Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to copy of warranty?

Options
  • 27-04-2006 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Rang Dell today looking for a copy of the warranty for my computer. The warranty is valid until June of this year. Was told that they do not provide customer with a copy.

Am I entitled to a copy? Is a warranty a contract?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

enter system tag on dell website, it shows a build date

your invoice will tell you if its a 1 or 3 year one from that date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Sponge Bob wrote:
    enter system tag on dell website, it shows a build date

your invoice will tell you if its a 1 or 3 year one from that date
    Yeah did that, but there is no detail, just the dates as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

About 6 years ago when I worked for Dell I did a phase of "odd job" overtime which included butchering old computers to get ones to work for training, and my favourite, which was for the asset management dept, verifying asset lists and serials against records. Whilst doing the asset management nixer one weekend I totally accidentally came accross a single sheet page that was the offical warranty terms and conditions as it stood at the time just lying around. Give the sales dept a shout and tell then you are considering buying a new batch of machines but would like a copy of the warranty agreement.

Alternately logon to the US version of the Dell website, it shows slightly different information from the UK/IE/EMEA one. Would guess that t&cs are more or less the same.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

I think shayser may have a point here - according to Oasis:
    Oasis wrote:
    A guarantee or warranty is a written statement given by the manufacturer or other company. The guarantee or warranty indicates that the manufacturer or other company will repair or replace an item within a set amount of time after it has been purchased. Guarantees are legally binding, that is they are enforceable through the courts if necessary. The written guarantee should contain the following information.....

However, I'm sure Dell (and other online retailers) have thought of this and it's very possible that the warranty is a standard document probably available from their website and the specific terms are in/on the documentation that you already received with the PC (but I'm open to correction on this...)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I requested (by email) a copy of the T & C's of the 3 year warranty about 3 weeks ago from the head of the customer complaints dept. Never got them.

Mind you I asked for a written apology as well and needless to say I didn't get that either.

I have now sent off a letter to the general manager of Dell Ireland requesting the above. I will keep you posted when I get a reply

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    I requested (by email) a copy of the T & C's of the 3 year warranty about 3 weeks ago from the head of the customer complaints dept. Never got them.

Mind you I asked for a written apology as well and needless to say I didn't get that either.

I have now sent off a letter to the general manager of Dell Ireland requesting the above. I will keep you posted when I get a reply
    Ah now Muffler... an apology... Dell!!:rolleyes:

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Dr. Spock wrote:
    I think shayser may have a point here - according to Oasis:

However, I'm sure Dell (and other online retailers) have thought of this and it's very possible that the warranty is a standard document probably available from their website and the specific terms are in/on the documentation that you already received with the PC (but I'm open to correction on this...)

Thanks Dr. Spock. That article is the info I was looking for. Hopefully, this will be enough to get me what I am looking for from Dell.

Advertisement