Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mis sold a kitchen what to do

Options
  • 27-04-2006 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I have just purchased a kitchen which has been installed, I am just waiting for work tops etc.

It was sold to me as having sol;id walnut doors.

I have now discovered it is in fact solid lime wood painted a dark walnut colour.

I have also discovered that this would cost less than half the price of solid walnut.

I have not paid a penny towards this kitchen yet but am due to meet the supplier on Tuesday morning.

So this is my scenario:

I am due to move into my new house next week.
    I do actually like the kitchen but it is not what I thought it was.
    It is costing almost 16k complete.

Do I

A. Tell him to take back the kitchen as it was not what I ordered.
    B Tell him to supply what I asked for
    c Accept the kitchen but agree to pay a reduced price

If I chose option A or B I will be waiting at least 3-4 months and could I trust him to supply solid walnut now that he has tried to pull the wool over my eyes once.

If I choose C I will be compromising my vision of having a solid walnut kitchen and I do not know what would be a fair price to pay or even if he will be willing to accpet this and conceed.

Any advise gratefully received as this is a major nightmare and causing HUGE stress at a time when we are already stressed to the maximum.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're asking people to answer a question that's almost entirely subjective. You need to decide if you want the kitchen in it's current state or not, and then you need to either decide between a) or b), or do the research to figure out what c) should be.

If you want someone to hum and haw with, use the other half of "we", not an anonymous group that have no idea of your circumstances, interests, personality, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Thanks for the insight.........
    Why bother answering at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The same could be said of your question.

I am asking for opinions as to what others would do in my situation.
    I am so involved in this and it is such an emoptive issue to me that perhaps I am not thinking as clearly or as rationally as an outsider simply looking at the
    facts of the story might be.
    So if anyone has an opinion on what they would do in my situation I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

"It was sold to me as having solid walnut doors"
    Was this writing/brochure. It could be a case of he said she said with the supplier maintaining he said walnut 'effect' doors. If you are happy with the kitchen and get a reduced price I'd take it.

Your best bet is to price the same set up from other suppliers and see if hes prices are in line. If he charged you what others charge for solid walnut, or billed for solid walnut then you may have to got the legal route if he doesn't give you satisfaction.

We had a dispute over a kitchen a few years back and had paid half with half due on coplettion. After an exchange of letters both of us gave up, and we ended up with a kitchen with few flaws, but at half the price. Don't know who was the winner there.

• Advertisement

Yes in my quotation it says solid walnut doors.
    I have received a number of letters from them detailing the kitchen, ie specifying the type of granite, and what was included and in each and every single letter it says doors in solid walnut.

Having costed the two types of wood walnut would be twice the price of lime painted a walnut colour.

I have spoken to my solicitor to ask him where we stand legally and he is getting back to me on it and wants a definitive answer as to what we want to do.

Part of me says accept the kitchen as is but get a price reduction and part of me says that will always be a compromise and I won't be happy down the line.

Thanks for your opinion, my husband is all for getting him to give us the kitchen as is but at a way less price.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If I liked the kitchen as it is, with the lime doors, and can check that the long term wear of them would be similar to solid walnut, then Id work out the difference in price myself and offer the supplier that.

However, if I felt the doors wouldnt wear properly, or I didnt like them, then Id insist on having them replaced. You seem to hold all the cards here, your kitchen is practically fitted and you still owe the guy the money. That should kinda make him play ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Soledad wrote:
    Yes in my quotation it says solid walnut doors.
    I have received a number of letters from them detailing the kitchen, ie specifying the type of granite, and what was included and in each and every single letter it says doors in solid walnut.

Thats ALL you need so now solicitor letter write post wait bill for time and effort and demand completion of contract to specification

If they make you an offer where they drop the price by (about) 70% in return for your keeping it ...and saving them a removal of a kitchen that they cannot easily resell then do consider that option , it is worth something .

This fool supplier is not based in Knocknacarra in Galway is he ???

No he is based in County Limerick and Killarney.
    The thing is he has an excellent reputation and I have never heard a bad word said aboput him anywhere.
    His fitter was excellent, the fitting is very good, he has kept his word in terms of drawings, site visits, etc but the kitchen just isn't Ronseal.......no way it does excatly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Are you happy with the units themselves? the layout etc. Is it all correct according to your wishes?

In this case, you are not going to be waiting for the entire kitchen to be replaced, just the door/drawer fronts. Unless of course, you do actually like the current fronts. This is completely subjective that only your household only can answer.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Originally posted by Soledad
    No he is based in County Limerick and Killarney.
    The thing is he has an excellent reputation and I have never heard a bad word said aboput him anywhere.
    His fitter was excellent, the fitting is very good, he has kept his word in terms of drawings, site visits, etc but the kitchen just isn't Ronseal.......no way it does excatly what it says on the tin.

yes, but it seems that in giving you the wrong doors he also lied, or , at best, made a stupid error which he must correct if you want him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are you really sure of your facts? Be absolutely certain before you meet the guy. How do you know it's limewood? Did he admit it?

If this is the case, I would ask him what he proposes to do about it. I wouldn't discuss what the difference in price is with him at this stage.

Remember, you still have the money, so time is on your side.

If you can establish what you say as fact, you can probably ask him to take the whole thing back if you want, so I wouldn't worry too much about the legal position.

I would be amicable about it. I would pay him something now for the carcases and their fitting and just withold the disputed amount.

And relax, don't worry, one way or another it will sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Have you solid frames installed? and gables units etc? A solid walnut door might cost only 50-70 euro each and would be easy to get replaced, but gables, cornice plinths, units etc would require a new kitchen really. I'd try for the reduced price if you are happy with the finished look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Stop and do not proceed any further. Tell the supplier to take out the kitchen and that you are not paying for it. you expect and want the real thing regardless whether or not you like what you see.

Remember, you are spending a lot of money and will have to live with it for a long time. Also the supplier needs your business a lot more than you need him.

Go for broke and you'll get the results but you need to be harsh and stick to your guns you'll get the results.

MAny thanks for all the replies.....
    I am feeling extremely foolish here as we had the kitchen inspected and it is in fact solid walnut as described.
    I jumped to the wrong conclusions and in my stressed out state assumed the worst.

100% sure its walnut? any photos of the finished job? at 16k must be some kitchen

That is not a lot of money for a kitchen in my opinion.
    And yes it is 100% solid walnut.....he imports the carcasses and makes the doors himself here in his won workshop.
    The 16 k includes granite worktops over 25ft.
    Solid beech worktop 6ft x 4ft to island, all appliiances, integrated double oven, hob, extractor fan, dish washer, fridge freezer, lighting in glass units....etc.

Soledad wrote:
    The 16 k includes granite worktops over 25ft.
    Solid beech worktop 6ft x 4ft to island, all appliiances, integrated double oven, hob, extractor fan, dish washer, fridge freezer, lighting in glass units....etc.

ok 16k is not that much if it includes all that...

Advertisement