Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four days to "10,000 Days"

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing to see here. *whistles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I think its a superb album. I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it. Well impressed.

to be honest im incredibly disapointed by the album..........
    even the best songs jambi and right in two arent near as good as anything on anima or lateralus.
    Vicarious is like a left-over from Lateralus, and i think its fair to say that the wings songs are too long at 17min, they could easily cut 4 or 5 minutes off.

In general the guitars and drums are nothing exceptional in comparison to other albums, as someone already said it sounds like adam jones is on auto pilot.
    There also seems to be no progression with this album, if anything a regression.
    At times, i think it even lapses into just standard Toolisms, like Vicarious and the Pot, nothing exceptional about either, apart from maybe the vocals at the start of the Pot.

Also, the lack of "songs", i count 6, less than previous albums
    all in all, i expected more, have Tool run out of steam?? or does Maynard have too much on his plate with A Perfect Circle and Tapeworm??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

does Maynard have too much on his plate with A Perfect Circle and Tapeworm??

Well given that Tapeworm are defunct and APC is on a hiatus for the forseeable future, I doubt it.

Maybe it's his vinyard that's distracting him (he did say in the Revolver interview that he wasn't there for the first while of the album development because of it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

this is what happens when bands get popular. they have x amount of fans, where x is a really big number, and they're going to write what they're going to write. after a while they will change their formula a little bit, and its just inevitable that a certain fraction of x wont like the direction they're going in.

i also think a lot of people were hoping for an Aenima or Lateralus part II, for which i think the phrase "wishful thinking" can be applied as an understatement. personally, i love 10,000 Days, its a fantastic album. even more progressive i think than previous outings, which maybe is why some people havent been able to get into it the way i and others have.

"Strapped down
    In my bed
    Feet cold
    n Eyes red
    I'm out
    Of My head
    Am I alive?
    Am I dead?
    Cant remember what they said
    Goddamn
    I **** the bed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Arucard wrote:
    even more progressive i think than previous outings, which maybe is why some people havent been able to get into it the way i and others have.

i think people forget that tool is a progressive band. by their very nature they wont stick themselves into one type of sound or style. rather, they'll shake it up. you want something spiritual? go listen to lateralus. want something angry? aenima!

thank god they're not repeating themselves. they've an album for every mood...

On my first few listens it seemed like a really fragmented album; lateralus seemed to progress from song to song really well, but this one didn't; of course I knew deep down that tool albums don't always make sense at first, and at this point I think it's a superb album; where before I thought it seemed similar to Lateralus I now think of it as an individual album, as it is.

There are tracks I skip (like Lost Keys), but that's a fact of every tool album, and even the skippable tracks aren't as irritating as previous ones; I could leave 10,000 days running from start to finish and it sounds good, while with Aenima I needed to skip the likes of Cesaro Summability and (-) Ions because they were too annoying.

It's a great album; Vicarious is great, Wings are great tracks (although I've played them constantly for the last week) and Rosetta Stoned and Jambi are great... right in two is good, still getting into it though..

i think people forget that tool is a progressive band. by their very nature they wont stick themselves into one type of sound or style. rather, they'll shake it up. you want something spiritual? go listen to lateralus. want something angry? aenima!

Well said... next up, synth sci-fi opera!!!

I wonder what you could categorise this album as though; it's angry enough, has hints of religion/spiritiuality... in the revolver article they seemed to say it stems from a lot of frustration, at the political situation as well as the fact that their past attempts at enlightening people did very little... I suppose there is a lot of frustration and confusion in the album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

flogen wrote:
    Well said... next up, synth sci-fi opera!!!
    Wooo hooo Tool do War of the Worlds ....

Poor aliens wouldn't have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

actually im listening to TOOL on itunes here at the moment it went from Viginti Tres to Stinkfist, sounded really cool......

But yeah Im liking 10000 days its sort of a combination of everything theyve done up to now and then some...if you follow me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My only problem with 10,000 Days is that it's too similar to the last albums. I expected some more of a progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

I cant believe someone said it sounds like a regression. I mean, have you actually heard any other tool albums?? 10,000 days is noticably going in a different direction than anything else theyve done, some of the album is almost ambient, how it could be seen a regression is beyond me.
    It is a great album but you really need to listen to it a few times, it doesnt grab you at first like lateralus, but any good album should require repeated listening, its the ones you get into easily that you get sick of just as easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

I am really enjoying listening to 10,000 Days and I know that even some of the current 'lukewarmish' tracks will grow on me.

Stand-out tracks so far include: 'Wings I & II', 'Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned' and 'Right In Two'. The artwork is also fantastic.

