Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

There's a small bit of maths in Intermediate Economics, nothing beyond Lagrange multipliers though. Would be right in saying you're thinking of doing schols?

Its not so much that I'm bad at maths, more that I just dislike it so that should be OK. I thought about doing economy of Ireland instead of intermediate econ though, and might change, any suggestions?
    Yeah I was thinking about schols, how'd you guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

andrew wrote: »
    Its not so much that I'm bad at maths, more that I just dislike it so that should be OK. I thought about doing economy of Ireland instead of intermediate econ though, and might change, any suggestions?
    Yeah I was thinking about schols, how'd you guess?

You can tell a lot from a person's subject choices :o I picked public policy thinking it'd be a handy enough schol exam.
    Well for the econ of ireland schol you're given the questions beforehand, I'm not sure how it'll work under the new schol structure though. Depends on how good at writing essays you are, since you're doing politics I reckon you'd maybe be more suited to econ of ireland. Obviously I know nothing about you though so you'd know what you're better at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Hey how are SF bessheads sorted towards the exams? I have a fun 5 in a row to look forward to!

Hey how are SF bessheads sorted towards the exams? I have a fun 5 in a row to look forward to!

Me too. Bit worried about management 1, it's looking like I'll just have to waffle whatever I can pick up from staring at the OB book and those marketing readings. Haven't a clue how to do the analysis for the accounting either, I'm hoping I can get around half the marks from Q3 just knowing the ratios (I'd bet start learning those actually) and making up some waffle about the economic downturn and such to explain them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Me too. Bit worried about management 1, it's looking like I'll just have to waffle whatever I can pick up from staring at the OB book and those marketing readings. Haven't a clue how to do the analysis for the accounting either, I'm hoping I can get around half the marks from Q3 just knowing the ratios (I'd bet start learning those actually) and making up some waffle about the economic downturn and such to explain them.

How much actual bookkeeping/accounting/ is involved in management 2...I mean in general, whats it like?

• Advertisement

How much actual bookkeeping/accounting/ is involved in management 2...I mean in general, whats it like?

You have to prepare balance sheets, income statements and cash flows as well as interpreting accounts so like assessing the performance of the business based on their financial statements. 30 marks on our exam are going for MCQs relating to the entire course. 25 for constructing an income statement and balance sheet and 45 for analysing financial statements.

went to the accounting tutorial there this morning. Suddenly realised the balance sheet and income statement are a good bit harder than I first thought (note it is still manageable tho) the adjustments that they went through a lot harder than what I remember from the year!
    also has anyone handed up their script for review?

Yea management one is a bit of a worry, although the marketing questions are ok to predict since she said a STP question would come up, and one on marketing in general I think. The OB is pretty annoying especially with the short answer questions section but hoepfully waffle will come to the rescue! :D

Economics is probably the biggest worry for me, with maths and stats coming in a close second!

Economy of Ireland should be fine I hope, altho since the essays this time have to be pretty long, alot more learning is required....

Fun exams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

have yet to get my accounting exam back from dr. mcCabe, worried about approaching him now,in case he eats me.

Are solutions to last years JF exams available anywhere?

Hey I was talking to Patrick McCabe on wednesday and he said that he has a report due in this tuesday/wednesday so if you e-mail him on wednesday he will contact you, so maybe late tuesday night would be better. He said if I was on campus next week that he would give it back to me, but if your not im sure he could e mail you your new result.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JohnnyDoogue

Ok have to panic now. What should I study for Economics!!! Like i have to learn Francis stuff and Catia stuff is a bit ridic!!!! Ideas?

I'd go for Monopoly, Oligopoly, Monopolistic Comp, Perfect Comp, Firm's Production AS-AD model, Multiplier stuff, Monetary System at least.

Did we do AS-AD? Have no memory of it! There are no proper exam papers due to the Catia being new to the course. Silly course at leas, I didnt fail the last midterm, one before it now thats a different story:D

I'd go for Monopoly, Oligopoly, Monopolistic Comp, Perfect Comp, Firm's Production AS-AD model, Multiplier stuff, Monetary System at least.
    Did we do AS-AD? Have no memory of it! There are no proper exam papers due to the Catia being new to the course. Silly course at leas, I didnt fail the last midterm, one before it now thats a different story:D

I think you've been given some first year advice when you were hoping for second year.
    We didn't do AS-AD this year with Catia no. It's kinda hard to predict what's going to come up, Solow Growth and Convergence is pretty much given, as is Business Cycle Model I think (but seeing as the majority of the book seems based on it that doesn't really narrow things down much) probably something on Inflation too.
    For Micro I think the past papers are the best bet, Francis seems pretty consistent with his exams. Income and Substiution effects are always there on it. I don't really like his slides though, they're too vague in places, I still have no idea what elasticity of substitution is all about along with half of producer theory.

I'm beginning to feel slighty less confident about accounting after actually trying one of the BS from the past papers and marketing is still as vague as ever. What am I actually supposed to be doing for marketing does anyone know?

