Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

subz3r0 wrote: »
    is it a useful module to take or will it be more worthwhile to choose one of the other two? Also, will the decision I make now affect my options later on?
    I haven't done the module and don't know of anyone who did so all I can recommend is choosing the one which you think you'd enjoy most. As far as I know the only way your module choice can affect things in later years is if you want to take Law in 3rd year - in that case you'd have to take both the 1st and 2nd year Law modules.
    P.S. And another thing. I was talking to a student from NUIM and he asked me what are my hours like. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of lecture/tutorial hours per week in JF BESS?
    You'll have 15-18 hours per week. 10-12 of those will be lectures, and the rest tutorials.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'm going into JF BESS and choosing my optional Module at the moment. I excluded all the languages for various reasons so I have Law, Social Policy and Russian/Central European Area studies.

While Law and Social Policy seem relevant to BESS, Russian area studies seems a bit random. I was thinking of choosing it since I'm Russian myself and have some interest in the topic but is it a useful module to take or will it be more worthwhile to choose one of the other two?

Also, will the decision I make now affect my options later on?

The extra module you choose in first year has no effect on the modules you can choose later, and the modules don't really relate to any subsequent modules, so none is more worthwhile than the other. If you think you might like Russian, do russian.
    P.S. And another thing. I was talking to a student from NUIM and he asked me what are my hours like. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of lecture/tutorial hours per week in JF BESS?

Lectures and tutorials come to about 18 hours per week. Some tutorials are every second week, so it can vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

If do German along with Business and Economics does that mean you defo can go to Germany or is it very limited and guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

Anyone have advice on what to do for the extra module (BESS 1st year btw)? I know a post above said it makes no difference - but the TCD website says if I do the French module for first and second year I can go to France in 3rd year. The sheet also says 'students who wish to study abroad in 3rd year should choice a language module' or something to that effect. I got a B3 in the LC and it says I need a C2 minimum, but I've always found French tricky. The thoughts of doing french again at 3rd level is a bit off putting, but I don't want to exclude myself from studying abroad. I know I'd do better at the Law or Social Policy modules, but I want to keep going to France/going abroad open. Anyone have any input?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Sgro wrote: »
    Anyone have advice on what to do for the extra module (BESS 1st year btw)? I know a post above said it makes no difference - but the TCD website says if I do the French module for first and second year I can go to France in 3rd year. The sheet also says 'students who wish to study abroad in 3rd year should choice a language module' or something to that effect. I got a B3 in the LC and it says I need a C2 minimum, but I've always found French tricky. The thoughts of doing french again at 3rd level is a bit off putting, but I don't want to exclude myself from studying abroad. I know I'd do better at the Law or Social Policy modules, but I want to keep going to France/going abroad open. Anyone have any input?
    I had the same attitude as you when I started BESS. Did OK at French at LC level but hated it, and the idea of having to keep studying it at 3rd level even more so. I took Law for this reason and didn't regret it.

I didn't go on erasmus in third year, but you can still go abroad if you don't have a language, although only to English speaking universities. IIRC there are a few in Australia, amongst other places. Have a look around the TCD/BESS webpages for erasmus info, there are definitely universities you can go to that are English speaking.

If you definitely want to go abroad to France specifically, well then taking French is the way to go!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't want to go to france specifically, but I'd want to keep it open. Do I need to do the french module then? Also, isn't Erasmus only for Europe or am I misstaken? ie. if I went to USA/Aus/Japan, would I have to pay tuition/fees that would be covered if I went with Erasmus?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

For those going into first year,when do we have to have the optional module form sent back to the course office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

lauz94 wrote: »
    For those going into first year,when do we have to have the optional module form sent back to the course office?

It says on the form by 7th September.

Do we get confirmation that we have got our optional module that we chose on the form we sent back? The form seems to imply that they are subject to availability,anybody else choose french? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AppetiteFor

Do we get confirmation that we have got our optional module that we chose on the form we sent back? The form seems to imply that they are subject to availability,anybody else choose french? :)

I sent my optional module form straight away and haven't received any confirmation; I don't think we will know until fresher's week. I chose French as well :)

• Advertisement

I sent my optional module form straight away and haven't received any confirmation; I don't think we will know until fresher's week. I chose French as well :)

Thanks :) French seems to be a popular choice from what I heard from other people :)
    also,does anybody know how many books on average we are required to get for BESS?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Thanks :) French seems to be a popular choice from what I heard from other people :)
    also,does anybody know how many books on average we are required to get for BESS?

In first year, buy the economics book, and the maths book (second hand if you wanna save more money). buying anything else is a waste of money. for subsequent years, I usually bought 1 textbook and downloaded the rest. The library usually has lots of copies of BESS books.

andrew wrote: »
    In first year, buy the economics book, and the maths book (second hand if you wanna save more money). buying anything else is a waste of money. for subsequent years, I usually bought 1 textbook and downloaded the rest. The library usually has lots of copies of BESS books.

Cool thanks :) Was looking at the different modules and the textbooks they recommend and was beginning to wonder if it really was necessary to buy them all!

Anyone know if its OK to hand deliver the module choice form? I still haven't done it, and seeing as the deadline is Friday I don't want to risk a delay in the post. Also, do the extra modules frequently fill up too fast? I was going to do Law but have decided to do French instead, am I likely to get a place submitting it this late?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cc1173

Sorry I can't find this: how many points where needed for 2012 entry? I completed my a levels last year and have 485, is 2013 entry likely to exceed this? (I did three a2s and one as, if I took that as to a2 and even got a d I would have more points. Stupid system. I can't even take it to a2 now as it needs to be done in the same year.)

cc1173 wrote: »
    Sorry I can't find this: how many points where needed for 2012 entry? I completed my a levels last year and have 485, is 2013 entry likely to exceed this? (I did three a2s and one as, if I took that as to a2 and even got a d I would have more points. Stupid system. I can't even take it to a2 now as it needs to be done in the same year.)
    This year the minimum points for BESS was 495 if I recall correctly.

cc1173 wrote: »
    In the first round offers the points were 495* meaning that some people on that points score didnt get offered a place.In the second round offers I think the points requirement dropped to 490,not entirely sure :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

http://www.tcd.ie/bess/downloads/FULL%20TIMETABLE%202012-2013.pdf

ok so these questions will probably seem stupid but i'll throw them out there. The bess timetable, how do we know what tutorial group we are in? there are groups 1 to whatever but no reference as to what group we're in. Did i miss a handout/email during the orientation week?

ronano wrote: »

ok so these questions will probably seem stupid but i'll throw them out there. The bess timetable, how do we know what tutorial group we are in? there are groups 1 to whatever but no reference as to what group we're in. Did i miss a handout/email during the orientation week?
    I was wondering the same,are they the groups that we were put into for the peer mentor groups after the course meeting? :/ The tutorials don't start for another week anyway so hopefully we will be given info about it during the week! :)

ronano wrote: »

I was wondering the same,are they the groups that we were put into for the peer mentor groups after the course meeting? :/ The tutorials don't start for another week anyway so hopefully we will be given info about it during the week! :)
    You will be assigned tutorial groups. When the personalised timetables are released on the mytcd system it should tell you which you are in. And the tutorial groups are not the same as the peer mentor groups.

• Advertisement

Do we do intro to economic policy in first year Bess?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No. It's just EC1010 Introduction to Economics.

(B.A.) MODERATORSHIP IN ECONOMIC & SOCIAL STUDIES (BESS)
    Junior Freshman:
    Students take six modules. Each module has 10 ECTS credits. The following five modules are
    mandatory:
    BU1510 Introduction to Organisation and Management
    EC1010 Introduction to Economics
    EC1030 Mathematics and Statistics
    PO1600 Introduction to Political Science
    SO1310 Introduction to Sociology
    In addition, students choose one of the following modules:
    *FR1040 French
    *GR1004 German
    *SP1018 Spanish
    RUF100 Russian
    PL1500 Polish
    LA1240 Introduction to Law
    SS1765 Social Policy Concepts/The Irish Welfare State
    RU1061 Introduction to Central, Eastern European and Russian Area Studies (through the medium of
    English)

Does anyone know when the lecture for the JF French module for Bess is on?

ditto for RU1061 Introduction to Central, Eastern European and Russian Area Studies (through the medium of
    English)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I think it was said that it'd be made available during the week. Nearly sure I heard that at the course meeting last week.

Out of interest, have you got your timetable yet?

barrier86 wrote: »
    I think it was said that it'd be made available during the week. Nearly sure I heard that at the course meeting last week.

Out of interest, have you got your timetable yet?

Yeah, that was said at the course meeting.

No, not formally, but I have all my lecture times except French. Still waiting on tutorials though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

How much does the 1st year BESS pack from Hodges Figgis cost this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scmc

Anyone know what AP and MUSB mean on the tutorial timetable?

scmc wrote: »
    Anyone know what AP and MUSB mean on the tutorial timetable?
    Aras an Phiarsaigh and Museum Building

• Advertisement

Will we eventually get a timetable that's tailored to our own classes and tutorials or is it a case we have to go through the modules listed on the bess office page and make our own from scratch?

Advertisement