Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Bonds

• 27-04-2006 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

So Barry Bonds hit homer 711 tonight for the Giants Vs the Mets.. just 4 now to catch Babe Ruth.. but he has said that its unlikely he will catch Hank Aaronn...

I actually dont think he will even last the season (knees and now elbows) any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He's some legend alright, big Barry! I really hope he stays fit, he carries the Giants on his own when he's on form. They need to know when to rest him and when to use him, and if they can manage that succesfully I think both he and the Giants will have a good season.

Put it this way, I can see the water outside Mays Field rippling a few more times yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭nessymon

Hit homer 713 last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

He's a cheat and a steroid abuser. He will beat Ruth but that's all.
    Like McGuire and Sosa his home runs over the last 10 years or so are driven by drugs, pity MLB are so spineless on their drug policies.

There is an indictment in the post for him for purging himself in the BLACO case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

barry bonds may well indeed beat babe ruthds record just one more run but here in the states hes no hero for what he did, taking preformance emhancing drugs.

The powers that be are not going to have a celebration for him when he indeed breaks the record. Even at the last game where he hit his 713 run a fan caught the ball. The fan tryed to get barry bonds to autograph the ball after the game. Bonds told him where to go. It was all over the news and just goes to show what kind of a scumbag bonds really is. Baseball players wouldnt be anyone without the fans.

Well done to Russ Spring from the Astros for hitting Bondas last night, (He got a standing ovation for it).
    Noone in the Giants dugout charged the mound as is usually the case when a teammate is hit, just proves how hated Bonds is.
    Still stuck on 713.
    Here is a report on it
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Av3S9hon5cQew52TeeHub.8RvLYF?gid=260516118

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

He hit 714 yesterday:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060501&content_id=1427974&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Means nothing though since he's obviously a juicer.

SAN FRANCISCO -- And now only the Hammer remains.

Barry Bonds' long journey toward Major League Baseball's all-time home run mark became a race against one man Sunday as he sailed past Babe Ruth into second on the all-time list with the 715th of his 21-year career.

Bonds, 41 years old, is now 40 behind the righty-swinging Hank Aaron, the Hall of Famer, who is the all-time leader with 755.

The homer was Bonds' seventh of the season, making him the top left-handed home run hitter in MLB history. Bonds passed the Babe with a two-run shot to center field in the fourth inning off Colorado right-hander Byung-Hyun Kim. The milestone homer, coming on a full-count pitch, landed halfway up the bleachers, well to the right of the 399-foot sign and was fumbled into the batting eye. The ball was retrieved by Andrew Morbitzer, a 38-year-old fan from San Francisco.

It was Bonds' first homer off Kim, who became the 421st pitcher to allow at least one of Bonds' homers. Including a first-inning walk, Bonds was 0-for-9 against Kim with six walks going into the historic at-bat.

Though the Giants were trailing Colorado, 6-0, at the time, the home run caused a euphoric reaction among the sellout crowd of 42,935 in the six-year-old park where Bonds has hit most of his milestone homers. The cheering began almost the minute the ball left his black bat and rose to a crescendo as it landed in the stands. Bonds reached home plate, where he was met by a wall of teammates, getting a bear hug from reserve catcher Todd Greene, who trotted in from the bullpen.

Bonds took two curtain calls, doffing his helmet both times before the game resumed. As he strode into left field to another ovation, a sign commemorating the feat was unveiled on the outfield fence.

Bonds hit No. 714 on May 20 against Oakland left-hander Brad Halsey, a towering drive into the right-field bleachers at McAfee Coliseum. Before that point, he had gone nine starts and 40 plate appearances between home runs. Bonds hit No. 713 on May 7 in his next-to-last at-bat in Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park.

He had gone 4-for-29 with 10 walks and a hit-by-pitch before hitting No. 714 off Halsey to lead off the second inning on a 1-1 pitch.

No. 715 came in his 25th plate appearance after the homer against Halsey. Since then, he had been 5-for-18 (all of them singles) with seven walks (four intentional).

Bonds hadn't hit a homer in San Francisco since May 2 when he smacked No. 712 against Padres reliever Scott Linebrink. Still, four of his seven homers have been hit this season in the ballpark on McCovey Cove, where he hit homers numbers 500, 600, 660 and 661 (to pass Willie Mays into third on the all-time list), 71-73 in 2001 to break Mark McGwire's three-year-old single-season record, and now his Ruth-passing 715.

It was his second of the year against Colorado, No. 709 coming at Coors Field in the first inning on April 22.

Ruth hit No. 714, the last homer of his illustrious career, on May 25, 1935, as a member of the Boston Braves. The homer, coming at Pittsburgh's old Forbes Field, was his last of a three-homer, six-RBI outburst that day. He played his last game five days later.

Aaron, who came up with the Braves and moved with them from Milwaukee to Atlanta, passed Ruth nearly 39 years later -- on April 8, 1974, at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium during the home opener, a 7-4 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers. No. 715 was whacked four days after Aaron knotted Ruth on Opening Day of that baseball season at Cincinnati's old Riverfront Stadium.

Bonds, whose Ruth-passing homer came a little more than 32 years after Aaron's, continues to play on a gimpy right knee. Bonds has said all season that his thrice surgically repaired right knee is sore, a condition that has become chronic since he had surgery three times on the knee last year, the first two to remove and repair torn meniscus and the last to flush out a serious bacterial infection that threatened the very existence of his leg.

Ruth's career ended after he twisted his knee during a game against the Phillies at Philadelphia's Shibe Park on May 30, 1935.

Bonds hit homer No. 700 against San Diego Padres right-hander Jake Peavy on Sept. 17, 2004, at AT&T Park, the ballpark nestled on China Basin. It has been an odyssey, but it has taken Bonds nearly 19 months to pass the Great Bambino.

The knee surgeries kept him out of all except 14 games last season and limited him to five home runs, the low figures in both categories of his career.

Bonds has hit 539 of his homers for the Giants, second on their all-time list behind his godfather, Willie Mays, who hit 646 of his 660 with the New York/San Francisco franchise. Bonds, who hit 175 homers for the Pirates, actually is the all-time leader since the Giants moved from New York to San Francisco in 1957. Willie McCovey is second at 469, with Mays third at 459.

Bonds passed Mays into third on MLB's all-time list a little more than two years ago when he hit No. 661 on April 13, 2004, at AT&T Park.

Aaron will remain the record holder for most homers with a single club. He hit 733 of his 755 homers for the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves and the other 22 during his last two seasons as the designated hitter for the Milwaukee Brewers when they were still in the American League.

Ruth hit 659 of his 714 homers for the New York Yankees, 49 for the Boston Red Sox and six for the Braves.

I just feel sad for the folks who are so blind as to give this guy a standing ovation, or even a split seconds support for his ‘achievements.’
    Oh well, it will all come out in time, I’ll wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I just feel sad for the folks who are so blind as to give this guy a standing ovation, or even a split seconds support for his ‘achievements.’
    Oh well, it will all come out in time, I’ll wait.
    Amen to that:mad:

Carrickman wrote:
    Amen to that:mad:

Very little reaction from the Giants fans here, wheer are ye, embarresend ?

MRJoeSoap you are a Giants fan (and posted the report) what do you think ?

• Advertisement

I'm only a Giants fan cos I spent a month in America and SF was my favourite of all the cities I was in, so I picked them hoping to go back in the future. Haven't a massively active interest in them, just a fan of the game itself really. Have only been to two games in my life, one an AAA game (I think?) in Calgary and the other a lunchtime game in Yankee Stadium.

Haven't been following baseball for a long time so it would be stupid to comment on Bonds' past. Still, 421 pitchers have felt a Bonds homer fly over them, there must be something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

steroids or not, i didnt see asyringe holding that bat and swigning, credit where credit is due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

steroids or not, i didnt see asyringe holding that bat and swigning, credit where credit is due

There are lots of guys who hit 40 homers and fly out to the warning track another 40 times. The steroids help Bonds get most of them over the wall!

Anyway, I'll be cheering for Pujols to break the 73 homers and the lifetime record, without the drugs then Bonds will fall into insignificance where he belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭nessymon

steroids or not i dont think drugs effect how well you can see the ball to hit it..

I'm a giants fan like MrJoeSoap pretty much for the same reasons... and nothing to be embarrassed about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

zuutroy wrote:
    There are lots of guys who hit 40 homers and fly out to the warning track another 40 times. The steroids help Bonds get most of them over the wall!

Anyway, I'll be cheering for Pujols to break the 73 homers and the lifetime record, without the drugs then Bonds will fall into insignificance where he belongs.

Possibly little chance of Pujols doing it this season. Hes been ruled out for three weeks through injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I wish he stops the Mets need to keep winning to stay on top.

Advertisement