Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four days to "10,000 Days"

Comments

Im a massive tool fan myself, but the obsessive nature of certain fans is sad and at times even worrying.
    The worship of maynard as some kind of zarathustra figure, here to enlighten the simple minded is, i think incredibly unrepresentive of the band and of the man himself.
    Also, the belief of a consistent progresive message throughout Tools career is badly interperated, if anything there are radically different themes to the different tool albums...................at the same time, made for "interesting" reading for a few minutes

just my 2 cents anyways......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

it can be fun to read into Tool songs, find meaning in MJKs lyrics, which arent always the clearest, but i agree with josco. MJK is only human, he's flawed, just like everyone else. yes, he's an amazing vocalist & lyricist, and he's obviously quite a smart guy, and he does put forward a "think for yourselves" message, but unfortunately a lot of people seem to twist that into "think like Maynard".
    he was not born to bear and read us all the details of our ending, to write it down for all the world to see.
    also, i dont think he forgot his pen, and i certainly hope he didnt **** the bed again. typical....

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

As someone on the Tool forums once, wisely, joked:

Tool: "Think for yourself"
    Fan: "Sure!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ignoring the use of other tool songs in Rosetta Stoned (which seem to hint at some overall meaning) I think it's a slag off aimed at their fans who listen to tool lyrics and then use it as a justification for things like drug use (not to say that tool are antidrugs, but they've made it clear that they think it's a shallow way to expand your mind; where as some fans say "getting high and listening to Lateralus is amazing!!" kind of stuff, and in the mean time they miss the point). So basically it's joking that these people, if they were given a message to save humanity, wouldn't be capable of carrying it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

W00t just picked up the album.(and another album and oblivion \o/) Mmm lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

flogen wrote:
    Ignoring the use of other tool songs in Rosetta Stoned (which seem to hint at some overall meaning) I think it's a slag off aimed at their fans who listen to tool lyrics and then use it as a justification for things like drug use (not to say that tool are antidrugs, but they've made it clear that they think it's a shallow way to expand your mind

Well, I read a quote from Maynard (apparently) which said that psychadelics are a large part of what they do, but a lot of it is about using the drug to "reach" a place and then trying to get back to that place again without the use of the drug.
    I would agree with you, in that it could be a tongue in cheek poke at the fans who are like that (god knows there are many of them). A new twist on the "token angry Tool song", perhaps :)

I like it, although it has not grown on me at the rate that I has expected it to.

Anyone know when the lyrics are going to be released by the band? I know there are already unofficial versions up.

I like it, although it has not grown on me at the rate that I has expected it to.

Anyone know when the lyrics are going to be released by the band? I know there are already unofficial versions up.

I think it's usually a month or two before they band publish the lyrics on the site; even then they often omit lines and words for whatever reason, which is wierd.
    I always assume it's something similar to why Pearl Jam have never officially reproduced the lyrics for Release, too personal or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Lost keys/Rosetta Stoned: This track has become for me the pivotal track(s) on the album.

'When Maynard sings the verse:

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
    Such a heavy burden now to be ''the One''
    Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
    To write it down for all the world to see.
    But I forgot my pen
    **** the bed again ...
    Typical'.

It is just awe inspiring...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Although i do not read much into these long winded conspiracy theory things i do believe there is more than just hidden messages on this album....
    A friend of mine told me to line up these two tracks on a playlist..
    Viginti Trees time 5.02
    Wings for Marie time 6.11

At the same time play 10,000 days time 11.13
    (maybe on another media player app)
    The times on these songs match and the results are fairly cool!!!
    Listen right to the end,
    What do ye think???

• Advertisement

^ thats one of the more plausible ones, Viginti Tres would be a track that could have been made at any specific length without too much hassle.
    flogen wrote:
    I think it's usually a month or two before they band publish the lyrics on the site
    true, tho with Undertow it took 2 years! and speaking of Undertow, Mo has been joined in the grave by Edsel. he passed away on Sunday morning and made his way to piggy heaven. only Portis left now.

here's something interesting for y'all.
    Viginti Tres - 5:02
    Wings Pt 1 - 6:11

added together they make a single track, 11:13 in length
    Wings Pt 2 - 11:13

i wont claim this theory as my own, but i have made my own mix, out of interest, of Viginti Tres followed by Wings for Marie, synced with 10,000 Days. in parts its a little odd, but in parts its brilliant. i tried another mix to get the vocals at the end to sync, but it doesnt have the same effect.

my mix is currently uploading to yousendit, i shall post a link in a few minutes. note that the point where it REALLY kicks in is at 9:14. surely this is too much to be ANOTHER coincidence, but 9 + 14 = 23 = Viginti Tres.

EDIT: actually, im not sure if posting mixes such as this is allowed or not, so if anyone wants to hear, PM me. i put a bit of time into properly syncing it, because the first mix i heard of it was terribly synced, and sounded awful.

Arucard wrote:
    here's something interesting for y'all.
    Viginti Tres - 5:02
    Wings Pt 1 - 6:11

added together they make a single track, 11:13 in length
    Wings Pt 2 - 11:13

i wont claim this theory as my own, but i have made my own mix, out of interest, of Viginti Tres followed by Wings for Marie, synced with 10,000 Days. in parts its a little odd, but in parts its brilliant. i tried another mix to get the vocals at the end to sync, but it doesnt have the same effect.

my mix is currently uploading to yousendit, i shall post a link in a few minutes. note that the point where it REALLY kicks in is at 9:14. surely this is too much to be ANOTHER coincidence, but 9 + 14 = 23 = Viginti Tres.

EDIT: actually, im not sure if posting mixes such as this is allowed or not, so if anyone wants to hear, PM me. i put a bit of time into properly syncing it, because the first mix i heard of it was terribly synced, and sounded awful.

Ehh... isn't that the same as what i posted earlier?
    Doesn't matter really but ya, the mix of the songs doesn't make much sense until the last few minutes and patches in between. I mean, you could mix Vaginti trees with any oul song and say it was cool! But it is no coincidence surely that the track is that length.

DAMMIT! i got so caught up in the whole thing i forgot that you'd already mentioned it, AND (this makes it worse) i'd responded to your post! :p
    *gratefully accepts Jackass of the Week award* :D

the thing that clinches it for me tho is that they come together at 9:14.
    but anywho, i mixed them down into one mp3, if anyone wants is, PM me. i think it sounds quite good!

*goes away to sync Viginti Tres with 99 Red Balloons ;)*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Arucard wrote:
    surely this is too much to be ANOTHER coincidence, but 9 + 14 = 23 = Viginti Tres.

Oh no! Tool are jumping on the "23 is a magickal number" bandwagon. Think any of them are members of Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth?

doesn't seem to work for me, I mean, from 9 14 on, yeah, it's alright, but if you sync up the guitar burst at that part, the vocals start going out of sync afterwards... I'm sure there's something to the whole thing, but I don't think people have it it just yet.

actually, i think the vocals sound quite cool like that. i've tried syncing it so that the vocals line up, but they wont line up perfectly. for example, if you line it up from "daylight...." the words "dim" are out of sync. plus when you try that, the riffs sound like ****. i think its supposed have that echoed vocal effect at the end. thats just my opinion of course.

Arucard wrote:
    DAMMIT! i got so caught up in the whole thing i forgot that you'd already mentioned it, AND (this makes it worse) i'd responded to your post! :p
    *gratefully accepts Jackass of the Week award* :D
    No bother man, i obviously robbed the theory from somewhere else so i'll share the award with ya.

I wonder is there an alternative track listing like Lateralus?? Would it be the same as the alternative track listing for Lateralus which wasn't really that good if ya think about it!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Well I've been listening to this album all week, I really like it.
    But I think, for me, Undertow will always be better

^theres an odd favourite!
    MunkyHed wrote:
    No bother man, i obviously robbed the theory from somewhere else so i'll share the award with ya.

I wonder is there an alternative track listing like Lateralus?? Would it be the same as the alternative track listing for Lateralus which wasn't really that good if ya think about it!!
    hehe. the thing with the alternative tracklistings for Lateralus, was that to get them to work you had to rip the songs to audio files, and edit & splice them together, didnt work by just programming an alternative tracklist into your CD player. same with 10,000 Days actually, to get it to sync right i recorded em all down - its very hard to get 2 sound sources to start at precisely the same time! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Beruthiel wrote:
    Well I've been listening to this album all week, I really like it.
    But I think, for me, Undertow will always be better
    I agree ... Have been finding it difficult to get into 10,000 Days as quickly as I got into Undertow.

I'll have to listen to all of the albums today I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Undertow, eh. I second:
    ^theres an odd favourite!

There's less eh ... "****" (for want of a better term) on Undertow.

ah, you mean its simpler, less complex. i see...

I feel "****" is a much more succinct way of saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Undertow is a decent album, but it's Tool without a lot of what makes Tool interesting today. It's comparable with a lot of what was going on at roughly the same time it was released, which can't really be said of Lateralus (my favourite Tool album by far) or 10,000 Days...

I'm not arguing with you, but as someone who has been listening to Tool for years I find this new album really rather boring. I haven't been able to listen to it for long periods at all.

AEnima is my personal favourite album, but Lateralus and Opiate aren't without their charms.

I don't like how certain Tool fans feel so personally offended (Not suggesting this is the case with you) when someone offers a criticism, or a reason for their preference for a particular song/album etc. People aren't allowed to interpret, or appreciate the music as they want to.

Music is such a personal thing, I'm sure many people who know me would be surprised to learn I even know who Tool are, let alone own any of their stuff. Its not something I often admit to because Tool are a band that are loathed by so many, yet the "fans" can be so fanatical that they're not able to take a comment/opinion that doesn't tow the party line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

I'm not a rabid Tool fan, and quite frankly I think rabid Tool fans can be very irritating, very conceited and often have far too much time on their hands. I'm just citing my preferences as you were, preferences which are rooted in the enjoyment I get out of the music itself rather than the myriad of whacky over-complicated interpretations that follow Tool wherever they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

People can have opinions now?

Anyways yeah sometimes I feel the "****" as it has been called fits in the context of an album, and sometimes I feel it is spurious ... generally depends on my mood at the time.

Either way there is no getting away from the fact that *some* Tool fans are possibly the exact opposite of what MJK and co are often ranting on about - "think for yourself".

• Advertisement

^reminds me yet again of the aforementioned quote
    Tool: "think for yourselves"
    fans: "ok! :D"
    Amz wrote:
    I don't like how certain Tool fans feel so personally offended (Not suggesting this is the case with you) when someone offers a criticism, or a reason for their preference for a particular song/album etc. People aren't allowed to interpret, or appreciate the music as they want to.
    i dont think thats just a Tool thing, its more any band that people feel a strong bond with, more often than not its the case with more underground bands. i guess it does happen a little more with Tool than a lot of other bands, but thats mostly just because Tool is a band that a lot of people seem to bond very strongly with. let me use myself as exhibit a, i love Tool more than anyone should love a band! :p

but yeah, its more a people thing than a Tool thing, tho Tool seems to be a band that attracts that sensitive type of person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement