Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

james80000 wrote: »
    a score of 70 is possible (he rarely gives higher apparently).

It's achievable. You just have to swallow your pride and argue that Baumol's Contestable Market Theory was a greater advancement in human knowledge than understanding gravity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

Hi Can anyone help ?

Im applying online for graduate jobs with Investment Banks.

1) For course title should i say BESS or Business & Politics?

2) On my CV should i refer to my degree as BA (mod) or BA (hons).

3) should i mention its Joint honours ?

Also: is it essential to give grades for each module/ year on your CV or can you just give your expected degree grade ?

Many Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

is it just me or is the maths content ridiculously hard???ive my first maths tutorial in an hour and i couldnt do the homework. didnt even bother tryin i was so lost

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Yeah it's tricky. The book explains things pretty well though I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Bump.

The last thread in this post was nearly 3 WEEKS AGO, shocking really.

Hmmm ok something about BESS...................

Oh yeah, senior BESSheads...

Did you get a weird feeling of "ok where is half the class gone?" when you went into SF? It must be noted that this is of course not the same feeling as half the class not physically being there (ED Burke Nov-Apr 2007-2008) but actually now that everyone is doing their own thing it's like we're not one big happy family anymore.....

Well we are still big, happy and a family just not all 3 at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Randomness wrote: »
    Bump.

The last thread in this post was nearly 3 WEEKS AGO, shocking really.

Hmmm ok something about BESS...................

Oh yeah, senior BESSheads...

Did you get a weird feeling of "ok where is half the class gone?" when you went into SF? It must be noted that this is of course not the same feeling as half the class not physically being there (ED Burke Nov-Apr 2007-2008) but actually now that everyone is doing their own thing it's like we're not one big happy family anymore.....

Well we are still big, happy and a family just not all 3 at the same time!
    I was actually relieved to be surrounded by economists all of a sudden. I only have a handful of friends who didn't do economics, and while i did miss them as the year went on,I became much better acquainted with the more like-minded folk (nerds, basically) who shared my subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

How are all the rest of the boardsie JF BESS students finding it so far?
    Economics, Business, Politics and Law have been great, Maths and Sociology not so much.

maths and sociology suck badddddddd

rest is ok, ironically im finding law to be the most interesting.

overall though im not liking the course too much:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

quirkster wrote: »

Sociology, what a crock of ****ing ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Maths is great, why would you lie? Stats, now that's torture, just you wait.... though it has slightly grown on me in 2nd year

Sociology is awful though, just be happy in the fact that you can waffle the exam after a bit of cramming then drop it.

I think I pretty much hated BESS this time last year then things got better in Hilary term. Worst case scenario you can still apply for a course transfer up until the start of January as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

andrew wrote: »
    Sociology, what a crock of ****ing ****e.
    haha i agree, everything else is grand though, well german is really hard but anyway i`ll get through it i think...

anyone else finding the reading for the second theme in Org+Man so hard to get through i`m in the Library now ploughing on lol only 90 pages left....

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Cant say i thought sociology was best either. politics wasnt my favourite of subjects altho the course content was interesting, just had no intention of keeping it on.
    Economics was the worse i thought, altho im still doing it. lol. stats was terrible too but i have to agree with manicmonoliths that it is growing on me too.
    he last few lectures about regression anaylsis have been pretty sleepy tho ....wudnt mind having jacco again tho!

Cant say i thought sociology was best either. politics wasnt my favourite of subjects altho the course content was interesting, just had no intention of keeping it on.
    Economics was the worse i thought, altho im still doing it. lol. stats was terrible too but i have to agree with manicmonoliths that it is growing on me too.
    he last few lectures about regression anaylsis have been pretty sleepy tho ....wudnt mind having jacco again tho!

Yeah I'm finding the lectures pretty boring but the course content is okish, the homework sheets are going ok I think, it's hard to tell when the TAs only get through about 2 questions a class :o

Yeah I'm finding the lectures pretty boring but the course content is okish, the homework sheets are going ok I think, it's hard to tell when the TAs only get through about 2 questions a class :o

At least the TA is good though, and understands the content pretty well. the economics one is a bit more dodgy, because I really cant hear the guy. ah well....thank god for books. lol

At least the TA is good though, and understands the content pretty well. the economics one is a bit more dodgy, because I really cant hear the guy. ah well....thank god for books. lol

Yeah the stats TA is quite good thankfully. Agree completely about economics though.

Did John O'Hagan's speech inspire anyone to do schols? I had kind of gone off the idea but I think I'll give them a go. Nothing to lose! (except social life and mental health)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Had always intended to do them but now I have just lost my Christmas hols. Thanks John. P.S I think he's a great lecturer though.

i thought his speech was really good, but i think the schols are a bit beyond me, and id be pretty freaked being in like special classes where people except you be brillant at the subject. think il just keep on doing what im doing and enjoy life! was a good speech, i really like the guy although he really seems to dis like teachers! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

Anybody want to summarise this evening's schols talk for someone studying economics and politics? I would be grateful.

scruttocks wrote: »
    Anybody want to summarise this evening's schols talk for someone studying economics and politics? I would be grateful.

Well it wasn't BESS specific. And generally there was nothing important that most people wouldn't know already. Still good though. I was suprised by the turnout to be honest, only about 40 went to it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

scruttocks wrote: »

Seriously I don't know why nayone who does BESS would bother with the SU schols talk. The SER hold one in january and it is the only schols talk in Trinity worth any weight. Head along to that and you'll get a good over view of what you need to do for each subject. They usually have someone who got schols in the subject to talk about it.

• Advertisement

Seriously I don't know why nayone who does BESS would bother with the SU schols talk. The SER hold one in january and it is the only schols talk in Trinity worth any weight. Head along to that and you'll get a good over view of what you need to do for each subject. They usually have someone who got schols in the subject to talk about it.

I actually found it quite helpful because the girl giving the talk did BESS, so we found out many important things from her afterwards.

However obviously the BESS specific one is really important, it was just nice to get a bit of focus now........haha.....and then she types this....................

Also I have gone from yes to schols, to no to schols, then maybe to schols, then last night definitely yes to schols and now today in my stats tutorial.....yep you guessed it, no to schols. My silly brain and it's over-thinking.

ok well i certainly amn't enjoying 1st year BESS, however exams must still be passed. i am royally fecked for them.

i honestly didnt think BESS would require much study and have been proved horribly wrong. i realise i was an idiot to not even consider studying until last week but now i actually am worried.

could someone please give me a few tips on what to concentrate my study on for the next week.

maths is a gaurenteed fail so ill skip that but i feel economics and business might be ever so slightly passable, especially as i hold strong faith in my waffling and bull****ting ability.

id appreciate all help and tips given, whether it be from past christmas exams or from common sense that has surpassed me!

do christams exams really matter, in the sense that the ones that count towards 10% of final grade, only do so if you get the full 100% in them?

thanks peeps

ok well i certainly amn't enjoying 1st year BESS, however exams must still be passed. i am royally fecked for them.

i honestly didnt think BESS would require much study and have been proved horribly wrong. i realise i was an idiot to not even consider studying until last week but now i actually am worried.

could someone please give me a few tips on what to concentrate my study on for the next week.

maths is a gaurenteed fail so ill skip that but i feel economics and business might be ever so slightly passable, especially as i hold strong faith in my waffling and bull****ting ability.

id appreciate all help and tips given, whether it be from past christmas exams or from common sense that has surpassed me!

do christams exams really matter, in the sense that the ones that count towards 10% of final grade, only do so if you get the full 100% in them?

thanks peeps

Emmm let me think....

No they are not a big deal but at the same time it's nice to have a few percentage points in the bag.

They seem like a big deal at the time but in all fairness it's your first term in college, there is enough other stuff going on e.g making friends, settling in, having fun and figuring out what college is all about.

Firstly you can do many beneficial things in a week.

For business read all the stuff in the reading pack, it will become your bible. Don't be put off by his MCQs, they are designed to annoy you. Same goes for the short (100 word) things, there will be questions where unless you have a photographic memory you will have trouble answering, the most important thing is to answer the questions you know and if you have time, waffle through the ones you don't have a clue of. Many many people got a rude awakening from their Business MT test result, just do your best, if you know you havn't done the work then when you get your results you'll be motivated to try hard for the HT test. Also watch your time!!

For economics go through the MyEconLab again and again and again. The questions for us last year basically rewarded people who went to and did the tutorial work.

**All above advice only relevant if Gerard and Francis are taking the courses this year (I have know idea)**

I'll try and think of more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Francis O Toole is a legend.
    Just thought I'd put that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I agree. His little jokes are gold. And especially when he digresses slightly "Let's say you were cycling in the tour de France, not that any of you would be, but let's just say".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Plusity one.
    quirkster wrote:
    i honestly didnt think BESS would require much study and have been proved horribly wrong.
    It really, really doesn't. Certainly not in first year. Alls it requires is that you pay attention, take notes and read them before exams. Sometimes, such as in Business, you have to read some papers the tutors give you. There is almost no independent study needed to pass first year.

Try and keep your cool, but remember how you feel now and use it as motivation to keep on top of the more difficult subjects as you don't want to feel like you are now coming up to the end of year exams.

ya its geard and francis.
    well thanks for the re assurances i needed to hear them haha!hopefully the next two weeks will fly and ill be able to turn a new leaf after christmas

thanks dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Anyone from JS or SS or further advise as to the 2 management exams in SF?

OB as far as i can tell is just MCQs, but what I can't figure out is whether it will require lots of study or just reading the textbook for a few hours?

And will accounting be as awful as it sounds? Trying to make balance sheets,profit and loss accounts and not having much luck; I find it hard to tell from Patrick McCabes lectures which parts are the importnt parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

zuchum wrote: »
    Anyone from JS or SS or further advise as to the 2 management exams in SF?

If it's your man Fallenz you pretty much have to know everything in the chapters he assigns, he can ask some pretty specific things but when I did the test (last year) there wasn't any negative marking so you can plug any gaps in your knowledge with some cunning guesswork and bit of luck.

Accounting is nowhere near as bad as you think it will be, he pretty much told us what was coming up on the exam, he's not going to throw in any curve balls and he's all about changing the weighting of the exam if you mess up to boot.

• Advertisement

Hey by any chance does anyone have a macro-economics term test for SF that they could post? its by far my worst subject! any help would also be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement