Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mad Cyril

Nul points
    Keine Punkte
    Nada
    Zilch
    Faic
    x = 0

Nice one. Was informed otherwise by some irresponsible filthmongerer yesterday and was momentarily concerned about my pathetic performance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

BUMP

I need to change some of my modules for 2nd year. Does anyone know how I can do this. I know it's just a matter of going into the BESS office, but do I have to wait until I re register or can I go in and do it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

andrew wrote: »
    BUMP

I need to change some of my modules for 2nd year. Does anyone know how I can do this. I know it's just a matter of going into the BESS office, but do I have to wait until I re register or can I go in and do it now?

I have to do this too. Let's do it together.

Then have intercourse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I emailed bess@tcd.ie last week and told them what I'd like to replace, got an email this morning telling me they had changed me over. Beautiful. Still on for the intercourse?

Andrew you sexy little piece of sexy sex. Email, good thinking! Now I'm hoping they'll do it for me too. Just emailed them. Did your timetable update now too?

And yes, intercourse would be delightful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hurluberlu

Hi there I'm going into first year in a couple of weeks I was just wondering if some of you guys knows about what first year's schedule may look like, I know there's quite a small amount of hours compared to other courses (I heard around 13) and how the courses are usually laid out throughout the week. I heard the schedule stays pretty much the same year by year, is that true?
    Thanks to whoever will take the time to answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

hurluberlu wrote: »
    Hi there I'm going into first year in a couple of weeks I was just wondering if some of you guys knows about what first year's schedule may look like, I know there's quite a small amount of hours compared to other courses (I heard around 13) and how the courses are usually laid out throughout the week. I heard the schedule stays pretty much the same year by year, is that true?
    Thanks to whoever will take the time to answer!

Are you doing Law or a Language? If you're doing Law, you're generally in from 9-11am monday morning afaik, which didn't go down to well last year.

13 hours is a bit off the mark work wise, though. You'll have weekly maths and economics tutorials, tutorials every second week in Political Science and Sociology, and then Business tutorials every so often on top of the basic lectures. You may have only that amount of actual lectures, but don't forget the tutorials on top of that. I'd say in total you'll probably hit about... 20 hours or so.

The course itself isn't mad intense though, especially the first few weeks. You can afford to take it easy enough and just get accustomed to the place.

BUMP

The Walsho wrote: »
    I have to do this too. Let's do it together.

You bastards. You could have handed me this nice little problem, I could have passed on some pretty ambiguous general info like a true class rep, and then felt bloody good about myself. But no, you guys had to figure it out for yourselves and book a little sex hooplah while you're at it. Bah humbug.

What did you change from? I'm going to switch from Intermediate Econ to Econ of Ireland, largely due to being told by everyone all summer that John O' Hagan is a legend.

You bastards. You could have handed me this nice little problem, I could have passed on some pretty ambiguous general info like a true class rep, and then felt bloody good about myself. But no, you guys had to figure it out for yourselves and book a little sex hooplah while you're at it. Bah humbug.

What did you change from? I'm going to switch from Intermediate Econ to Econ of Ireland, largely due to being told by everyone all summer that John O' Hagan is a legend.

I added on Math & Stats and Econ of Ireland (in addition to having already chosen intermediate econ) in order to complete the tri-fecta of subjects needed for some sort of econ degree, and got rid of a business course and the economics of public policy.

Glad to hear O'Hagan is a ledge, I'm expecting Econ of Ireland to be boring as ****.

Also, if you were a decent class rep you would've warned me that I would probably want to switch modules and prevented me from making my previous **** module decision. You suck, and I think you should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Glad to hear O'Hagan is a ledge, I'm expecting Econ of Ireland to be boring as ****.

It's not that bad at all, your man is really enthusiastic about the stuff so his lectures are grand.

Plus he tells you what's on the exams, by and large, so unless you leave you study preparation till the night before after you've had a few cans (read: me) his exams are easy to do okay in.

• Advertisement

Are you doing Law or a Language? If you're doing Law, you're generally in from 9-11am monday morning afaik, which didn't go down to well last year.

13 hours is a bit off the mark work wise, though. You'll have weekly maths and economics tutorials, tutorials every second week in Political Science and Sociology, and then Business tutorials every so often on top of the basic lectures. You may have only that amount of actual lectures, but don't forget the tutorials on top of that. I'd say in total you'll probably hit about... 20 hours or so.

The course itself isn't mad intense though, especially the first few weeks. You can afford to take it easy enough and just get accustomed to the place.

Thanks for that. I will be doing Law so I guess unless there's some change brought in I'll be up early Monday morning, never mind.

Is maths very hard to cope with?

Maths/Stats it fine so long as you sit down and actually do the tutorial stuff and make sure you understand it. I don't think it deserves the bad rep it gets anyway. I think most people get intimidated by it at first and then give up for most of the year, which causes a lot of problems.

Thanks for that. I will be doing Law so I guess unless there's some change brought in I'll be up early Monday morning, never mind.

Is maths very hard to cope with?

andrew is right about maths and stats, it isn't that difficult if you put the work in. The one thing to know about it is that it should be the subject you do consistantly all year, even if the other ones are left to relative cramming before the exams. You can read over and learn business, politics, law and sociology theory and notes, and heck, if you learn enough economics diagrams and processes you can pass that in that way too. But there's actually no point in cramming for maths really if you havent dont anything, the main way to succeed at it is to actual "get" it, which is impossible to do the night before an exam.

If you do all the tutorial homework each week for maths and stats, as well as a few questions on your own, it should click. It seems to just take repetition and practice for it to click, and once you reach that point it's pretty ok. Definitely not something to worry about, just do the work in it during the year and you'll be fine.

Hope you enjoy BESS :D
    I added on Math & Stats and Econ of Ireland (in addition to having already chosen intermediate econ) in order to complete the tri-fecta of subjects needed for some sort of econ degree, and got rid of a business course and the economics of public policy.

Also, if you were a decent class rep you would've warned me that I would probably want to switch modules and prevented me from making my previous **** module decision. You suck, and I think you should resign.

I like all my disciples to learn from their mistakes. Not my omniscience, and duties well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ginger13

I'm going to be a first year in BESS. Can anyone tell me what the French class is like? I'm wondering if my lack of fluency will be an issue. I took four years of French...but that's not saying much...

ginger13 wrote: »
    I'm going to be a first year in BESS. Can anyone tell me what the French class is like? I'm wondering if my lack of fluency will be an issue. I took four years of French...but that's not saying much...

Okay I'm just giving my own opinion here, but I pretty much hated French. It doesn't have the best rep in Trinity.

You learn all about the French economy and economic history. In French. I was hoping to actually be taught more of the language, but no. I got a B1 in my Leaving Cert so it's not like I was terrible at the language or anything.

The exams were piss easy though. Lots of multiple choice shít and stuff you can prepare for (the final grade was calculated through several different tests). There was an oral exam though which I hated.

I had French down for next year but changed it yesterday. I didn't want another year of dreading the French tutorial. Everyone'd sit around and the tutor would give us the exercises and everyone would get going and I usually had no idea what was going on.

Admittedly I never did a tap for the subject (hence the tutorial troubles), but I was just very disillusioned with it and had no motivation whatsoever. In my mind I could completely justify my lack of work.

I say stick with it though and try to keep up with what's going on. A small amount of work, regularly, would go a long way. And you won't have any trouble really. I did fúck all and did grand in all the exam.

andrew is right about maths and stats, it isn't that difficult if you put the work in. The one thing to know about it is that it should be the subject you do consistantly all year, even if the other ones are left to relative cramming before the exams. You can read over and learn business, politics, law and sociology theory and notes, and heck, if you learn enough economics diagrams and processes you can pass that in that way too. But there's actually no point in cramming for maths really if you havent dont anything, the main way to succeed at it is to actual "get" it, which is impossible to do the night before an exam.

If you do all the tutorial homework each week for maths and stats, as well as a few questions on your own, it should click. It seems to just take repetition and practice for it to click, and once you reach that point it's pretty ok. Definitely not something to worry about, just do the work in it during the year and you'll be fine.

Hope you enjoy BESS :D

Thanks for all your tips, I'll try and implement them although I've been saying "this year I'll be working during the year" since primary school...

Has anybody got thoughts on Russian? I picked Law but still not sure I made the right choice, I figured out it would be more straightforward and that you wouldn't really learn much Russian in just a couple of years.

Do you guys have any experience on the exchange programme with a couple of French business school that you can take part to in your last year? I thought that sounds pretty good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Has anybody got thoughts on Russian? I picked Law but still not sure I made the right choice, I figured out it would be more straightforward and that you wouldn't really learn much Russian in just a couple of years.
    Don't know about Russian but I took Law for JF and SF and it's grand. For us, there was just an end of year exam both years and without doing much work and missing a fair amount of lectures I got decent results.

That said the content is generally quite interesting and if nothing else you'll learn the basics of Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Anyone know what the deal is with exams during reading week this year, specifically for 3rd years?

Information seems to be fairly scattershot all round?

As far as I can tell, there'll be exams for only Business and Economics subjects during Week 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

zuchum wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with exams during reading week this year, specifically for 3rd years?

Information seems to be fairly scattershot all round?

As far as I can tell, there'll be exams for only Business and Economics subjects during Week 7?

Yeah Economics and a few of the Business courses seem to be plowing ahead with these 'mid-term tests'. It's pretty annoying because the rest of the college have no lectures or anything during the reading weeks to the best of my knowledge. So it's 6 weeks of lectures, a week of exams, then 5 weeks of more lectures, in both terms, fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Whens the deadline for switching modules?
    Im really not liking Intro to Social Research already.
    Whats the maths content of Into to Finance like?

• Advertisement

quirkster wrote: »
    Whens the deadline for switching modules?
    Im really not liking Intro to Social Research already.
    Whats the maths content of Into to Finance like?

I went into the BESS office today and spoke to Reiltin O' Connor about switching courses, she told me to email my course changes to bess.modules@tcd.ie asap, and no later than 10am tomorrow (friday) morning. I knew it was friday, but having it in before 10am was surprising. Either way, email that address if you want to change, and do so before 10am tomorrow!

Can't help you with Intro to Finance, but I dont blame you for wanting to get out of social research!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

I went into the BESS office today and spoke to Reiltin O' Connor about switching courses, she told me to email my course changes to bess.modules@tcd.ie asap, and no later than 10am tomorrow (friday) morning. I knew it was friday, but having it in before 10am was surprising. Either way, email that address if you want to change, and do so before 10am tomorrow!

Can't help you with Intro to Finance, but I dont blame you for wanting to get out of social research!

Intro to Social research is one of the easiest things I have ever done in my life...If you really want to do Finance, go for it..but if you want an easy module...

Hmm...maybe some people don't just pick the easiest subjects...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 marco_syco

It looks like I'll only be able to pick one of Investment Analysis or Applied Finance and can't decide on which.

I get the feeling finance is more practical and less theoretical, but I'm not sure about the new lecturer. Similarly, I've never heard of Robert Kelly before...

Has anyone any experience of the course or of Sevic and Kelly??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

marco_syco wrote: »
    It looks like I'll only be able to pick one of Investment Analysis or Applied Finance and can't decide on which.

I get the feeling finance is more practical and less theoretical, but I'm not sure about the new lecturer. Similarly, I've never heard of Robert Kelly before...

Has anyone any experience of the course or of Sevic and Kelly??

I knew a few people who did both - the general thing seemed to be that Investment Analysis was more rigourous and a better course for the most part, but Applied Finance had a bit more real-world study (20% of the grade went on a project studying the financial setup of a real-world company). That said, this was 2 years ago, with Somerville and Lucey teaching the respective courses; Applied Finance is likely to be a lot harder and better-taught with Lucey only doing half of it (I say this not because I have any experience with Sevic, who's new, but because it's virtually impossible for him to be a lazier or easier lecturer than Lucey), while Kelly is also new and thus a total wild card. Best bet might be to stick with them both for the first few weeks and try to get a feel for the lecturers that way; the BESS department are fairly OK about switching even a month into term as long as the lecturers approve it, and if you can tell them you've been going to their classes all along they shouldn't have a problem with it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

JF doing Business and French, thinking of switching to BESS. Is it still possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

JF doing Business and French, thinking of switching to BESS. Is it still possible?

If it is still possible, you'd want to ask now before its too late, although I did hear something about last friday being the deadline for changes. But because the 2 courses are so similar I'd say they wouldn't mind (like you haven't missed a lot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Defiantshrimp, an occasional boardsie, switched into BESS from Economics & maths at the end of Michelmas term of first year; he had to catch up on some sociology coursework, but nothing major. I'm sure you'll be fine if you go the relevant offices asap and beg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Unlikely, but could be possible.

You will probably need to have enough points to have got into BESS in the first place. Go see your tutor ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Hey sorry to bring up a question asked already but for the exams during reading week for JS BESS does anyone have any idea whether the exams will run into the weekend? im trying to go see my gf in france so I really want to figure out a gud time! thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Hey sorry to bring up a question asked already but for the exams during reading week for JS BESS does anyone have any idea whether the exams will run into the weekend?
    I'm fairly sure they're just running from Monday to Friday (Nov 9-13).

Advertisement