Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Offer the England Job to Scolari

• 27-04-2006 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

From the BBC:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4949118.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Luiz Felipe Scolari has been offered the job of England manager and is discussing terms with the Football Assocation, the BBC has been told.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick is in Lisbon to thrash out a deal with the Portugal manager who is Brazilian.

Scolari, 57, who guided Brazil to victory in the 2002 World Cup, is out of contract after the 2006 finals.

If he accepts the post, he will take over from Sven-Goran Eriksson after this summer's tournament in Germany.

Scolari is thought to have a gentleman's agreement with the Portuguese FA not to commit himself to another job until his current deal runs out in July.

It is understood part of the FA's talks in Lisbon are about waiving this arrangement.

The FA board are due to meet again next Thursday and had hoped to be in a position to finalise their selection by then.

Scolari's case has been championed at the highest level within the FA by Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

News that he has been offered the England job will come as a blow to fans who favour a British appointment.

The FA has also held talks with Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren, Bolton's Sam Allardyce, Charlton manager Alan Curbishley and former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill.

Last week the FA claimed it had completed its interview process, and McClaren - part of Eriksson's current England coaching team - was seen as favourite.

But Barwick's trip to Portugal seems to support claims that the FA board were unable to reach a decision.

Agreeing personal terms with Scolari should not be an issue as he is believed to earn less than the estimated £3m that the FA is expected to offer.

But the FA's approach raises the prospect of him facing England in Germany this summer as manager-elect, possibly in the quarter-finals.

He has helped to knock England out of their past two major tournaments - with Brazil in the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals, and with Portugal at the same stage in Euro 2004.

Scolari is a double winner of the Libertadores - the South American championship - and took hosts Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, where they lost to Greece.

Looks like it {semi}-official. ANybody surprised, given the events of the last couple of weeks? Is it the correct appointment for the English? What about the timing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

:eek: :eek: :eek: any truth in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

county wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: any truth in this?
    I don't think that there is anything official by the EFA, but I would be surprised beyond belief, if the BBC had not gotten some leak from the EFA, and decided to publish. The link is in my original post.

just checked sky sports and it is there main page,i hope this is true,a top coach for a top job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's a good coach, and will do a good job I think.

Fair play to the FA, a great choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Fantastic choice if they can get him.

Does he speak English though ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This is a disaterous appointment if its true. this may actually mean sucess for England!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pity they could'nt have shifted Sven out before the WC, they woul dhave a decent chance with a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good appointment in my opinion for the English-he is a decent manager. And I suppose the FA are thinking-teams managed by him have knocked us out of the last two major competitions so he must be half decent.
    But surely there could be problems if Portugal meet England at any stage in this world cup seeing as he will be manager of Portugal for it.
    Not exactly a good position to be in.
    As someone had pointed out above, I think that if they had a better manager than Sven they would have a better chance in the WC this year. I wonder is there any possibility that Sven will get the boot and the new man will get in straight away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

would be madness to bring in a new man now with only six or so weeks to WC.

It's a brave appointment by the FA. Dein obviously got his man. There's going to be a a backlash from all the Little Englanders who wanted a native in charge, even if it was plainly obviously that there was no-one up to the job.

Is it a slight on the english game that have been unable to produce a decent manager? Or is it a testament to the pulling power of the job that they can pick from the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

iregk wrote:
    This is a disaterous appointment if its true. this may actually mean sucess for England!!!
    And this from a Chelsea supporter. Oh the irony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Very good appointment for England. Their odds for Euro 2008 will be slashed now.

but its not a done deal yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very much not.

Big Phil might not be too happy with the way this has been leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

One obstacle is the fact that the FA want to have their new man in place by the time the World Cup starts, and Scolari said he only wants to concentrate on Portugal and wouldn't sign anything until the World Cup is finished.
    He'd be a good choice. Who cares if he isn't English? He has far more pedigree than Mclaren, Pearce, Allardyce and Curbishly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

BaZmO* wrote:
    And this from a Chelsea supporter. Oh the irony!

