Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick, basic probability question

• 26-04-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Well, end of another academic year approches, so commences another of my crash courses in whatever I was supposed to study during the year.

Anyway, what does x generally signify in probability? I know what x usually means but that line underneath is kind of throwing me off...in my rustiness :o

And...for 100 flips of a fair coin, why is P(x) = 2^-100 ?

Comments

It's been a while, but I would have thought the 2 was representing the fact that there are 2 possible outcomes...

Could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

sorry, that should read P(x) = 2^(-100) !

But yeah the two definitely represents {1, 0} as the possible outcomes...it's just that bar under the x that I'm clueless about...Our poxy lecturer never seemed to explained this stuff (at least while I was awake).

IIRC it shouldn't be there/doesn't mean much
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notation_in_probability
    doesn't seem to be standard anyway

perhaps this particular notation falls under the statistics section of the course...who's to know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

x represents a vector, i.e. a column in a matrix.

The probability of a string of n heads in n tosses is (1/2)^n

= 1/(2^n)

= 2(-n)

• Advertisement

Ah! Of course! Thanks man :)

Advertisement