Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Metal back in 85

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Black Metal... 85... Predating the whole Scandinavian thing by a good few years?

Sorry Doc, but Venom's first album was released in 81, and their album entitled "Black Metal" was released in 82. Although the band who really started off the whole scandivanian thing was Bathory from Sweden, who's first album was released in 84.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm not suggesting Celtic Frost invented it, I was pointing out they were talking about it in 85, long before the more renowned Scandinavian movement, which is most commonly associated with the genre, really came into being and offering an insight into the origin of the genre. I am also very well aware of Venom and their early days, though the album carried the name, the genre didn't really become that widespread until years later :)

Doctor J wrote:
    I was pointing out they were talking about it in 85, long before the more renowned Scandinavian movement

Bathory are still generally attributed to the typical Black Metal sound, they're scandinavian, and they're pre-85.

Dude, the idea was to put up some interesting footage which most people won't have seen, not start nit-picking over who did what and when.

Let me rephrase - here are a couple of interesting videos of Celtic Frost which document a moment in the evolution of a genre which arguably had it's heyday several years later in Scandinavia. I do hope you can enjoy them for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Awesome footage there. Especially that solo in Circle of the Tyrants. Funnily enough I had a Circle of the Tyrants day the other day as I was listening to loads of covers of it (only two do it justice, Opeth's and Obituary's). Such a great song. Although I've just mentioned two death metal bands, the Frost's influence on black metal cannot be denied.

Doctor J wrote:
    Dude, the idea was to put up some interesting footage which most people won't have seen, not start nit-picking over who did what and when.

Let me rephrase - here are a couple of interesting videos of Celtic Frost which document a moment in the evolution of a genre which arguably had it's heyday several years later in Scandinavia. I do hope you can enjoy them for what they are.

Sorry there, I won't argue any more so. Yes, cool video for Circle Of The Tyrants though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

ó F&#237 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    OK, I know we're not trying to nitpick excessively, but.....what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

He's right to an extent. Both Venom and Bathory's earlier works are blatant Thrash, albeit with extremely dark lyrical content. I wouldn't necessarily place them in the "Thrash Metal genre", however, as they clearly don't belong there for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Nah, they're BM.

Those vids would have been in the Hellhammer days aye? Or when did they change names?

• Advertisement

Nah, they're both Celtic Frost. I believe Hellhammer ceased in late 84.

Advertisement