Sarcasm just doesn't come across well on boards does it?

Whats the odds that if big phil does become England boss Beckham retires from international football within 6 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

seansouth wrote:
    Big Phil might not be too happy with the way this has been leaked.

I'd guess so since he denied that he was in any discussions whatsoever. I think by the FA announcing that they've offered him the job they've given him the one ''sign now or it's off'' option. I don't believe Scolari will like this and he wants to wait unti lafter the Portugal's world cup campaign to sign the contract. I think this new England manager saga has alot more milage left.

Potentially a good appointment anyhow. I don't think he's the best candidate out for the job but he's certainly the best available condidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

He is apparently a Forest fan* so I'm happy for this appointment \o/

*According to the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah I knew I was on the money!

Beckham will retire after the world cup if the deal goes through.

Mike.

I have to laugh at the reaction of the managers and thier assocaition, they are totally out of touch. Any true fan of the game and who is also an England fan would want the best man not Mike Basset. Scolari came second in a BBC web poll after Hiddink, the locals were well adrift of the top two.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh if he had a decent striker with portgual it could be 2 WCs wins. Good hoice for the job wouldnt be to worried about how he feels on the leak, not like he can read english :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Have a bet on Portugal to win the World Cup. I bet on them during the qualifying stages. I hope that this doesnt disrupt their preperations for the World Cup. I doubt the Portugese players and public will be too happy with this being leaked so close to the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I have to laugh at those psuedo-racist gangsters claiming that the job should have gone to an Englishman. Who do they think they are kidding? They had a choice of the long-ball merchant Fat Sam (unproven at any level beyond mid-table obscurity), dullness personified Steve McLaren (with his current team barely out of the relegation dogfight), and the totally unproven Stuart Pearce. Were the FA really meant to pick one of them ahead of someone like Scolari?

I don't think anyone realises how much of a favour the FA have done the other candidates by picking Scolari... they've been saved from a Graham Taylor-style riddiculing in the press at some stage in the future.

Having said that, it has led to one of the funnies Football365 mailboxes ever. Hilarious stuff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mr_angry wrote:
    I don't think anyone realises how much of a favour the FA have done the other candidates by picking Scolari... they've been saved from a Graham Taylor-style riddiculing in the press at some stage in the future.
    Was thinking the same myself. Why an Englishman would want to even go near the job is baffling. Anything short of winning a tournament will be seen as failure and they will be crucifed by the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

As a United fan the only way I'd be happy about Big Phil getting the England job would be if the Portugese FA took Querioz. Then we'd have an end to his crap boring style of football that we saw in too many games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Scolari has told them to get lost, due to the media intrusion.

Haha.

Just heard! We'll see....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Hes a gr8 manager, too much sense to take the England poisoned chalice..

If he does, we gotta listen to 4 years of the english press building him up and then calling him a mercenary Johnny Foreigner when they lose one game.. Oh the English tabliods.. so predicatable...

• Advertisement

I reckon this is a ruse to take the heat off Scolari as the Portguese FA are hopping mad. Will we see the English FA suddenly decide to take thier time to sign another manager while in fact just waiting for the WC to finish and then - hey presto its Big Phil England Manager.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Big Sam for the England job! U know it makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Yep looks like the FA let the cat out of the bad and are not frantically trying to get it back in there!!!
    Looks like it'll all blow over till after WC and they'll appoint him then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

cheesedude wrote:

Ha ha, payback time for the English media. I hope Big Sam gets the job now. Just to rub it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I hope he doesnt go at all, will be a wonderful kick in the teeth to the English FA and the English media :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone hear Big Sam's interview after today's game. He didn't tip-toe around the issue at all, he said in no uncertain terms that he would love the England job and he thought he'd be good at it. Refreshing from all the other interviews.

Advertisement