Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Broadband

Options
  • 27-04-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I've just been told by Eircom that I can't get broadband in my area. Do I have any alternative to it for high speed internet access? One that's affordable at that by the way.

I don't live in a town so I doubt I can get NTL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wireless can deliver Broadband , but isn't everywhere yet.

Satellite can deliver high speed Internet, but not broadband.

There is no distinction between Broadband and High Speed Internet for Email and File Transfer, but there very definately is for web browsing, VOIP, games, interactive and hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Cavan. I'm looking to use my Xbox 360 for online gaming and just use the internet for e-mail and the odd music download. What could I get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Try http://broadband.gov.ie and check services by location

Go to SmartTelecom.ie and put in your phone number. It'll tell you what exchange you're on. Then tell us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Digiweb wireless or Net1.ie wireless operate in Cavan . www.gbs.gov.ie may indicate that another operator has been approved in your area in either phase 1 or phase 2 .

Avoid the GBS scheme if they are using satellite (VSAT) and forget them if its ildana who went bust recently.

Remember that wireless respects no county borders so a leitrim or longford or monaghan or meath scheme may work for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Which Digiweb offer would I be best off going for though? There's all different options like Metro and DSL and stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

See my Net1 thread for "Net1 in Cavan"..... I don't think they actually have anything live in Cavan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL is phone line only works if everyone else offers DSL, esp. Eircom.

Metro is a high quality wireless system similar in performance to DSL with a phone connection too.

Advertisement