Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four days to "10,000 Days"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Bought me a copy today, incredible artwork, packaging and music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Just got mine is virgin (€19.99)
    The artwork is great, just hope it sounds as good as it looks now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Christ almighty the songs are long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Doctor J wrote:
    Another twat wiped from the gene pool.

No no, you banned him from a forum. You didn't kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

/an aside

Anyone reckon this might chart - NIN/With Teeth did ... be nice to see Tool on up there, make a change from the usual suspects ... might wake the powers that be up and bring Tool back to the Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bought mine this morning. Artwork is fantastic as are the songs which I have been listening to non stop for the past week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

it would be nice to see it in the charts, but they dont even have a video to go with it so no chance of it being on tv. Plus the songs are a bit too heavy/long for all the chart shows on radio. ahh just imagine 11+ mins of tool on the 2fm chart show....it would be great but its not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

i thought the artwork for Lateralus was good - the artwork on 10,000 Days mops the floor with it! great album, tho it took me an extra half hour to listen to it for the first time coz i got so enthralled in the artwork :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

God damn England; I'll have to wait until Monday... stupid HMV, fearful of fines...

I was told of a few independent retailers that probably sold early, but I'd have to travel a bit to get to them.. I think I'll wait the few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

got it today and haven't listened yet... been too tired to focus!

the album's artwork is crazy though. it really should be packed with some sort of crazy uber-drugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Ordered it from play.com last night, can't wait to get it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I picked it up today (for the low, low price of 17.99 I might add). Firstly the packaging is incredible. Tool are the only major label band not content to let the label put a dull, drab jewel case (except for limited editions). Absolutely stunning. The music. Hmmm. So far I've only listened to it twice and it hasn't jolted me like any of their previous albums have. A lot of people say that you need a while to digest Tool and that's true but with both Aenema and Lateralus I immediately was drooling. 10,000 Days hasn't done that to me. A few of the riffs seem kind of tired, it's like Adam Jones is on autopilot sometimes. There are some nice sounds and samples on it, especially the mighty Lustmord doing his thang on one of the tracks.

So in short, it's good but not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Just picked it up. The packaging is amazing, fair play for having the balls to put some creativity into how the music is presented too and not charging thirty quid for the privilege. Musically, just listened to the first two tunes so far. I like it. Tool have never been one of my favourite bands but so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

finally listened to it and the first few tracks (bar vicarious), i didn't really hear any music. at first i thought tool were trying too hard to be meshuggah. after track 4 or 5 it picks up big time and really gets going.

it certainly doesn't have the same punch that lateralus or aenima had, but that's not to say it's a bad album. it'll take a few listens for it to grow on me properly. and it better grow on me, because chances are we'll have to wait another half a decade for another tool record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Good first impression.. Vicarious is definitely a left over from Lateralus I would think.. Same sound. Progresses well. Still haven't given it a critical listen. Its definitely of a good standard. Maynard seems to be assisted a bit by Auto Tune.. Which is a first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Got the album today and i think Its rather nifty, Although some of the songs do sound a bit tired, just like the old tool stuff.But hey if it aint broke then dont fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

picked up my copy yesterday on the way to my mates 21st and I was sittin there drunk staring into the lenses at the pictures. amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Does anyone else have a problem with the lense? I look through them but no matter what angle or distance that I look through it at, the two pictures remain albeit overlapping. Some of my friends have said the same while others say it's okay :(

Just experiment with it and eventually it will click. For a while it feels like you're only looking through one eye but you're actually looking through both. I don't think it's like Magic Eyes where some people just physically able to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so far I love it, i'd agree that it doesn't have the 'oomphg' of aenima or the 'awwwrrrr' of Lateralus, but I think after a few listens more we'll all be able to pick our own silly words to fit this album.

• Advertisement

It's growing on me steadily. Needed a decent stereo and not a dvd player hooked up to a telly to do it justice. Who knew? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

John2 wrote:
    It's growing on me steadily. Needed a decent stereo and not a dvd player hooked up to a telly to do it justice. Who knew? :rolleyes:
    Good stuff, I'm in love with it now.
    Particularily the wings songs, right in two and I have a very odd love of the pot. :)

Yeah the Wings tracks are my favourites, very powerful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

John2 wrote:
    Yeah the Wings tracks are my favourites, very powerful stuff.
    lo lthe wings tracks. makes it sound like tool have been covering paul mccartney or something.
    But yeah i think itts a good album so far, its tool doing something a bit different. Lateralus was, in my mind, tools ONLY 5 star album. Not one bad song on it, whereas i thought anema was totally dragged down by the 'joke' songs on it, and there were maybe 4 absolute quality songs on it interspersed with some filler, ditto for undertow.
    So far 10,000 days seems like its a slow burner, something you gotta keep coming back to til youve heard all the best bits, rather than lateralus with ever song being standout. I guess youd say the album is just 'subtler'. I f*cking love vicarious tho

lo lthe wings tracks. makes it sound like tool have been covering paul mccartney or something.

Haha! I hadn't noticed that, now I hate the songs by association! (not really)

Sajan wrote:
    Good first impression.. Vicarious is definitely a left over from Lateralus I would think.. Same sound. Progresses well. Still haven't given it a critical listen. Its definitely of a good standard. Maynard seems to be assisted a bit by Auto Tune.. Which is a first.
    where abouts on the album did you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm really liking this album. It didn't jump up and grab me initially in some places but like most of Tools albums its the songs that you tend not to play over and over again when you first listen to it that are the ones with most depth and shelf life.

Obviously songs like The Pot and Vicarious make an immediate impact but both the 'Wings' songs and Right in Two are excellent IMO.

Not bad artwork either!!

All I need now is for them to confirm an Irish date on their tour. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I like it. The songs haven't jumped out at me like they did with Lateralus and Aenima did but they seem to be growing on me more and more with each listen. Also the packaging/artwork is great. If only other bands put as much effort in as Tool do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Arucard wrote:
    where abouts on the album did you hear that?
    Perhaps he refers to "The Pot" ...

• Advertisement

if he DID, its most likely it was on The Pot. dunno tho, tho he may well have been assisted in getting so high. i dont mind, i dont care!

speaking of that song, which i LOVE, i love the effect on MJKs voice on the part beginning with "Foot in/and mouth" - you can hear it clearly on "'bout"

EDIT:
    *snip*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement