Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest

Options
  • 27-04-2006 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Anybody else really excited by this years Riverfest, seems to be loads going on and loads to see. What gigs/events do you think are must see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

heading in to see the fun lovin criminals on sunday night
    doors open at 6.30,
    i heard they are starting at 7pm
    aiming to be over for the fireworks !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Siobhan*

The Frames are on in the Belltable on Monday night......should be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Personally looking forward to the european market and those gorgeous potatoes they sell yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Don't forget the all you can eat Barbeque fest on Saturday down by the Locke Bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Sounds great, if only I wasn't stuck in Dublin cramming for exams :( So wish I could go home now, there's loads of events I want to go to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

highlights probably .... the belltable gig and fireworks and crusis street (curiousity) and new band stage (just cause i know ppl) and river shannon-igans.
    I hate the way 90% of the gigs are in pubs/nightclubs so i cant go??!?! Excluded from Riverfest.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thehungrysloth

----Don't forget the all you can eat Barbeque fest on Saturday down by the Locke Bar!

Sorry to rain on your parade but if this is the same format as last year the only people getting food from the bbq are the judges. I went down with high hopes and an empty belly & all I came home with was 'the rage'.

The Locke Bar had a grumpy c**t (made two of us) selling €5 burgers but they weren't good.

Hope it's better for you though!!

----Don't forget the all you can eat Barbeque fest on Saturday down by the Locke Bar!

Sorry to rain on your parade but if this is the same format as last year the only people getting food from the bbq are the judges. I went down with high hopes and an empty belly & all I came home with was 'the rage'.

The Locke Bar had a grumpy c**t (made two of us) selling €5 burgers but they weren't good.

Hope it's better for you though!!

You can actually try the food yourself this year I'm told. There was a problem last year with the organisers getting the wrong health certificate or something.

"For the third year running this distinctive event has made its mark by embracing the cultural diversity so evident in our Country today. The cook-off will provide an opportunity, for the some 14,000 people that visit the event, to enjoy a variety of food cooked in native styles, while also enjoying the music and traditional costumes each culture has to offer."

(from their website)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was at the European Market already and loving the food, George's Quay (by the Locke) was packed with people enjoying the sunshine, hope the eather holds for the weekend.

yeah i think 1 table is for judges, 1 for the 20,000 ppl that will come to eat food! But food will be on that table, have a good riverfest ppl!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Was at the European Market already and loving the food, George's Quay (by the Locke) was packed with people enjoying the sunshine, hope the eather holds for the weekend.

Good for the Locke - the owner makes his next million this weekend without doing anything fo it (except pouring the pints). Same for the Granary. The traders there will be SO happy.

I hope you enjoyed the European market - it might be the last one! Get next weeks Saturday Limerick Leader! :D

Unfortunately the Milk Market traders wont enjoy it that much. Why? Because they trade to feed their children and themself, they have to pay the fees and the bills. Whereas the European market is invited by the city council and they don't pay anything - not even VAT or tax for their sold goods. I don't want to give wrong informations but i think (under reserve) this company is getting paid by CC to be here.

If you think you see there 50 independent traders - you're wrong: it's an english company run by two guys and they hire some people (french, to make it more "authentic") to sell their stuff... Furthermore this english company is taking away the business from the 400yrs old (and recognized as one of the best markets in this country) Milkmarket at one of the busiest weekends of the year by blocking the road along the granary.

So Limerick people - buy local and support your own people!

Me as a foreigner is doing things... :D

Inge, there is space for both markets, the Euro market allows people get stuff that isn't usually as readily availible.

Inge, there is space for both markets, the Euro market allows people get stuff that isn't usually as readily availible.

the local merchants have according to their experience over the past 2 or 3 years a different point of view ;) It's not generally milk Market vs. European Market. It's more MIlk Market vs. CC (market trustees) because the locals are paying their taxes and fees to the CC and they are working against their own merchants (which pay them).

The locals wouldn't say anything if this European Market would run from Monday to Thursday! :)

So, what you're saying is, the Milk Market traders don't want competition. And that's a GOOD thing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Radioman - it's hardly an even competition if one group of traders have to pay to put their stalls up and if the other group are paid to do it. Whose profits are going to be higher do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Look at the end of the day its a great event for the town and the food oh god the food

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Milk Market and European Markets are on at different times of the day from what I gather. Anyway it is only once a year and the European Market sell entirely different stuff.

Why is this the last european market, OMG.. that thing is brilliant! Everything about Riverfest has been class so far!

