so hopefully if I can keep up a bit of interest they'll be pretty handy to study for.

Read to contestable market paper, don't worry about trying to understand the detail or the graphs. And don't contradict him.

Its easy to get a strong 2.1 in public policy. If I knew how to get a first in that class I'd typing this message from a free flat on campus. If you have any economic schols friends, ask to borrow their essays. Its the best way to understanding what he wants. The questions are the same every year. Even if you don't do schols, the same goes for the end of year exams.

Read to contestable market paper, don't worry about trying to understand the detail or the graphs. And don't contradict him.

Its easy to get a strong 2.1 in public policy. If I knew how to get a first in that class I'd typing this message from a free flat on campus. If you have any economic schols friends, ask to borrow their essays. Its the best way to understanding what he wants. The questions are the same every year. Even if you don't do schols, the same goes for the end of year exams.

Cheers for that! Very helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 james80000

yeah definitely don't contradict him. stick to liberal economics- the free market is great, low taxes for all, bring back university fees, bureaucracy and john hegarty are ruining the economy, doctors are bad bad people etc. etc. and really get some underlying emotions into the essays on these matters... for instance a line out of one of my schol essays (and im sure everyone that has taken his course will completely understand): "The Irish health service is a bureaucracy of over 100,000 people with no accountability. Between the years 1997-2002, there was an increase of 125% more funding, 47% more staff and only 4% more bed nights.". He loves that "sweeping statement" ****....
    plus you only need to go to one out of every 3 lectures as he repeats them all. prepare 4 really tight essays for the schols are you are set for an easy 2.1 and (if you can read him well enough to get the tone of your essays exactly right) a score of 70 is possible (he rarely gives higher apparently).

he's great though- u need people like him to make u think about where you actually stand on economic issues- he may seem disorganised but i still reckon he has taught me a hell of a lot in forming an economic opinion (just take his views with a pinch of salt).

Advertisement