Im pretty screwed for economics too. I failed xmas (38) and passed the mid term (58) but hopefully il be ok these ones. Gonna focus on the past papers for micro, and just focus on caitas notes and the tutorial questions, and kinda leave out the last section of macro.
    I think for marketing the best bet is to prepare a question on stp, and maybe the general marketing question (altho it could be a bit vague) and i also prepared one on branding and something else. The OB section is harder I think :(
    the past accounting papers are pretty tough, even the MCQ are tough but thankfully section B is the exact same so thats an easy one to prepare, the group accounts are tough but I guess just the formulas need to be learned and then hopefully I can make some kind of analysis, and there is the last two chapters (sorry for being obvious and basically pointing out his last lecture)
    Maths and stats seems pretty tough too, especially the stats side of it :(

hah sorry, I assumed you were in first year! I was wondering wtf catia was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Andrew what are you focusing on for economics and business??Any other first years have strategies for the last week?
    I have yet to start sociology and pol sci and dont know what im going to do for them.

Im leaving law for the 3 days break after maths and stats

I had a nice intensive Francis study day! Got all his stuff done for the first time=). Looking at the papers seems to be the best since it looks all familar but why the hell did we not get a Macro mock paper since the format is so different this year. Unfair to say the least.

Maths and Stats isnt that bad at all especially the Stats just sit down and do the Tutorials with the solutions and notes infront of you its really just practice!

Economy of Ireland the ledgebag O hagan giving us the essays!

Luckily I do TSM economics and just have to pull the old LC History book out for Irish History 1800-present day.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

quirkster wrote: »
    Andrew what are you focusing on for economics and business??Any other first years have strategies for the last week?
    I have yet to start sociology and pol sci and dont know what im going to do for them.

Personally I'm getting worried about how I did nothing today yet am going to watch a film now. I think a few essay swaps may be in order to cover the material for Pol Sci and Soc.

I don't know what the hell to do for business. I'm just hoping i've gotten enough of the 50% that's going for the rest of the year to be alright. For econ i'm doing the stuff I mentioned in the previous post, and as much of the other stuff as possible. Yeah, apparently law is pretty hard to fail. Hopefully.
    The Walsho wrote: »
    Personally I'm getting worried about how I did nothing today yet am going to watch a film now. I think a few essay swaps may be in order to cover the material for Pol Sci and Soc.

+1

• Advertisement

Andrew, for business, login to the webexone thing and in the folder you can get the answers from the Michaelmas and Hilary term tests. It's not much, but it's something, and it's easy "study".

andrew none of the previous assignments count unless you pass the summer test!!!If you fail the summer one, you fail the business exam completely!!Thats why Im so worried/pissed off. I break my balls over the year to go to every tutorial and do my best in every essay etc, to find that none of it is counted unless you get 40% in the summer test

Im defo up for a few essay swops walsho. I did the power essay in pol sci, sociological imagination for socio and capital versus talent for business. Got between 50-60% for all of them.

Shall PM you in a sec then quirkster.

Oh, and about the Business. To be honest I'm not sure how strictly they'll implement the "have to pass the summer exam" thing. Even Gerard McHugh said himself they'll be lenient enough that if you've only just barely failed the summer exam yet have done well so far, you'll be fine.

andrew none of the previous assignments count unless you pass the summer test!!!If you fail the summer one, you fail the business exam completely!!Thats why Im so worried/pissed off. I break my balls over the year to go to every tutorial and do my best in every essay etc, to find that none of it is counted unless you get 40% in the summer test

Im defo up for a few essay swops walsho. I did the power essay in pol sci, sociological imagination for socio and capital versus talent for business. Got between 50-60% for all of them.

Im sure that stuff will pay off pretty well if you spent loads of time at it as it will probably appear in your final exam. The highest fail rates are in Maths and Stats and Economics so focus on those ones the most id say, although I guess everyone one has different strengths so they might be the easiest ones to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tríonóide

Hi everyone, I'm a JF BESS student and I'm getting a bit tense before these exams next week so I'd like to know is; how indicative are Michaelmas and Hilary term exams of your performance in Full Year Exams?

Hi everyone, I'm a JF BESS student and I'm getting a bit tense before these exams next week so I'd like to know is; how indicative are Michaelmas and Hilary term exams of your performance in Full Year Exams?

Well that really depends on whether you actually gave them a decent attempt or just looked over them the night before. If you gave them a decent attempt and done badly, then I would hope that you done a bit more work since then. You got into the course, which has high points so you have the ability to do well in it (i think anyways)
    if you done well in your previous term exams and have been constantly working, and have been studying for these exams, I cant imagine you doing badly! (although this is based on an assumption!)

andrew none of the previous assignments count unless you pass the summer test!!!If you fail the summer one, you fail the business exam completely!!

Thats a bit ****, ****ers.

Thats a bit ****, ****ers.

I interpret this as "That's a bit mean, buggers"

So after 2 hours of searching the web and our economics book, I cant get a decent straight answer that I can understand and make sense of.

Is monopolistic competition efficient? And what are the differences between monopolistic and perfect competition?

Thanks

Andrew Im literally studying the things you mentioned in your earlier post for economics! God I am foooooked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

So after 2 hours of searching the web and our economics book, I cant get a decent straight answer that I can understand and make sense of.
    Is monopolistic competition efficient?
    Thanks

No. There exists product differentiation (whether real or imagined) and hence advertising. This is wastage of resources. In terms of the market form diagrams, monopolistic competition is not at equilibrium at MC=AC (i.e. AC lowest point) and hence is not efficient.

Advertisement