Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Memory Failing.

Options
  • 26-04-2006 7:32pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Last night my less than 3 week's old graphics card crashed mid game. It fooze giving a picture similar to the black and white snow you see on a TV except larger dot's and multicolor. The computer has to be restarted.

This is now occuring randomly in game's such as Oblivion, Call of Duty United Offensive and Half Life 2. The card is a Sapphire x1900xtx running on the Sapphire Pure Crossfire Xpress 3200 chipset. Drivers are Cat's 6.4. OS is windows XP Pro SP2. Incidently I get the same multicolored satic screen just before the windows login box pops up.

Theory is dodgy memory on the GFX card and send it back for replacement.

But before I do so anyone else got any theory's or idea's/solution before I do so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

It sounds like a voltage issue, to be perfectly honest. What make of PSU do you have, and what is its rated wattage?

Have you noticed anything consistent about the crashes? Do they occur approx. 20 minutes after you begin playing these games? If so, then it could be an overheat issue.

On another note, is this card overclocked? These "dots" on the screen, they sound very much like artifacts; a common result when frequencies are pushed too far. Overclocking would also cause additional voltage+heat issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Try isolating the PSU cable used to power the GPU from any other devices.

Use Memtest+ to check your system RAM just in case.

Testing the card in another PC is also a good way to check if the problem persists.

Try under-clocking the core or RAM and see what happens;

The default core clock should be 650Mhz & the RAM should be 775MHz (1550Mhz effective) so start a small bit lower like 10Mhz and see how it goes & increase gradually to see if the issues stops if it doesn't then it probably is a defective component :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Seem to have sussed the problem. Seems to be an issue with the Cat 6.4 drivers. Going back to 6.3 seems to have fixed the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yup confirmed some nasty bug in the driver you can see a whole bunch of folks complaining in this thread at Rage3D.

At least there is nothing wrong with the hardware :)

Advertisement