Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem assembling new gamin pc

Options
  • 27-04-2006 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi there,
    im having problems getting my new pc to work. here is list of components from komplett

Items:

1 PCS 309484 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    1MB, BOXED w/fan

1 PCS 309274 Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB
    IDE ATA/133 16MB 7200RPM
    1 PCS 310473 BenQ 17" LCD FP71V+ DVI Monitor,
    Black/Silver, 5ms GTG
    1 PCS 307784 MSI K8N NEO4-F, nForce4, Socket-939, ATX
    Raid, Sound, 4xSATA, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16
    1 PCS 314090 NEC DVD±RW burner, ND-3550A, 16x,
    Dual, Black OEM
    1 PCS 316019 OCZ Gold XTC PC3200 DDR DIMM 1024MB,
    400MHz, 2,8V, CL 2-3-3-8
    1 PCS 318801 Point of View GeForce 7900GT 256MB,
    GDDR3, PCI-Express, DVI/Tv-Out, Retail

also got 400 wt power supply

was able to assemble no problem, definately all connections are ok, checked by me and other friend.

Problem is when i switch on the it stays frozen on the screen when i can select the bios by pressing <del>.
    its just not even attemping to boot. no error messages etc.
    cant get into bios at all. nothing happening.tried various keyboards a usb one and also pin connection.
    as well as that the 4 usb slots on back - only power seems to be in two as no light comes on in keyboard in other 2. probably not an issue mayb just need to install drivers 4 them
    put friends grahics card in and harddrive with windows installed, but still the same.
    it seems to me that it could be a ropey mother board but not sure.
    got a troubleshooter guide from MSI site so will try some of their suggestions this evening

does this problem sound familiar to anyone??
    would be very gratefull 4 any ideas
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The lights on the back are a warning indicator telling you what stage of the boot process it fails at, in your case it seems to be failing at the stage where it decompresses the bios into RAM.

I would direct you to MSI's forums that have a checklist of items to run through to isolate the problem.

In particular I would try resetting the CMOS as in the above link and also if you can borrow RAM from a friend and install it and see what happens.

If the problem still persists perhaps even borrow a CPU just in case it is a bios support issue with MSI though that shouldn't be the case but you never know.

Finally pull everything apart, take all the stuff out of the case and connect it up again outside a case and see if it posts and boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Might I suggest disconnecting all the unessential parts and just leaving the bare system and starting from there. Once you get it up and running, start adding in all the sound cards etc. Basic system - Motherboard, PSU, CPU, minimum RAM, Monitor, keyboard and possibly hard-drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tmcpartland

hi there,

thanks a milion for the advice, got it working. it was actually a grounding issue. it was due to the motherboard riser screws in the case. i had some rises in place that didnt match the holes in motherboard so no screws were in these ones causeing no boot or post.

disconnected everything and connected one thing at a time using the bleeps from motherboard speaker as a guide to whether error or not.

its working great. the POV 7900gt is serious with 3700+ athlon. nothing overclocked and playing HL2. Doom3. Farcry. all maxed for everything.
    happy gaming times ahead.
    Thanks again for advice cause didnt know where to start
    All the best

Advertisement