I liked the EU market... eightball are paid to organise stuff for people to do, and ppl love the conteniental style market! They also organised for the Milk Market to trade at night on the friday the 'twilight market'! I liked it, but didnt buy anything at either so..... (smelt great though)

Arthurs Quay was very well set up and attended, as was the EU market and River.Feast World BBQ, missed the Crusis St thingy though oh and the new band stage at the boatclub was brilliant, outside for most of it (lying on the river listening to the music).
    I gotta say i everything seemed well run and stuff... uh, i'm down helping out tomorrow at Shannon-igans, wanted to do the bungee jump :(

Why is this the last european market, OMG.. that thing is brilliant! Everything about Riverfest has been class so far!

I liked the EU market... eightball are paid to organise stuff for people to do, and ppl love the conteniental style market! They also organised for the Milk Market to trade at night on the friday the 'twilight market'! I liked it, but didnt buy anything at either so..... (smelt great though)

Arthurs Quay was very well set up and attended, as was the EU market and River.Feast World BBQ, missed the Crusis St thingy though oh and the new band stage at the boatclub was brilliant, outside for most of it (lying on the river listening to the music).
    I gotta say i everything seemed well run and stuff... uh, i'm down helping out tomorrow at Shannon-igans, wanted to do the bungee jump :(

The Euro market was mobbed again today. 20,000 people like it obviously so if a few odd market traders have sour grapes let them off. People power!

And as for the BBQ, it was yummmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Got to the stunt bikes in Arthurs Quay Park and it was really good. My son thought it was brilliant. It's great that the weather has been so good so far. The atmosphere in the park was really good with people sitting out in the sun watching the bikes. There were so many languages being spoken you'd nearly forget you were in Ireland!
    I was looking the the Irish Times to see if Riverfest was mentioned in "Things to do this weekend" and it wasn't. That's a bit annoying especially since people are being so positive about it.

• Advertisement

you can think about the RiverFest what you want but the firework was really really great!
    IB

Inge Binge wrote:
    you can think about the RiverFest what you want but the firework was really really great!
    IB

So do we all give a big thumbs up to Eightball for organizing this years weekend??

:D

Just back form David Holmes, top class, one of the gigs of the year. Fari play eightball, I've had a great Riverfest.

Yeah, everything was planned as well as it could be! Sunday was a bit of a disaster with the weather putting on hold (or cancelling) parts of River Shannon-igans!
    Its a shame that after hours of putting together the new course for the BMXers down by the riverfront for the sunday that they got very little use out of it, but i heard what they did do looked class... they have mud piles and everything!

For everyone I know that actually got into the festival and took part in as much as they could it was a massive success, it really was fun!

Sunday surprised me, once shannon-igans was put on hold i thought 'awww... so many people will leave now' but then global beats just started up at clohesseys and people were staying by the riverfront!

Saturday was unreal, one of the best days ever!!!

I loved it, for people that were in on Sunday, i dont know if you noticed, but it was mainly just tourists (until the fireworks)! It was so weird, Saturday had many european tourists too, but it wasnt such a big deal.. but hearing fimiliar languages all around the city is new (german, french, spanish).. looks like there advertising campaign went well internationally!

I thought the firework display was kinda short, but man what a finish!!!
    I thought they wouldnt be up to standard because for the first time there was better things happening and many other events, but they were and other then being a little late (it all depended on the light) they went down well! And the insane kayakers going from the ramp into the shannon kept people laughing before the fireworks, haha.. it was great actually, i was talking to this american guy he asked what was going in... his response was hilarious!

Volunteering was actually great, i only did it on the Sunday (Saturday was so great!) but you really get to help people and its so nice when people are having fun and just talking with anyone and everyone! I loved giving tourist information, I just have this great pride informing people how great the city is!

Another brilliant thing about Riverfest was the lack of 'non socialables'! They usually seem to put themselves out to ruin anything that gives this city a good image, but they were busy burning things! Although they did manage to distroy a really nice parkland area were all buses coming into the city pass, but other then that it was grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did anyone go to the barbeque competition?

I wasn't in the city at the weekend but caught a bit of it on RTE. From what was on the news it looked to be a great success too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

they stuff about riverfest on rte?

i didnt see that?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

me neither! what did they say? did they have any good shots of the city?

RTE had a short report on the Six-One News yesterday on the barbeque

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2136449.smil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I did not see much happening on the river itself but was only about
    for a while both days.

Missed the BBQ on Sunday if there was one.

I would have loved to have done a bungee jump but when I was in town
    there was no sign of them getting the gear set up. Dunno how much it cost
    to do one but I reckon it would have been 30-50 Euro. I remember back in the
    days of the Pound when they were doing jumps at the racecourse
    they were looking for 25-30 Irish Pounds. Did not have time to hang around
    until they got everything set up though.

Some of thee peeps with the BMX's were good.

~B

Advertisement