Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dempsey to boost ComReg's powers along lines of Competition Authority .. Yippee!

• 27-04-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Things are moving at pace it seems ... All good news for us:
    Local Loop Unbundling could be one wire closer after Communications Minister Noel Dempsey pledged to beef up ComReg's regulatory powers and put a time limit on current industry negotiations.

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9682727.html

This is all good ... and about time ... and should have been the case years ago - ie give comreg more teeth.

Cheers
    Aidan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It's giving a poddle bigger teeth when a Rottweiler is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Those darned poddles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Damien,

When their is no Rottweiler around at least a Poddle with bigger teeth is better than nothing :)

At least some stuff is happening - after our disaster two weeks of NoBand here in Carrigaline - we are happy for any movement :)

Cheers
    Aidan

Actually Aidan when all the poddle does is sniff other dogs asses then no it is not better, it is the same. Nothing is going to change. This is ComReg. This is the group that have had talks since 2004 about allowing people to keep their number if they go with Smart or Magnet and still haven't made it happen, this is the crowd who in their quarterly surveys say everything is fantastic and this is the crowd who have NEVER fined a telecoms company for acting the bollox in Ireland. Never. They made the village idiot the sheriff and now they want to give him a better gun. Do you really think this is going to bring about progress?

It's actually not aidanodr. ComReg already has nibblers in the form of fines, but they never actually use them. If they won't use the tools currently at their disposal, they won't use anything else. ComReg needs just two things: petrol, and a match.

• Advertisement

Well Guys,

Their goes my limited knowledge - its a dangerous thing. I bow to superior info and thank you for same. Just trying to gen up on all of this merky stuff in the background - and was hoping things were in some way getting a bit more positive,

Cheers
    Aidan

aidanodr wrote:
    Their goes my limited knowledge - its a dangerous thing.

You could easily get a job with ... no no I'll be nice.

Dempsey is on the Last Word at 1800 this evening talking about this.

You can email in your thoughts: lastword@todayfm.com

Or text in your thoughts 085 4100 102

Damien,

Me not lookin for that job, no siree. So thanks for being nice :)

Got Today FM on and ready

Cheers
    Aidan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Dempsey badmouthing Eircom ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Ken Shabby wrote:
    It's actually not aidanodr. ComReg already has nibblers in the form of fines, but they never actually use them. If they won't use the tools currently at their disposal, they won't use anything else. ComReg needs just two things: petrol, and a match.

DMcR was actually boasting about this at the weekend on Newstalk

Boasting about what?

(In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting that ComReg light a fire under Eircom, since they've proven that they're incapable of anything like that. I was suggesting that they set fire to themselves. Aren't I naughty?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Boasting about never being fined by comreg

(Ive heard about you being naughty -- what you need is some discipline)

Ahhh, for a sec that looked like DCMNR were boasting. Davey was.

DMcR == DCMNR ??? !!! :eek:

(Mmmm, discipline.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Lads,
    Can someone tell me this. If eircom don't through an injuction at Mr. Dempsey and LLU is sorted tomorrow, which carrier is going to show an interest in any exchange that they are not already into?
    thegills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thegills wrote:
    Lads,
    Can someone tell me this. If eircom don't through an injuction at Mr. Dempsey and LLU is sorted tomorrow, which carrier is going to show an interest in any exchange that they are not already into?
    thegills

hmm dude , what about the cost of full unbundling per month and getting the COW in to supervise the work and FM charges generally and jumpering charges. These are all part of the 'negotiations'

I take your point that many of the best exchanges are already 'done' and that not many more new ones would be done if the LLU procedure were sweetness and light tomorrow but thats not all and not every potential player has gone into them big exchanges yet.

You might actually get more Crossan Cables or Casey Cablevisions but via LLU. If it is harder to compete in the main exchanges then it might force eircom and others to go into the smaller exchanges and get additional business though with a slower return in investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

thegills wrote:
    Lads,
    thegills

Talk to Smart or Magnet.. they're not done yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

What about the STM-1 charges for getting your LLU traffic out of an exchange back to your PoP. These are still quite high and unlikely to encourage a Crossan Cables or Casey Cablevisions to start unbundling exchanges.
    Most of the current LLU unbundlers are targetting the Top 64 exchanges to begin with. Outside of this they don't really have plans yet until they get a decent ROI on those exchanges. eircom has 1100 odd exchanges.
    Wireless Carriers are the most likely to cover the areas outside these 64 exchanges.
    thegills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

A lot more sense in that than your previous post. Sure Smart/Magnet are going to cherry pick, but the delay ain't money/funding yet, it's the unbearable LLU process.

However the principle of LLU has had a tremendous affect on competition here. You can't get smart in tiny towns where eircom have an exchange is enabled. However you can get eircom BB at a greatly reduced price compared to X months ago, because of the competitiveness Smart brought to the table.

So any of the 1100 - 64 exchanges benefit from those 64, not to mention the significant proportion of the population that those 64 cover.

Advertisement