Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand cabbage tree in the North?

Options
  • 26-04-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if one of these would grow up here in Fermanagh? I’ve seen lots of them in gardens down south – pic of one at Bantry House, Cork – but not really any up here. Apart from Donegal, that is, where they seem remarkably ubiquitous but as soon as you cross the border into NI they’re nowhere to be seen. Is Donegal the only northernmost county that has a mild enough winter for these things to grow?

Apparently their Latin name in Cordyline Australis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

They tend to be costal, as they don't like hard frosts. A one off -3 mightn't do much harm, but a winter of frosts will. I'd say you might be pushing your luck in Fermanagh, unless you can give it a well protected site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

So you wouldn't recommend one for Fermanagh, then? I have, actually now that I remember, seen a small one growing in a garden not to far from my house. But I don't know how old it is or if it will even last in the long run.

Do they grow better the further to the south west of Ireland you are? I mean that one at Bantry House in Cork is probably the largest I've ever seen but that may be due to age rather than climate. I've never seen them flower in Donegal so I wonder if they do flower this far North?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Cordyline Australis are bloody ubiquitous here in Dublin, every front garden seems to have one. They flower regularly here and are pretty attractive plants.

I'd say chance it in your garden in Fermanagh - often, plants are far hardier than they are 'supposed' to be. Worst case scenario, your plant won't survive a harsh winter - but they're only a few quid from the garden centre, and who knows, it might just thrive, what with global warming and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

MT,

They don't like hard frosts, so you tend to find them on the coast. I've seen them up in Antrim, so it's not a matter of how far north you are, more a matter of how far inland. If as Gordon says, they're only a few quid, then I'd try it and see what happens.

Advertisement