Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 214 engine problem

Options
  • 26-04-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I currently own a 97 Rover 214si. Its a non runner I've been told it probably needs a new engine. Im debating will I get it fixed or try sell it as it is. Now my question would anyone have an idea how much an engine would cost to buy and have fitted. If its looking like to much hassle I might try sell it on anybody got an idea of how much it would be worth, Its clean inside and out no marks with about 100K on the clock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What wrong with it - why does it need a new engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Not too sure I wasn't there when the mechanic came to look at it I was told he thought it was seized. I only had it service two weeks before this happened.

How did it happen? - something serious must have happened to warrant any engine replacement. It's lot of € for an engine so you should be sure that it's really knackered.

I was just driving home on the M50 one night out of the blue it started to make a horrible noise. I made it home alright and havent drove it since.

I'd get a second opinion just in case. It's alot of money for a new donkey.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I will. I was a bit on the lazy side doing anything about it. Its been sitting outside my house for about four months. I've bought a new car and all since.

The noise you heard could be anything - not necessarily a complete new engine. If it 'seized' then it would have stopped. Did your oil pressure light come on?

Nope nothing like that. It cut out just as I got home. One other thing Is it just jump out of gear just before it made the noise. It went back into gear fine but the noise stayed their. Im having some doubts about the how well the mechanic looked at. I'm having another mechanic look at it monday.

DingDong wrote:
    Im having some doubts about the how well the mechanic looked at. I'm having another mechanic look at it monday.
    So am I. I'd guess that the mechanic didn't want to do the job and scared you off with the price or he didn't know what was wrong and covered all angles!!!

It could be any amount of things. I'd like to hear the second opinion.

BTW - The battery will most likely be flat after 4 months so either charge it up or tell the mechanic to bring a booster pack or even a set of jump leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Tbh I wouldn't spend anymore money on this car if I was you, I doubt you'll get it back. Cut your losses and get rid of it. Rovers aren't worth much even when they are going well. Nearly all of them gave headgasket trouble and a secondhand engine might not be the answer either.

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    Nearly all of them gave headgasket trouble and a secondhand engine might not be the answer either.
    This could well be the problem and if it does need a new engine it'll cost more than the car's value. They aren't the most desirable car on the road.

Cheers crosstownk I'll give the battery a charge before he comes. junkyard my thought exactly thats why I went and bought a new car (99 Golf) and didnt worry about fixing it. It just the girlfriend is looking for her first car and I thought if I get it going cheap I'll give it too her. The headgasket did go on it about a year before, But it wasn't any of the same thing such as overheating.

DingDong wrote:
    I went and bought a new car (99 Golf) .

It just the girlfriend is looking for her first car and I thought if I get it going cheap I'll give it too her. The headgasket did go on it about a year before, But it wasn't any of the same thing such as overheating.

Good move buying a Golf!

A blown head gasket can cause overheating (not all the time). Overheating can cause the engine to 'buck and 'kick' which could cause the car to jump out of gear. So could a broken engine mounting.

It'd make a great first car for your g/f.

Thanks for the help crosstownk. The rover owes me nothing I think I paid 2900 for it, 3 or 4 years ago(my plan was to drive it till it stopped :) ). I very happy with the golf very solid feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Bangernomics! You got your moneys worth allright. Get a second opinion, and see how much it comes out as. And think how much is it worth to have a reliable car for your girlfriend. I'd nearly suggest that ye put the repair money towards an old corsa or something instead. If you've literally driven it til it stopped I think it might be best to quit while you're ahead, you may fix this problem to run into several more over the next year. Or it could be fine.

When something involves a woman I'd always err on the side of caution - it ain't worth the hassle not to:D

Advertisement