Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Broadband Provider

• 27-04-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I'm looking to setup broadband at home for my 360. All I plan to run off it is a laptop and my 360. I don't download much so I wouldn't need an ISP with a massive download cap. All I'd really be downloading is a few songs on the net and demos from Live.

Anyway, I just have two questions:

1. What is the cheapest Broadband ISP? I know Eircom charge 24.99 a month but is there cheaper?
    2. What sort of router setup etc. would I need to run both the laptop and the 360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircoms €24.99 is their timed BB that only gives you 20 hours p/m online.
    You'll get 1mb always on BB incl line rental for €35 p/m or €20 p/m for the BB on it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It all depends on your location. The cheapest and most widely available is probably BT's 1Mb with bundled line rental, that's €35 a month. However, sign up to BT at your own peril (see all the many, mnay other threads). Ripwave and Clearwire are quite cheap I believe, but both are fairly useless.

Smart Telecom would be quite good, €35 for 3Mb including line rental, but not available in many places and has issues such as change of phone number.

NTL seem to get rave reviews, but again availability is key, similar for Metro from Digiweb.

Best thing to do is check for what's available to you, here, then ask for opinions on any of those services. Stay clear of IBB and possibly BT (till they get their billing act together anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Check with each supplier by phone as the online databases are inaccurate.

Though with some suppliers you have to order to find out if you can get it :(

Advertisement