Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax Break

Options
  • 27-04-2006 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I might be leaving the country for about 2 months in July, my current tax expires in the end of June so if I don't want to renew it before I go away, how do I go about declaring it not in use so I don't have to pay for the 2 months anyway when I come back?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Simple, get tax form signed and stamped at a Garda station.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Make sure the car is not parked on a public road though (even on the road outside your house).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's an estate, is that ok?

Nope, still a public place. Just park it on the driveway off the road.

Haha, will that be ok then? 3 metres makes all the difference huh? It's an open driveway, no gates or anything, still ok?

What tax form do I have to bring to the Garda? And what do I do with it once they stamp it? Is it the one they send out the renewal notice for? I think I'm forgetting something here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Statutory off road notification I think is what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    I might be leaving the country for about 2 months in July, my current tax expires in the end of June so if I don't want to renew it before I go away, how do I go about declaring it not in use so I don't have to pay for the 2 months anyway when I come back?

Any feedback appreciated:)

You do the declaration when you come back, ie at the start of September. You don't have to actually prove that the car was off the road, so the only danger of leaving it untaxed in your estate is of a Guard or warden giving you a ticket while you're away. The declaration itself is a formality - you fill out the form, the Guard signs it, you post it off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Squirrel wrote:
    Statutory off road notification I think is what you need
    We don't have that here yet, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Robbo wrote:
    We don't have that here yet, do we?

I wasn't sure, but it's something like that, I think I recall things about it on the classics forum where this happens once in a while

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

SORN's only a UK think afaik. Over here it's all about looking innocent as you give the Garda the form to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:
    Haha, will that be ok then? 3 metres makes all the difference huh? It's an open driveway, no gates or anything, still ok?
    Its a big difference - one is private property, something that is becomming more and more expensive!

Ok thanks for the replies. So is that SOR thingy available to do here?

So I go down to the Garda station after I come back with which tax form exactly? And then what do I do say if I want to renew it online? Or do I have to go to the tax office to renew it so they can see the stamped form?

You can't renew onlone if you are declaring non use. You can only tax online if the tax is expired by less than 3 months and you are paying the back tax. Otherwise you must go to the tax office with the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

cormie wrote:
    Ok thanks for the replies. So is that SOR thingy available to do here?

So I go down to the Garda station after I come back with which tax form exactly? And then what do I do say if I want to renew it online? Or do I have to go to the tax office to renew it so they can see the stamped form?

There is only 1 kind of tax form. Well, 2 really: One is the printed reminder that comes in the post. The other is a manually completed form that covers stuff the printed one doesn't (like paying arrears or getting the Guards to stamp it.)

Just get the Guards to stamp the bottom of the manual one and bring it to the tax office.

You'll only get charged for the length of time you want to tax it for. I'd advie asking the tax office what dates should be filled in on the form before getting it stamped though: If you make a balls of it, you can't just scribble out the dates and write in new ones. You'll have to get a completely new form stamped.

Tommy.

thanks, and I do all this when I come back? Before then, I just let my current tax expire at the end of June and do nothing, ignore the renewal form etc until I come back 2 months later?

Yes. When you come back, you will have the options of taxing online and paying the back tax or completing the declaration of non use and avoiding the back tax.

grand thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

If arrears are due to be paid, you CANNOT tax your vehicle online.

When you come back in september, have your final reminder form stamped by the guards, the months for non use will be july and august, so on the form, you and the guard will state that the car was off the road from the first day of july til the last day of august, your tax will then start from the first of september.

You must wait until september to tax the car. A vehicle cannot be stamped off the road if you are still in the time period that you are declaring non use.

i.e you cannot declare a vehicle off the road for may until may has expired. it's physically not possible, the computer in the MTO will not understand it.

thanks for that:)

Adey2002 wrote:
    If arrears are due to be paid, you CANNOT tax your vehicle online.

You can provided the arrears are less than 3 months. I have paid a months arrears online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

cormie wrote:
    It's an estate, is that ok?

It depends. The road in your private housing estate is likely the responsibility of the local authority, however it is possible that is has not yet been taken over by them and still belongs to the builder/households or some other vague private parties. (too lazy to research details)

so put it in your private driveway

Advertisement