Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Pigeon Trap ???

Options
  • 26-04-2006 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can buy clay pigeon traps...or what type to get for a fairly reasonable price...I'd like to have my own small one for shootin a bit durin' the summer.
    I priced those small ones, that can be mounted on a spare wheel, before @ roughly €140 or thereabouts...I think that was in Duffy in Galway

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I like to call that model the "automatic trap" as it tends to save you the job of shooting, usually breaking the clays as it throws them.

I've had a lot of success with the Birdmaster range, dearer, but far higher quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Paid 100 Euros in Steve's tackle shop Limerick for Civ's "automatic" trap.The Jumper would be a better name for it.After a dozen throws it starts to jump out of the ground.Thus requiring moving to more solid ground,to repeat the process a dozen throws later.Grrrr.
    As for the breaking,I found it is down to the rubber strip,that you must glue into the arm yourself.Secure it with extra electrican tape,and the spring tension,hand tight is all it needs.Definately a occasional trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

bought a bowman trap off ebay for a little over a hundred throws them fairly far and never breaks or misses one made up my own frame to mount it on

a167955_mainpic.img&w=500&sq=Y

Bowman traps are excellent.

Buying a decent thrower and making your own frame is the way to go for a cost effective setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

cool thanks for the replies any more info welcome :D

I probably should be able to weld together a stand for her so no worries there.

BTW what are the legalities of me shootin' clays with a friend (who has no licence or experience)using my gun, just once or twice :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Legally he can carry the gun for you and load it for you, but not fire it.

This is one area I had hoped the shooting representative organisations would get a break for us in the CJB. In the UK for example, it's legal to shoot once you are in the company of the licence-holder. This would have been very handy for shooters here helping to introduce new people to the sport in a responsible fashion.

Instead we seem to have a gotten a useless watered down "training licence" mess.

Advertisement