Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still not handed in the geography

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Good thing you're a junior cert student...you havent much sense

What is that supposed to mean? I do know what i am on a about. And what,you are going to get an A1, fair enough if you are. How many words is your FS Project for curiousity. The actual new syallabus maybe very bad luck for the likes of you because its the first year it is being examined but it is actually easier. In the old syallabus you had to learn your project before going into the exam but now you can do it in advance. You would have to be crazy to think the new syalllabus is harder in my opinion. Only short answers are needed in the exam not like before when you had to write an A4 page about river erosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

DonaldDuck is that your general opinion that you stereotype junior certificate students as having no sense? Walk back memory lane when you were doing your jc and think you were in the same situation. Would you have liked to be pigeon holed as being that '' having no sense''?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

the FS is supposed to be 1000 words in total max, but most people i know have written over that amount

JSK 252, dont concern yourself with leaving cert ****e, enjoy the beauty of the junior cert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Rockerette wrote:
    the FS is supposed to be 1000 words in total max, but most people i know have written over that amount

yes i know a lot of people, in fact if im not mistaken nearly the whole year that have went over the word count.

now by marking scheme, they'll be deducted 6 marks instantly. :D however they have an advantage in that if they have 10 points down in a 5point section they'll be marked on their best 5 and probably get full marks.

whereas if i only have 5 down and make a mistake in 1, i'll lose 1/5th of the marks in that section thus drop MORE points than the guys that have went over the word count.

it's a risk i took by staying under the word count as i knew everyone was going over it, but ive made it very difficult for the examiner to dock me marks. im hoping i'll come out with 6 marks above the rest.

worst case geography report result = 17/20. (if i get an alert and smart examiner as there is flaws in it, but ive disguised them well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

yeah, but see heres the beauty of the whole word count thing. what examiner, thet has to read hundreds of fs's, is going to count all the words?! seriously! unless you have tiny writing and you've completely jamed the booklet full, they wont even notice

• Advertisement

roberta c wrote:
    yeah, but see heres the beauty of the whole word count thing. what examiner, thet has to read hundreds of fs's, is going to count all the words?! seriously! unless you have tiny writing and you've completely jamed the booklet full, they wont even notice

ive thought of that. the 1st 2 sections are easily counted so you'd be a fool to go over the word count in them 50 & 100 words respectively i think.

the examiner won't count words individually , maybe not at all but im sure they'll do a few spot checks. standard 22 lines in each book multiplied by your general words per line and that'll give them a quick indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

if people are like 400 words over, i think it'll be pretty obvious to ANYONE reading it that its too long..

and you should definitely get deducted for it...

hopefully they'll be smart from the first year and actually punish people for it, cos otherwise for the next whatever amount of years people will just ignore it the word limit, saying they dont care.
    same with history.

i don't think they can actually deduct any more than the 6 marks for going over it, anyway there's been so much confusion over it that i can see them having about 5 different marking schemes for the field work alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

i don't think they can actually deduct any more than the 6 marks for going over it, anyway there's been so much confusion over it that i can see them having about 5 different marking schemes for the field work alone!

That is so true! Nobdoy has an effing notion really whats going on. I reckon there will be a 0.2% fail rate for geograohy this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

0.2% ?

I was thinking, .345%... must of calculated it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AliceH

:rolleyes: er...just to change the subject a little here... we have a whole elective we havent done yet and i dont even know how to go about the thing... a little help? I'm a repeat so I have been doing the course since september and its pretty different. Also my teacher is the biggest Gob****e alive and has no idea what he's doing himself. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

AliceH wrote:
    :rolleyes: er...just to change the subject a little here... we have a whole elective we havent done yet and i dont even know how to go about the thing... a little help? I'm a repeat so I have been doing the course since september and its pretty different. Also my teacher is the biggest Gob****e alive and has no idea what he's doing himself. :eek:
    You can do the elective books in about 2weeks,less if you move at a fast pace.Theyre very short,and very similar to the option book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

roberta c wrote:

1000 words per book × 250 books per examiner (a modest estimate) = 250,000 words. As long as you don't broadcast it to the examiner that you've gone over the limit (writing something stupid like 1050 in the word count box for example, or filling each line in the book), you have leeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AliceH

Right ok. The thing is. I have three classes left with him, and dont have the book that that elective is in cos he never told us to get it. So i think im screwed anyway. But thanks as always for advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Thinking back, why the **** did I write 1068 in the word count box. Did everyone else write a figure under 100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

yes. I know you dont wanna hear this but you have definately lost some marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

yea, i have 995 as my word count. Didnt even count the words to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Yea i said that it was 987 even tho i knew it was well over the word count.

Funkstard wrote:
    Thinking back, why the **** did I write 1068 in the word count box. Did everyone else write a figure under 100?

:D:D docked marks before the examiner starts correcting it.

it says specifically not to go over 1000, you did deliberately and thus broke the rules. shame on you :cool:

the decent irish thing to do is go over 1000 words then lie about it and hope no one notices. ;) this is what our future ministers will be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm not too sure if I will lose marks. At the teacher's conference the examiners said the wordcount wouldn't be enforced too strongly, and I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in the rules on the actual booklet we wrote it out in, it said "you should not write more than 1000 words". Not "you cannot write more than 1000 words".

A good few of my class did the same. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnPH

Yea, like you say Funkstard , they said aslong as you remained within the pages allocated they wernt gna make a big deal out of it

JohnPH wrote:
    Yea, like you say Funkstard , they said aslong as you remained within the pages allocated they wernt gna make a big deal out of it
    You could go to easily 2000-3000 words in the booklet.I went to 987 with 2 pages left in gathering and 2 1/2 left in results.

DonaldDuck wrote:
    You could go to easily 2000-3000 words in the booklet.I went to 987 with 2 pages left in gathering and 2 1/2 left in results.

pretty much the same as me. at least we know we're right and can't feel guilty for breaking the rules. :D

we've got full marks for adhering to the word count in each section, the rest of these people don't know if they'll get the marks or not. :)

smemon wrote:
    pretty much the same as me. at least we know we're right and can't feel guilty for breaking the rules. :D

we've got full marks for adhering to the word count in each section, the rest of these people don't know if they'll get the marks or not. :)
    As long as you write under 1000 in the box you would probably getaway with doing up to 1200 or 1300.I prefered to kep safe though and not risk it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

eh i think that ur allowed to go over the word limit by 10%
    well thats what our teacher told us anyway.
    i dont think that u will be deducted marks for the word count, especially cuz its the first year.No one has a clue what going on with the course at the mo.;)

Advertisement