Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modders in dublin [xbox]

Options
  • 27-04-2006 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

anybody in the business of modding xboxs around dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

riddik wrote:

yeah but mainly for friends and friends' of friends and word of mouth..
    XBox's I done have XboxMediaCenter on default bootup.

My own xbox has:
    200GB HD
    MP3's
    DivX
    homebrew Games running from HD (loads so much faster)

The MP3, DivX and Games on my Xbox are actual original copies of Music, DVD and Games I own. I am a programmer so I appreciate how much work goes into games, etc and don't generally pirate stuff.. (well not for re-sale)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

oh cool, how much u charge n wat chip u recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

riddik wrote:
    oh cool, how much u charge n wat chip u recommend?

Softmod ;)www.xbox-scene check the forums, its as easy as sh!té

Softmod ;)www.xbox-scene check the forums, its as easy as sh!té

I agree it is tediously easy but depending on ones level of computer abilty this may seem insurmountable.

Well instead of me telling you a chip to get how about you tell us what you want to do with your Xbox?
    Play DivX?
    MP3/WMA?
    Run unsigned code homebrew games?
    All of the above? Xbox Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

all of the above. what advantages do physical chips hav over softmod

• Advertisement

riddik wrote:
    all of the above. what advantages do physical chips hav over softmod

Well depending on the chip:

Some chips have an ON/OFF feature which is useful mainly for people who want to play on Xbox live as you cannot play on that if there is hard/soft modifications on your Xbox (with a few small exceptions)

Also chips allow an easy way of booting different dashboards and loading them easily enough without chance of much error

It also offers a safety-net for people who mess up and want to restore easily enough.

Although with the softmod... :

It's FREE

Almost all of the above can be done via a softmod but requires a much greater knowledge of Xbox's and its architecture both sw & hw. Generally only for the advanced user.

I have used many types of chips and over the last year or so I have swayed towards using softmods now all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

riddik wrote:

yeah me :)

softmod ftw tbh. there is NOTHING you cant do with a softmod, over a hardmod. including live functionality.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is softmod's possible on newer v1.6 Xboxes?

I've a 1.6, and it seemed vague on whether it woudl work or not, so I opted for a SmartXX modchip instead. Wasn't too difficult to install though I had the loan of a professional iron and small tip.

softmod ftw tbh. there is NOTHING you cant do with a softmod, over a hardmod. including live functionality.
    Anything's easy if you know how... Of course all of the information is available.. Just depends on ones ability to learn/follow instructions.. This is why i'd recommend a chip or something fool-proof for people who are new to this and don't want to run the risk of ruining their Xbox. I personally have my own one softmodded.

byte wrote:
    Is softmod's possible on newer v1.6 Xboxes?

I've a 1.6, and it seemed vague on whether it woudl work or not, so I opted for a SmartXX modchip instead. Wasn't too difficult to install though I had the loan of a professional iron and small tip.
    Yes you are able to softmod any Xbox version, including v1.6 + v1.6b
    NDure Installer by Krayzie is the latest and greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sean^DCT4 wrote:
    Anything's easy if you know how... Of course all of the information is available.. Just depends on ones ability to learn/follow instructions.. This is why i'd recommend a chip or something fool-proof for people who are new to this and don't want to run the risk of ruining their Xbox. I personally have my own one softmodded.

Yes you are able to softmod any Xbox version, including v1.6 + v1.6b
    NDure Installer by Krayzie is the latest and greatest.
    Ah thanks. If I'd known that sooner, I might have softmodded. Ah well, it's modchipped now, and money has been spent, and still worth every penny! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I hard modded due to the hassel of finding a pen drive that was supported and the cut and shut soldering to convetr from xbox usb to real usb sockets.

How did you find softwodding and any tips and tricks since youv managed it.

How did you get the savegame on the xbox?

The only problem i had was i couldnt get cromwell bios + evox bios on my mod chip at once so i couldnt get xbebian and media center in a nice easy menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I actually just went through 4 xboxes and softmodded em at the weekend. It was somewhat painful but once setup, a piece o piss.

Trick is to avoid the ****e Action Reload software and just use linux.

I just cut a usb cable and xbox controller cable and spliced em together. I didn't even solder it, too lazy. You plug your usb key into the xbox then and it gets formated. My free dell usb key didn't work, but my cheapo mp3 player did.

( you don't need the xbox to format the disk, but it's best to do this, it will let you know if the xbox can read the key before you go messing around with it)

So, you have a usb key that the xbox can read. Boot an x86 machine with a Xebian bootcd. This version of linux has Fatx compiled into the kernel, fatx being the xbox filesystem. Once it's booted (make sure you use kernel 2.4), mount the key and copy the saved game file for your particular game to the key along with the softmod installer. Unmount and stick the key into the xbox. Copy the saved game to the xbox, put in your game of choice and load the saved game. Follow the instructions then.

It's all a matter of getting the saved game onto the key, once that's done it's really really straightforward. I bought a copy of Splinter cell off ebay.ie for 10 squid and softmodded 4 xboxes with it.

No way I'm paying cash for a modchip for each one..

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Verb wrote:
    I actually just went through 4 xboxes and softmodded em at the weekend. It was somewhat painful but once setup, a piece o piss.

Trick is to avoid the ****e Action Reload software and just use linux.

I just cut a usb cable and xbox controller cable and spliced em together. I didn't even solder it, too lazy. You plug your usb key into the xbox then and it gets formated. My free dell usb key didn't work, but my cheapo mp3 player did.

( you don't need the xbox to format the disk, but it's best to do this, it will let you know if the xbox can read the key before you go messing around with it)

So, you have a usb key that the xbox can read. Boot an x86 machine with a Xebian bootcd. This version of linux has Fatx compiled into the kernel, fatx being the xbox filesystem. Once it's booted (make sure you use kernel 2.4), mount the key and copy the saved game file for your particular game to the key along with the softmod installer. Unmount and stick the key into the xbox. Copy the saved game to the xbox, put in your game of choice and load the saved game. Follow the instructions then.

It's all a matter of getting the saved game onto the key, once that's done it's really really straightforward. I bought a copy of Splinter cell off ebay.ie for 10 squid and softmodded 4 xboxes with it.

No way I'm paying cash for a modchip for each one..

Gav[/QUOTE thank you for that tip , i was tearing my hair out trying to get the ****e Action Reload software to work , booted into xebian and it worked like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I mod Xboxes and anything I can get my hands on.
    Softmods and Hardmods (onboard tsop/eeprom flashing too) so to have a XboxMediaCenter box on start up.
    North Co.Dublin area if anyone is interested. Used to also do JAP/US Gamecube mods (switch regions from US/JAP.) Now working on dbox2 cable decoder units (do a google search).

PM me if interested in any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

just in case yis didn't know the original psp 32mb ms pro duo makes a great mem stick for modding xbox if you have one lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

I have softmodded a good few Xbox’s for friends etc,
    Recommend XBMC as the dash , some people like to leave the original hard drive , and stream their content off a network , The largest Hard drive I have put in is 400gb , My Xbox is a crystal modded with a 320gb drive , 80mm fan (silent), internal USB hub, with built in wireless.

The going rate from what I have seen is about 30 euros to do a softmod, and about 60 euros to do a hard drive install with softmod. Beer, wine and choc also valid currencies :-)

Softmods do not require hardware, either does fixing some ones pc; you pay for the person’s time and expertise.

Pm or post to the boards if you have any questions or need help softmodding your own xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've also done a few softmods with new HDDs and am willing to softmod anyone's Xbox with a new HDD provided by themselves for a nominal fee.

I learned my craft from mrmrbungle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Banshee2003

anybody doing the firmware upgrades on the 360's yet???

I mod xboxes.... I can talk people through it too, and provide the stuff they need to do it themselves through the post. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement