Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do I need to wait b4 building

• 27-04-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I hope some1 on here can help me! I have just been granted permission to build a 2 story house in the country and I know there is a period of a couple of weeks before I can build anything or do any site clearance. I have heard from some people this is to allow people to object to the permission.
    I have also been told that once there hasnt been any objections within the first 5 weeks from the application being lodged, then no submissions can be made!!!

Just wondering if ne1 knows how long I need to wait and also can anyone object to the grant of permission over that period!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

On your letter of grant of planning permission is full details of how to proceed with your build e.g. the delay between submission of notice of commencement (attached to your letter) and actually starting to build. Read all the documentation you have received from the CC and when you think you understand all you have to do read it again as there may be conditions you have not realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

When I did it, you had to wait two weeks after submitting the notice of commencement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Can you submit the notice of commencement straight away??? Sorry, I only heard about the granting by phone today, so i havent anything from the council yet!!! Can anyone come in and object now?? e.g. an taisce, bord pleanala???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Salmon wrote:
    Can you submit the notice of commencement straight away??? Sorry, I only heard about the granting by phone today, so i havent anything from the council yet!!! Can anyone come in and object now?? e.g. an taisce, bord pleanala???

Once you've got a copy of your permission you can put in your commencement notice straight away. From memory, this must be a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 28 days before commencement. Normally attracts a small fee, €30 or so.

Not sure of the legalaties, but I've never seen anyone stopped once they've had their permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

Salmon wrote:
    I have also been told that once there hasnt been any objections within the first 5 weeks from the application being lodged, then no submissions can be made!!!

Did anyone object to or make a submission on your original application to your local authority? If not, only the owner of land adjoining your property can appeal, and then only if they can show what the local authority has granted permission for "differs materially from the application because of the conditions imposed and the conditions imposed will materially affect his/her enjoyment of the land or reduce the value of the land."

If someone did object to your original application, they have four weeks from the date of the local authority's decision to appeal to An Bórd Pleanála. If this happens, the board's target is to decide appeals within 18 weeks.

See this guide to making a planning appeal on the board's website for more detail.

http://www.pleanala.ie/appealpack/controlappeal.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,281 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gonk, I couldn't have put that better.

People should read the planning docs. and be fully aware of the situation in relation to appeals and also in relation to submitting commencement notice

Thanks for the advice folks! Much apreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tdtd

once you receive your planning there is a period of 4 weeks before you will receive your final grant. You CANNOT lodge your commencement notice until you get your final grant. commencement notices must be received by your local building control 14 days before you start......... :)

So I should expect to wait about 6 weeks before getting things moving. What represents 'starting' is it site clearance, or opening a ditch to allow access to the site?
    Also I have been told that I can make some changes to the inside of the house once I dont modify the exterior or the windows? I was thinking of putting in hollowcore concrete first floors instead of the timber joists I have specified in my plans. I presume I can do this once it doesnt increase the overall height of the house.

Salmon wrote:
    So I should expect to wait about 6 weeks before getting things moving. What represents 'starting' is it site clearance, or opening a ditch to allow access to the site?
    Also I have been told that I can make some changes to the inside of the house once I dont modify the exterior or the windows? I was thinking of putting in hollowcore concrete first floors instead of the timber joists I have specified in my plans. I presume I can do this once it doesnt increase the overall height of the house.
    6 weeks in your case would sound about right.

Opening/excavating your trenches for foundations is generally accepted as starting works

Changing from joists to slabs may not be as straight forward as you think.

You really should talk to your engineer/architect about all of these issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Hi
    be careful when thinking about changing from normal joists
    to precast flooring!!!
    most likely you'll have to change the orientation of one of your inside walls
    i.e. block on edge to block on flat, and depending on the max span you may need an RSJ or other supports.. it's impossible to discuss accurately here online, but now's the time to do any changes to your plans before you commence your build (this won't affect your planning permission)

what you need to do is see your local precast company give them a copy of your plans and they'll explain to you what you need to do. (they don't charge
    for this service)

Overall in my opinion, i believe precast is the way to go, but it does incur more expense e.g. crane hire, extra work for the plumbers and electricians

as a rule of thumb it'll cost about an extra 5K for a 3000Sq ft house

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

i forgot to answer your question fully, you must put a screed of concrete on top of the 100mm hollowcore once your piping etc in completed, you'll still have your minimum head height of 2.4M no problem.

The same goes for your downstairs ceilings...you put up 2 X 1 batons underneath the hollowcore or slab, timber or plaster boards are then attached, again your ceiling height is not affected.

a pint of plain is yer only man

De_man wrote:
    i forgot to answer your question fully, you must put a screed of concrete on top of the 100mm hollowcore once your piping etc in completed, you'll still have your minimum head height of 2.4M no problem.

The same goes for your downstairs ceilings...you put up 2 X 1 batons underneath the hollowcore or slab, timber or plaster boards are then attached, again your ceiling height is not affected.
    Depends on what floor to ceiling height was shown on the original plans. If it was 2.40 and sticks to that he's in bother

Thanks Folks,
    I dont think the overall height of the house would be affected by going with the pre-cast slabs and It wont affect the external finish of the house. I'm just wondering if I need to re-submit the plans to the planning authority because I am changing something inside the house.

de man,
    good point re. the laying to blocks on their side to support the span of the hollowcore, I have had a quick look at the plans and I should be ok as regards the suitability of the layout to hollowcore. It was something I had considered from the early stages, but unfortunately it was ommitted from the plans submitted!

The council have asked for some small changes to be made to the external finish of the house so I need to re-submit a new drawing anyway, does anyone know if its possible to ring them up and tell them that I want to modify the drawing to include the precast floor in the new drawing also? It would be so much easier than re-applying for such a small change!!!

Also does anyone know the typical/maximum span of a hollowcore slab for domestic use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

Salmon wrote:
    The council have asked for some small changes to be made to the external finish of the house so I need to re-submit a new drawing anyway, does anyone know if its possible to ring them up and tell them that I want to modify the drawing to include the precast floor in the new drawing also? It would be so much easier than re-applying for such a small change!!!

In my experience (with Wicklow Co Co) it is possible. I had permission granted for an extension and other work to my house which was to include a small front porch. We changed our mind about the porch and our architect just sent in revised drawings omitting it and the council was satisfied with that.

Advertisement