Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Fees on Collapsed Purchase?

Options
  • 27-04-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Does anyone out there know what solicitors normally charge when a purchase falls through at the last minute (ie. at the signing stage)?

I am gearing up to sign for a house at the moment - my solicitor has a few queries in with the vendors solicitor and after they are resolved I can sign. The problem is the house I'm buying is being sold under probate and one of the beneficiaries (who seems to hold sway over the other 5 beneficiaries) is unhappy with the sale agreed price. Sounds like she kicked up about it and now the 6 beneficiaries have agreed between them that if the house isn't closed within 6 weeks of going sale agreed, they will put it back on the market.

The six week deadline is up in 8 business days and I haven't even signed the contract yet...

I've been running around trying to get it all sorted in time, but if I don't make the closing date and they pull out, I don't care- either they're bluffing and I'll get the house or I'll have to start looking again. It's no skin off my nose - the house is a kip at the moment anyway.

I'm just wondering though, if it does fall through, the only potential cost to me (other than survey and valuation paid already) would be the work that the solictor has done on it.

Does anyone know if they normally expect the full previously agreed fee, a reduced fee, or do they just charge costs on the collapsed purchase and charge their fee on whatever house I end up buying?

Comments

No hard and fast rules but certainly not full fee, they don't have to exchange contracts, raise requisitions, attend closing, stamp the deed or register the transaction. I know a lot who write it off as long as the client comes back for the deal that goes through.

Advertisement