Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys rounter problems

Options
  • 26-04-2006 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Problem: I am running 98SE and last week got connected with BT broadband, it works perfectly on the supplied modem. When I connect the router, the network sets up fine, but it just won't connect to the interent.

Answer: thats where I need you people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

gillo wrote:
    Problem: I am running 98SE and last week got connected with BT broadband, it works perfectly on the supplied modem. When I connect the router, the network sets up fine, but it just won't connect to the interent.

Answer: thats where I need you people

Can the router access the internet?

e.g. can you ping www.google.com from the router?

paste the results of ipconfig/all

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Is broadband modem connected to the wan port on the router?
    If so is router set to autodetect ip and dns on that port?

Can you confirm on the linksys that it has a valid internet connection on the status screen?
    Does it need a cross over or straight through cable?

What settings were you using on client pc when connected directly to modem - autodetect ip and dns?

On ipconfig /all
    gateway and dns should be the address of router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

What modem did they give you... Zyxel 623? If so, that's a combined modem/router and your best course of action is to turn it into a dumb modem by enabling bridge mode so you can use the routing function on the Linksys:

1) Hook the Zyxel up to your PC and configure it for bridge mode
    2) Hook the Zyxel up to the WAN port of the Linksys
    3) Hook your PC up to a LAN port on the Linksys and reboot your PC or use winipcfg to get an IP address from the Linksys
    4) Log in to the Linksys and configure the PPPoE section with your user/pass and hit Connect

An alternative method is to leave the router enabled on the Zyxel, turn off the DHCP function on the Linksys, and hook the Zyxel to a LAN port on the Linksys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thanks snowbot, I tried the second option, but it's still the same. I have also tried running the set-up disc and it just restarts the PC and then does nothing.

gonna get my bro to come out next week, he's teh tech head in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What model is the router, what are the results of start > run > command (seeing as its win98) > ipconfig /all?

Let us know the above so we can move you foward to net bliss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I had a similar problem when I first got my wireless router and it was doing my head in. Then I found this piece of advice on Boards.ie.
    "Run an ethernet cable from the modem to a LAN port on the router...NOT the uplink/internet port. LAN not Uplink"
    It goes completely against the instructions but it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Pikasso wrote:
    I had a similar problem when I first got my wireless router and it was doing my head in. Then I found this piece of advice on Boards.ie.
    "Run an ethernet cable from the modem to a LAN port on the router...NOT the uplink/internet port. LAN not Uplink"
    It goes completely against the instructions but it worked!

Doh!! Just returned the unit to Maplin yesterday (no hassle with a refund, nice people there) that sounds so easy to try.
    We tried putting teh modem in bridge mode but then couldn't connect at all (even without the router), I was tryign to find a wireless hub / switch which wasn't a router, but no where seems to have them.

Think I'll just buy a wireless modem / router all in one and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement