Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels or home care?

Options
  • 27-04-2006 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

We’re going to Spain next month for a holiday but have just realised that our dog can’t come with us! He’s a mature Jack Russell and spends most of his time in the house. We haven’t been abroad since we got him so we’re considering our options.

What should we do? Am I better off to build a run to keep him at home and get our neighbour to come and feed him, or should we put him in a boarding kennels? The missus is worried – she thinks he’ll feel abandoned in kennels especially as he hasn’t been in one before, but I think he’d be better cared for in a kennels.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Leaving him home alone with just the neighbour popping in occasionally and rarely is a bad idea ...a very bad idea.

Staying in his familiar surroundings without his familiar routine will only do one thing ...make it abundantly clear to him that he HAS been abandoned.

How is he to know that you are coming back ?

Find a good kennels for him, where he has access to other dogs and is excercised and cared for and he will have a holiday as well and he won't miss you at all (or at least not too much)

PM me for a good kennels in Sligo, if that is anywhere near you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Hi

Agree with Peasant
    Please PM me if u are in Dublin

I can recommend a few good places - or you can look on the home page of

www.irishanimals.ie

for listings of home boarding and boarding kennells round the country.

Good Luck
    Jack Russells are resiliant little beggars - he'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

i would also agree with everyone....I had the same dilemma myself but found amazzing kennels in Wicklow....the lady who runs it is amazing with the animals....can give you her name and no if you pm me...that is if you are near wicklow lol
    Popppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

I would definitely bring him to a boarding kennel. Before you book him in, ask if you can visit the kennels to have a look. This way you know where he will stay and how the people who will look after him are. Do they really love dogs or are they doing this just for income. Have they dogs themselves. I think that's very important because if they don't, how can they look very well after yours. Is there enough space, can he play with other dogs, how may times will he be walked and will he be able to run around of the lead.

We bring our own 3 dogs (2 Irish wolfhounds and 1 terrier crossbreed) always to a perfect place near Ballymote in Co. Sligo. Don't know where you live. Sometimes you have to drive more than an hour to find the perfect spot.
    We ourself have a Cattery in Co. Mayo and have costumers from as far as Galway, Leitrim, Roscommon and Sligo.

I know there is also a good boarding kennel near Ballaghadereen in Roscommon

Advertisement