What a fab band...[apart from not visiting these shores this summer!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Jambi for best Tool song!!!
    It is a real grower of an album. I really really love it. I can not stop listening to it since I got it. It makes everything else on my ipod sound crap.
    Jambi is so broad and does so much in one song, man I love it!!!

I cant believe someone said it sounds like a regression. I mean, have you actually heard any other tool albums?? 10,000 days is noticably going in a different direction than anything else theyve done, some of the album is almost ambient, how it could be seen a regression is beyond me.
    It is a great album but you really need to listen to it a few times, it doesnt grab you at first like lateralus, but any good album should require repeated listening, its the ones you get into easily that you get sick of just as easily

indeed. if lateralus was a spiral inwards then 10,000 days is a tangent outwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

indeed. if lateralus was a spiral inwards then 10,000 days is a tangent outwards
    What a brilliant way to describe it. Spot on projectmayhem *thumbs up*.

Edit: Actually, on looking at the 3D artwork in the case, two of the pieces (for lack of a better word) feature the figure from the human/chakra diagram in the Lateralus artwork with an entity (in one case on fire) spiralling outward from the figure. Granted a bit literal for Tool, but I thought it was interesting...

flogen wrote:
    There are tracks I skip (like Lost Keys)...
    you say that Rosetta Stoned is one of your favourite songs, yet you skip what is, for everything bar track listing, the first part of the song? tut tut tut. thats like listening to Lateralus, getting as far as Schism and skipping Parabol, coz you just really wanna hear Parabola : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Without getting into a pissing contest, I've been listening to Tool for a long, long time. I'm very familiar with all of their albums which is why I was disappointed with 10,000 Days (at first might I add). "Vicarious" still sounds like an out take from Lateralus. As for it being a different direction because some of it is "almost ambient", I don't see that. There's a recycling of ideas on this album, some of them work out great, some of them don't. The "experimental" tracks aren't as interesting as the ones on previous albums (would you not call "(-) Ions" or "Mantra" ambient too?). You could see Tool leaping from Undertow to Aenema to Lateralus but they've only nudged forward a little bit since Lateralus. Even the Salival material (which is all out takes and unreleased material) is more progressive than a chunk of 10,000 Days. Same with the Lustmord remixes of "Schism" and "Parabol/Parabola" on the DVD singles.

also, i assume im not the only one who doesnt take Lost Keys as one of Tools, as John put it, "experimental" tracks. yes? no? to me its part of Rosetta Stoned.

Arucard wrote:
    you say that Rosetta Stoned is one of your favourite songs, yet you skip what is, for everything bar track listing, the first part of the song? tut tut tut. thats like listening to Lateralus, getting as far as Schism and skipping Parabol, coz you just really wanna hear Parabola : /

That's completely different; Wings for Marie/10,000 days are comparable to Parabol/Parabola, but Lost Keys isn't really a song... sure it's an intro, and I don't always skip it (I tend to when I'm listening to it on the move for whatever reason), but I think it's more like skipping Intermission to get to Jimmy; I like Intermission, but more often than not I'd prefer to get straight to the actual song rather than listen to the build up that, in my opinion, adds little to the track as a whole.

• Advertisement

He sure does...what a fantastic drummer - one of the best around currently. He shines in the new album too but methinks Lateralus was HIS album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

ok, i got this album yesterday, very first tool album i ever heard, and i love it!
    what have i been missing out on all this time?

ok, i got this album yesterday, very first tool album i ever heard, and i love it!
    what have i been missing out on all this time?

Not much The Free Man...just a few of the best alternative rock albums released over the last 13 years or so.

Fans of Tool beg to differ as to what album is their best but if you want my recommendation [for what it is worth], check out 2001's 'Lateralus' next - listening to it is a moving experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

cheers, ill give it a look today!

cheers, ill give it a look today!

Careful now, I hate to discourage anyone from discovering tool, but try to let each album sit with you before you overload yourself.... I find each album at its release tends to get my undivided attention for a while, then I can consider something else.

Yes flogen is quite right ... and I recommend cronological order.

Opiate->Undertow->Aenima->(Salival - if you can get it)->Lateralus->10000 days

I think you can really see the band develop and change.

Y(Salival - if you can get it)

speaking of, is there anywhere to get this (first person to say ebay gets a kick in the nuts!)? i have it, but lets just say it's not entirely legit ;)

Amazon have some second hand but around $132 a pop ...

Play.com have it listed for re-release April 16th this however has not been confirmed by anyone in the Tool camp.

If it is released - it is well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Skip undertow if youre going through tools back catalogue tbh, its only got a handful of good songs on it if you ask me, namely the singles, and intolerance. Aside from those ive never thought much of that album

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement