Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Yeah, I can look up individual modules that way alright. BESS office publish a PDF with every module/tutorial, times and locations - but it isn't on the course website yet. Was hoping they might have circulated it via email or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Whats investment analysis like(EC3050)? Im cant decided between it and Less Developed Economies. My only concern would that I wouldnt be able to do the maths in investment analysis. Looking at the past papers it seems quite repetitive. But a fair amount of the class failed last year.

Less developed Economies is not being taught by Michael King this year. So Im as keen to do it, than if he was doing it.

I had King for stats in...SF I think. Seemed nice, got the job done, but got the impression that he was dyslexic due to how he wrote and worked formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Whats investment analysis like(EC3050)? Im cant decided between it and Less Developed Economies. My only concern would that I wouldnt be able to do the maths in investment analysis. Looking at the past papers it seems quite repetitive. But a fair amount of the class failed last year.

Less developed Economies is not being taught by Michael King this year. So Im as keen to do it, than if he was doing it.

It's a good module if you want to know more about financial instruments and what banks actually do. Maths is not bad in it. It's just manipulating exchange rates, discount rates and compounding...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

On the other hand, LDCs is GREAT and you should do it. And I say that as someone who had Michael King and was shafted by him (looking back on it probably legitimately). Even with the shafting it was great.

• Advertisement

Out of curiousity, any Bus/Econ JS students on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lmcgtb

CLUELESS FIRST YEAR IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP HERE!!!!

Guys, I'm too sick to go to my BU1510 seminar tomorrow, and I don't know what the protocol for missing seminars is. I have a doctor's cert, and I tried emailing the course coordinator and my tutor, but haven't heard back from either of them yet... I'm so stressed about it ahhhhh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

lmcgtb wrote: »
    CLUELESS FIRST YEAR IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP HERE!!!!

Guys, I'm too sick to go to my BU1510 seminar tomorrow, and I don't know what the protocol for missing seminars is. I have a doctor's cert, and I tried emailing the course coordinator and my tutor, but haven't heard back from either of them yet... I'm so stressed about it ahhhhh :(

I think there's a certain amount of the tutorials you can miss before it's a problem, I wouldn't worry too much once you've sent off all the emails! (Equally clueless first year here so I could be completely wrong)

On a side note, am I the only one feeling completely lost? I genuinely haven't got a clue of what's going on in any of our modules! Is this normal or am I doomed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Once you have notified the necessary people (which it sounds like you have?) then you should be OK. Did you email on a Sunday? Perhaps, it is plausible that lecturers also have lives and don't check email on a Sunday!! :) Ah no, you'll be grand and I'm sure you've heard back by now. Get better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭ronano

If you have a doctors cert, email the relevant lecturer and ta with a scanned copy and then drop it into the office to cover all bases. There won't be any issue about missing tutorials if you drop in/email basically open communication, i believe you're allowed to miss three tutorials during the year. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hi guys,

I'm a business and German student starting second year in a few weeks. My module options are Economy of Ireland, Math and Stats and Intermediate Economics. I'm looking for advice on which one to take.

I struggled with maths and stats in 1st year but passed (It was mainly the stats part i found difficult). However, I've heard it's better to take as many math based and modules as possible as they're useful and increase employment opportunities. I'd also like to work in finance so would it be wise to take maths and stats for 2nd year? Any advice for the module in general? Is it tough to pass?

I'd also consider doing intermediate economics. My only reservation is that I didn't do introduction to economics with BESS students in 1st year (it wasn't an option for my course). I did do economic policy which had no maths at all in it. Would I struggle because of this?

Out of the 3 modules, economy of Ireland look the easiest but it probably isn't the most useful if I want to work in finance as there's no maths in it.

Thanks for reading and all advice is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

Hi guys,

I'm a business and German student starting second year in a few weeks. My module options are Economy of Ireland, Math and Stats and Intermediate Economics. I'm looking for advice on which one to take.

I struggled with maths and stats in 1st year but passed (It was mainly the stats part i found difficult). However, I've heard it's better to take as many math based and modules as possible as they're useful and increase employment opportunities. I'd also like to work in finance so would it be wise to take maths and stats for 2nd year? Any advice for the module in general? Is it tough to pass?

I'd also consider doing intermediate economics. My only reservation is that I didn't do introduction to economics with BESS students in 1st year (it wasn't an option for my course). I did do economic policy which had no maths at all in it. Would I struggle because of this?

Out of the 3 modules, economy of Ireland look the easiest but it probably isn't the most useful if I want to work in finance as there's no maths in it.

Hi, recent BESS graduate here.

Economy of Ireland is much more essay-based and so if that's your strength will be the easiest. It's quite interesting too and like other modules headed by O'Hagan, I have found it to actually be the most applicable and insightful with regards to real life matters.

The maths & stats part of second year is not hard if you are somewhat capable in maths (for reference, I got a C grade in HL LC maths). However I did score lowly in it and it seems to be the biggest source of failing/repeating the year in BESS.

Intermediate economics is reasonable economic theory but if you haven't done first year econ you may find the jump a little bit tough but definitely not impossible.

Mainly I want to say though; please listen to me and for now and the rest of your time in college, only pick modules that you enjoy and/or find easy. Employers *do not* care about what classes you did in college and will never (or very very rarely) ever ask. All that will ever matter about your degree is the grade, and what subject it is in. The only time a module you took would matter is if you wanted to something intensely specific, and even then I doubt a second year module would matter. I am working in finance and dropped all finance/maths type modules after second year because I found them too difficult and they would drag down my grades. Honestly, pick the easiest modules for you.
    Employers, even in finance, will take degrees from all subjects (ie. history, arts, engineering etc) and will only look at the grade of your degree. Other factors like extra curricular work and showing a clear interest in the field will trump academics (and indeed what modules you did) any day of the week. Any practical/hard skills you might need to show (off the top of my head you would only need hard skills at entry level for specific trading jobs or going into some IB houses) you can learn/will learn most useful things outside of the classroom.

I made the mistake you made and picked 'useful' modules throughout college and averaged 2.2s because they weren't my strengths, then in final year when I realized overall grade was all that matters I picked modules where I would perform strongest and graduated with a first, which has proven to be way more valuable than a 2.2 degree with 'useful' modules. I iterate again - it is extremely unlikely the actual modules you took will ever matter or be questioned on. Pick what is your strongest and/or easiest module.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dontknow5

Hi guys,

Here's the best tip I can give you for Intermediate Economics. Don't miss O'Toole tutorials,none of them. Questions from his tutorials come in exact form in the summer exam.

Sgro wrote: »
    Hi, recent BESS graduate here.

Economy of Ireland is much more essay-based and so if that's your strength will be the easiest. It's quite interesting too and like other modules headed by O'Hagan, I have found it to actually be the most applicable and insightful with regards to real life matters.

The maths & stats part of second year is not hard if you are somewhat capable in maths (for reference, I got a C grade in HL LC maths). However I did score lowly in it and it seems to be the biggest source of failing/repeating the year in BESS.

Intermediate economics is reasonable economic theory but if you haven't done first year econ you may find the jump a little bit tough but definitely not impossible.

Mainly I want to say though; please listen to me and for now and the rest of your time in college, only pick modules that you enjoy and/or find easy. Employers *do not* care about what classes you did in college and will never (or very very rarely) ever ask. All that will ever matter about your degree is the grade, and what subject it is in. The only time a module you took would matter is if you wanted to something intensely specific, and even then I doubt a second year module would matter. I am working in finance and dropped all finance/maths type modules after second year because I found them too difficult and they would drag down my grades. Honestly, pick the easiest modules for you.
    Employers, even in finance, will take degrees from all subjects (ie. history, arts, engineering etc) and will only look at the grade of your degree. Other factors like extra curricular work and showing a clear interest in the field will trump academics (and indeed what modules you did) any day of the week. Any practical/hard skills you might need to show (off the top of my head you would only need hard skills at entry level for specific trading jobs or going into some IB houses) you can learn/will learn most useful things outside of the classroom.

I made the mistake you made and picked 'useful' modules throughout college and averaged 2.2s because they weren't my strengths, then in final year when I realized overall grade was all that matters I picked modules where I would perform strongest and graduated with a first, which has proven to be way more valuable than a 2.2 degree with 'useful' modules. I iterate again - it is extremely unlikely the actual modules you took will ever matter or be questioned on. Pick what is your strongest and/or easiest module.

Hi Sgro. Mind me asking which subjects did you do in your 4th year?

One more thing - pick Economy of Ireland (unless you found Introduction to Economics very interesting), it is very easy. The most failed subject this year for BESS students was not Maths but Intermediate Economics!

I'm starting 2ND year Bess with business and sociology, but keeping my options open for next year to do straight business by taking the economy of Ireland module. I had major problems with maths and stats last year and literally scraped through by the skin of my teeth. From my timetable I can see that the lecturer for MT economy of Ireland is the same as our stats lecturer and now I'm panicking! Is there loads of maths in this module ?

I'm starting 2ND year Bess with business and sociology, but keeping my options open for next year to do straight business by taking the economy of Ireland module. I had major problems with maths and stats last year and literally scraped through by the skin of my teeth. From my timetable I can see that the lecturer for MT economy of Ireland is the same as our stats lecturer and now I'm panicking! Is there loads of maths in this module ?

Economy of Ireland is just history.

dontknow5 wrote: »

Thank god :)

Well, that's how it was when John O'Hagan taught it. But I see that the new lecturers are still using his book so I doubt they will add any maths in it. So yeah, expect to write essays and stuff about the Economy in Ireland at the beginning of 20th century, what improvements would you make in the health service and education etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ekstar

Im going into my first year of bess. Is there book deals in the local bookstore or am I better of sourcing some second hand versions and buying the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

There usually is a deal on for Bess in Hodges and Figgis. You're generally better off getting a mix of some new and some secondhand. Certain subjects will require the newest edition. Others you will be fine with older editions. Lecturers should let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ZaharH

I am an aspiring BESS student and am wondering whether there are Christmas exams for BESS or any other courses in Trinity, apart from the Summer Exams.
    If so, when are they held (from and until what date).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JosephDoyleIre

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out - in the past, colleges used to give sample timetables for prospective students, now they're very hard to get. Just wondering if anyone here might be able to post a copy of their timetable, or last semesters timetable or whatever, just to give an idea for a prospective student. I realise that they can vary greatly but would still be of great help.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ubisoft5

Hi, I am going to forth year BESS and will follow a single degree in economics. I chosen the following modules: Economic Theory, Econ. of Financial markets, World Economy and Economic and Legal Aspects of Competition Policy.

If a former student somehow still follows this thread and has done any of the subjects mentioned above, please give a brief overview of how they found the economic modules ( assessment, lectures..).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hi,

I'm heading into final year of business studies and german in a few weeks time and I have a few questions with regards to modules.

1) Any tips for approaching "International Business & The Global Economy" or "Strategic Management: Theory and Practice"?

2) What are the easiest 4th year business modules to do well in? I have a choice out of the following: BU4501 Strategic Management: Theory and Practice
    BU4511 International Business & The Global Economy
    BU4522 Exploring Organisational Experiences
    BU4530 Financial Reporting and Analysis
    BU4550 Advances in Marketing Theory and Practice
    BU4580 Managing New Product Development
    BU4621 Social Innovation and Social Impact
    BU4630 Economic Policy and Business History

Thanks very much for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

With regards 1) make sure you stay on top of the group work. It's very easy to push things back particularly as midterms and individual project work can seem more urgent.

Now it might have changed since I did the course but with regards Strategic management you are given assigned groups while International business you form your own groups. It can be annoying if you're stuck with a lackluster group.

In respect to 2) it depends on what your own strengths and aptitude is. All things going well, you get the result you put the work in. If you aren't too mathematically inclined ,would probably avoid Financial Reporting and Analysis. From chatting to my classmates, a few were delighted with how well they did in Managing New Product Development.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Advertisement