Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go at the weekend?

Options
  • 26-04-2006 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

I recently moved to Cork and only know a few people (my work mates who are not about at the weekend anyway)
    I was wondering where would be the best places for me to go at the weekend to get to know people.
    What are the best pubs, late bars and nightclubs.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

go to the boards beers next weekend!
    look through old posts... this has been asked a few times, but generally it's easier to tell you where to go if we know what kind of music you like, how old you are...

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

"boards beers"? What is that and whre will it be?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

*audible sigh*

it's an excuse for us to get hammered. next friday

keep an eye here -->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054923288 for our location, ummmm, yeah and random insult throwing, youll need the practice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't mind that gobshíte. (<-- See?!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i hope you weren't refering to me. and yes well done on your use of the fada, if only i could teach other ppl how to use it and thus spell my name correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

1. get in car
    2. point toward west Cork
    3. enjoy

dont mind all that 'getting to know people' airy fairy bullshít, you'll do far better as a hermit.

sed -e 's/west/East/' rymus

West Cork is a dull dump filled with cranky-ass ignorant mucksavages that foreigners think are 'quaint' and 'traditional' because they're just so damned rude and stupid, and because it rains all the time, and because the place is filled with 'colorful' effing weeds. Head to East Cork, where they're much more polite and cheery. They'd stab you in the back soon as look at you, but still a much nicer lot to get on with. And the weather's better too. And the roads. So there.

*No offense to West Corkonians, obviously. Or East Corkonians

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

that reminds me Adam, hows the job going at the tourism board?

County Manager now rymus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

if you feel like being forced against hundreds of sweaty dipshíts who think the are more alternative than everyone else..... try the bróg on oliver plunkett street. its great! AND if your lucky enough to go there in the daytime you too can find out what ass smells like.

the old oak down the road is a nicer less packed pub,and cypress ave above it hosts good live gigs, the LV at the end of Mc Curten(sp) street is a great pub too. very small and intimate with a great athmosphere. the Quad on tucky st. can be a larf when it decides to play some decent music plus the crowd is a little older.

i dunno though, what kind of pub do you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Of course it will take a Dub to tell you where the real classy places are 'loike'...

I always used to like 'The Long Island' down Washington St. Great place to bring de auld mot, bud. Best cocktail bar in Ireland, full stop.

Scotts is a great 'start-off' point. In fact we used to play a Cork drinking game where we'd start off at Scotts, work our way up O.P. St. via the High B, Brogue, etc right up to the Long Island, then over to the Scholar, back down through Patrick St, earning extra bonus points for not stopping in the Abrakebabra on the way from Washington to Patrick St.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of any of the (few) pubs on Patrick Street, because at that stage of the game everything was a big blurr.

Those still standing at this stage could progress across the Lee, and venture into 'harder' pubs such as the Long Hall.

To be honest, you really can't miss out anywhere in Cork City Centre. My favourite 'drinking' city in the whole of Ireland. Loike.

mawk wrote:
    the old oak down the road is a nicer less packed pub
    Less packed, but populated with plebs.
    Unfortunately I can't remember the name of any of the (few) pubs on Patrick Street
    On a point of pedantry, there's only one pub on Patrick's Street, Le Chateau ("The Shat").

Unintentionally Alliterative Adam

Of course it will take a Dub to tell you where the real classy places are 'loike'...

I always used to like 'The Long Island' down Washington St. Great place to bring de auld mot, bud. Best cocktail bar in Ireland, full stop.

Scotts is a great 'start-off' point. In fact we used to play a Cork drinking game where we'd start off at Scotts, work our way up O.P. St. via the High B, Brogue, etc right up to the Long Island, then over to the Scholar, back down through Patrick St, earning extra bonus points for not stopping in the Abrakebabra on the way from Washington to Patrick St.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of any of the (few) pubs on Patrick Street, because at that stage of the game everything was a big blurr.

Those still standing at this stage could progress across the Lee, and venture into 'harder' pubs such as the Long Hall.

To be honest, you really can't miss out anywhere in Cork City Centre. My favourite 'drinking' city in the whole of Ireland. Loike.
    i aint ever goin out to town with you, the long island sucks balls and scotts even more so!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks everyone for all the tips.
    I have to agree with Mawk. I was in the Brog and the Old Oak on Saturday night and my feeling were exactlt the same. The smell hits you as soon as you walk into the Brog and the entrance area looks run down, although the lounge area is quite nice and has a good asmosphere.
    On the other hand the Old Oak is a lovely clean bar but there seemed to be a much older crowd.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My few cents...

Old oak : nice pub, crap crowd. I'd go in if I were looking for a quiet daytime pint, but I'd rather have at my eyes with a fork than go in there of a weekend for the night.
    Brog : it is possible to have a good night in there, just not on a saturday. Wednesdays are the best nights I reckon, because it's not too packed and the music's pretty good - plus you can usually get seats upstairs. Fridays can be ok if there's a good crowd, but for the love of god don't bother with a gig there unless you know the band. (Oh, and avoid the pints, they're foul).
    Sinners : reasonable if it's not too crowded, but the floor is worryingly sticky.
    The Quad : Overly dark, crappily laid out hole with manky pints. Plus they get snotty about age as if they were a far classier pub than they in fact are.
    The Slate : Right next door to the Quad but far far better, though it's still a bit annoying when it gets packed.
    Mutton Lane Inn : great pub if you can get space there, which means arriving in the afternoon rather than the evening. Hardly worth trying at weekends due to the crowds.
    Fred Zeppelins : good if you like your metal, though there's usually a better crowd midweek - it can get too cliquey at weekends (and you haven't been made to feel like you're very much out of the in crowd until someone wearing a floor-length PVC sckirt with a 2-foot train attached has given you the evil eye for being insufficiently gothy-looking).
    LV : one of my favourite pubs in cork, despite its lingering and inexplicable aroma around the bar area. Good music, decent prices and a generally decent crowd.
    Scotts : total dive, the only thing that stands out about it is the smoking area. On the other hand, if it's a meat market with dire chart music you want, you may in fact love it.
    Franciscan Well : one of the best pubs in cork, a great beer garden and selection of local brews on tap. A great place to go during the summer.
    Tom Barry's : second only to the Frankie Well as beer gardens go, partly because of how far out of the way it is and partly because the prices have been going up steadily.
    The Abbey : very nice and cosy little pub around the corner from Finbarr's Cathedral, just before College Road.
    Long Island : not a bad place to call into for a drink, although it's regular crowd is such that I'd regularly go there. It doesn't usually hit the mark of the "classy cocktail lounge bar" that it's aiming for, but the management appear to think that it does.
    Preachers : great little bar on Washington street, although it's tiny and gets jammed full of students/student wannabes quite a lot.

Can't think of anywhere else off hand...

Le Chéile's, the crúiscín, the fionbarra, an spailpín fánach, too lazy to write descriptions, im sure someone else might.

tis off to the lovely preachers i go now in search of a pitcher of cider w/ rasa.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Advertisement