Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Penalty points question

Options
  • 27-04-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hey got stopped for speeding last friday, garda with radar gun stopped me, took my licence for a couple of minutes to his bike and then said something about having 28 days to pay.

He didnt give me any paper or anything so I assume it comes in the post?
    So I was wondering is it 28 days from the day I was stopped or 28 days from when I get the notice in the post?

Also I thought they were went to give a picture print out to prove it was my car he was pointing the gun at? Or did they fix this little problem with some legal crap?

it was on a dual carriage way and there was another car right beside me doing the same speed as me. (80km in 60km zone)

Anyway just wondering how long it takes to come in the post and how long i will have to pay it then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ddunne

as far as ive experienced, you guard is not abligued to give you a print out.

you will receive your fine notice out in the post in the next few days
    but the notice of your penalty points can take over a month, it took 3 months to get mine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AFAIK you do have to get your fine on the spot to pay it within 28 days!! I got 2 and they were on the spot fines and I had to pay within 28 days from the date I was stopped! You have to bring the receipt to the Garda Station etc!!
    First time I was stopped 2 cars overtook me doing well more than the 100kmph speed limit, I was just under it and I got done for apparently doing 140MPH, I saw the squad car giving chase to them and I moved into the hard shoulder to let him pass me safely and when he saw they were so far down the road he pulled me in instead so there is nothing you can do about other cars unless they pull them in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i got 2 fines and i got on the spot tickets.and penalty points came 3-4 months after the incident.
    the best thing is call the guard office in capel street and give them your car registeration number and they will check it up straight away if you have a fine pending or not.its better you find out and pay it before you forget and get a larger fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

he didnt take my car reg at all, just my licence, came back to the car and said thats a fixed penalty notice and has to be paid within 28days, he didnt give me a reciept or anything?

so if it takes months to get notice of the penalty points do I have penalty points on my licence now or when I get notice of them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

draffodx wrote:
    he didnt take my car reg at all, just my licence, came back to the car and said thats a fixed penalty notice and has to be paid within 28days, he didnt give me a reciept or anything?

so if it takes months to get notice of the penalty points do I have penalty points on my licence now or when I get notice of them?

YOu only get notice of your points on your license when you pay it!! He still could have taken your reg from his car etc!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

draffodx wrote:

you only get the points once a letter is sent out to you.if is sent just say 1st aug they usually start it from 1st sept.its not always the day the letter is sent or when the incident occurs.they take they own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

So what would happen if you were driving a car that was in someone else's name (eg partner). I assume that in the case above, the points go on to the car owners licence, and not the driver.

If the guard did not give you anything, does the guard have any proof that he gave you the points. Could you say thay you were not driving the car at that time, and that you gave the car to a friend to drive??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ianobrien wrote:
    So what would happen if you were driving a car that was in someone else's name (eg partner). I assume that in the case above, the points go on to the car owners licence, and not the driver.

If the guard did not give you anything, does the guard have any proof that he gave you the points. Could you say thay you were not driving the car at that time, and that you gave the car to a friend to drive??

he took the licence off me and done something with that, i suppose i colud go to court and say i wasnt driving the car and just left my licence in the car but the onus would be on me to know who was driving the car anyway so i would have to have had reported it stolen or something

anyway i'm not trying to get out of the points, just dont want to have to give the <censored> anymore money than i have to by letting the 28 day period lapse.

the college had statistics on the dual carriageway were i was done

2 lanes.....no on or off runs its just straight two lanes......60km
    3 "tips" recored
    no injuries recored
    no fatalities recored
    theres no schools or houses or anything along it

that really gets to me more than anything......the penalty points system could be used to real affect if it wasnt used as a cash cow.

#not sure of the accuracy of the statitics some group of students were doing a surevey on it or something so could be wrong.

Advertisement