Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Driver Recommendations

• 27-04-2006 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I currently play off 9 and have a Callaway Great big bertha. Its about 10 years old now and although i still hit it well, i feel that i will hit some of the newer drivers further and more consistently. My driver is an 8degree with a stiff shaft and it suits my swing.

I am thinking about buying the new Titleist driver but would appreciate any comments anyone would have about this driver.

Also if any knows about good US websites to purchase the driver, that would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Head out to McGuirks in Celbridge and try all the drivers out before you decide.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

The Taylor Made r7 460 is a beauty - had a go of one a friend has and even though I'm a beginner it felt great, pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I hit the R7 and preferred the R5.. it's personal preference entirely. Get out and try the various options, then make your mind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Buy a Cleveland Launcher (any edition, I've the new Ti460) very cheap on Ebay.

They're the smoothest driver I've hit, so consistent and obvioulsy long as well. You can't go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I got a Ping G5 from McGuirks in Celbridge a few weeks ago after trying out a few different drivers. RRP is supposedly £250 sterling, gave it to me for €270 which I thought was a bargain for a new model driver. I'm chuffed with it. It's the first quality driver I have owned and I feel the difference a quality shaft alone makes is amazing. I'm (trying to) play off 22 and I find it very forgiving and confidence inspiring so I was surprised to see in a golf mag lately they had awarded it best driver for handicaps of 9 and under.

As everyone else has said. Get down to McGuirks in Celbridge or Golfworks at the Spawell and try a few to see what you like. Then play the shops off each other to get the best price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

theyre all the same. Get the one you like the look of and get fitted properly with the correct shaft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Whatever you do get, make sure it is legal from 1st January 2008.

See www.randa.org in the Rules section

S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Try the plus 10 driver,maybe on ebay theres a few

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scottty2Hottty

You said you were inteested in the new titleist driver. Its the 905R and its awesome, Try it with the new UST Proforce V2 75 shaft. I've used every model of titleist driver from the 975D and its definately the best driver they've produced. On the downside Its retailing at around E475, whereas the Ping G5 and Cobra Speed range are retailing at around E300.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

You said you were inteested in the new titleist driver. Its the 905R and its awesome, Try it with the new UST Proforce V2 75 shaft. I've used every model of titleist driver from the 975D and its definately the best driver they've produced. On the downside Its retailing at around E475, whereas the Ping G5 and Cobra Speed range are retailing at around E300.

I have just tried the Titleist 905R with the shaft you mentioned above and it was spectacular. I was hitting the ball miles and very straight. I have a loan of it till sunday and am playing tulfarris on saturday so that should be a bit of a test to see how i really hit it.

I know its a bit more expensive than the Ping G5 but i have always liked the Titleist drivers and might take a chance with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement