Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El finito for Dunne?

• 27-04-2006 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Bernard Dunne's next fight is in dublin on the 3rd of june against David "El Finito" Martinez, sounds like a decent fighter from what little i've read but I doubt they would risk Dunnes expected european title shot if they dont think he'll win.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Thats should be another good test for Bernard, hopefully he comes through unscared and gets his chance againist Michael Hunter by the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Just ordered my ringside ticket, can't wait its going to be a great of boxing. Fair play to Brian Peters, he and Bernard are just what Irish Boxing needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Here's the card so far:
    Bernard Dunne V David Martinez (10 , rounder)
    Jim Rock V Lee Murtagh (10 , rounder)-Irish middleweight title
    Peter McDonagh V Oisin Fagan (10 , rounder)-Irish Lightweight title
    Paul Griffin V TBA (6 , rounder)
    James Moore V Kevin Phelan (6 , rounder)
    Andrew Murray V TBA (6 , rounder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KMack

Should there still be tickets left for Dunnes fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭GOAT_Ali

Let's hope he is tested this time and not paired with a 'retard'.....

• Advertisement

coverage starts at 10:00 pm tomorrow(ending at 0:35), Martinez will be better than a lot of guys Dunne has faced(the best since Vorinin anyway) and will be skilled .

The full card for tomorrow:
    Super Bantamweight: Bernard Dunne v David Martinez 10
    Middleweight: Jim Rock v Lee Murtagh 10
    (Vacant Irish Middleweight Title)
    Light Welterweight: Jeff Thomas v Oisin Fagan 10
    (Vacant Irish Light Welterweight Title)
    Featherweight: Paul Griffin v Wladimir Borov 6
    Light Middleweight: James Moore v Salaheddine Sarhani 6
    Lightweight: Andrew Murray v Tony Jourda 6

word of warning regarding Thomas v Fagan..........they are both terrible , peashooters whos wins have come against very poor opposition(Fagan's most notable fight was a loss to Julio Cesar Chavez jnr , Thomas' a loss against Steve Murray , he also lost to Ricky Burns in a 4 rounder) . Both are natural Light-Welterweight but the bout couldn't be for the Lightweight title as Peter McDonagh holds that(was origionally scheduled to defend against Fagan) so it's been made for the Light-Welter which must have been stripped from Robert Murray(not fought since he won the title against McDonagh)
    Atleast it will be a close fight and I think Fagan will shade it .

Murtagh is very chinny but this most likely won't be exposed by Rock as he doesn't posses that much power .
    Watch out for Andrew Murray and Jamie Moore as both look fantastic prospect , especially Moore who has been so impressive some believe he can do something at world level someday .

predictions:
    Dunne TKO 9
    Rock PTS
    Fagan PTS
    Griffin PTS
    Moore TKO 4
    Murray PTS

Should be a good nights boxing and combined with Corrales v Castillo a great night+morning of boxing .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It certainly is a step up for Dunne,looking forward to it.

Other than the showboating (which annoyed me quite a bit) Dunne was superb.
    Martinez had very quick hands(and has had a very good amateur career) but Dunne was able to duck and roll to avoid shots beautifully .

The only thing that worries me about Hunter is his reach and jab(height isn't too bad as he is only 1/2 an inch taller) . Hunter's reach is about equal to that of a Lightweight and his jab will break down many opponents , and of course Hunter is extremely tough and Dunne will not stop him(only the likes of Vasquez , Monshipour and Sinchawatal would). However I am very encouraged by Dunne's boxing display tonight and I would be confident that Dunne will be able to take Hunter's title . For anyone with Sky that wants to see Hunter he will be fighting on the 23rd of this month defending his title(presumely Sky Sports 1 at 10:00) against Tuncay Kaya(not the best of fighters but did recently beat Johnny Armour).

I was interested hearing Martinez saying he wants to fight here again because he is a lovely little boxer and quite entertaining . Hopefully Brian Peters could bring him over for some fights .

As for the rest of the card : Jim Rock did a good job with his replacement , although Phelan is the best of opponents .
    Fagan v Thomas looked better than I had anticipated but I don't know why the analysts thought it was a bit of a shock I was fairly sure he would win .
    Moore stopped his opponent(that's all I know of it) as did Murray , so it seems job done for both . Griffin won as expected .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Big Ears wrote:
    Other than the showboating (which annoyed me quite a bit) Dunne was superb.

Yeah showboating doesnt really suit him, hes not that kinda bloke. Its smart though as he knows thats what people watching like to see, even if there is a chance he could get nailed. Moore was very good last night. His opponent wasnt the best but he just pounded away with the body shots until the guy couldnt take it anymore. I wasnt all that impressed with Martinez tbh. I expected more of a contest he couldnt land a punch on Bernard and at many times looked like nothing more than a punchbag. He made bernard look like Ali. Haveing said that it was an encouraging display, fast hands, good movement, nice combos to body and head. Roll on Hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Showbaoting was a joke. Didnt like it at all, hate to see it in a fighter. At one stage i was hoping martinez would crack him with a good shot to make him cop himself on.

Esy win for dunne. Could of finished it off alot earlier though.

I thought Fagan was quite a good boxer. Although the conditions would of definitly suited him alot more.

Good few weeks of fighting coming up on sky sports. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dunne almost lost a fight by showboating about a year ago. He just had to hang in for the remainder of the fight.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Dunne almost lost a fight by showboating about a year ago. He just had to hang in for the remainder of the fight.

Ya against Yuri Vorinin , which was just stupid because Vorinin can really hit .
    Since that fight Vorinin fought for the European featherweight title against Nicky Cook , Cook won fairly comfortably on the scorecards but Vorinin gave him plenty of trouble .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All credit to Bernard, he did what was needed but I still believe he is too one dimensional and lacks the punch to take out quality opposition. His opponent was not up to much. All that posing is fine when your opponent is weak, but against a tough fast fighter, Bernard will need to be at least 50% better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have to say Dunne is been well manager/promoted by Brian Peters.They are not running away with themselves and are stepping up levels nice and slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dub13 wrote:
    I have to say Dunne is been well manager/promoted by Brian Peters.They are not running away with themselves and are stepping up levels nice and slowly.

I fear a bit too slow. Bernard is 25, close to 26 and at this stage he should really be challenging for European or even World titles if he's good enough. McGuigan was world Featherweight champ aged 25, when it was real world champ. I was listening to Peters being interviewed and he claimed Bernard as 23 yrs old. It didn't appear that it was just a mistaken quote, he seemed to deliberately state it. I'm almost positive he is at least 25, seeing as he won his first Senior Bantamweight title as an amateur in 1998 aged 17

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Dunne is one of the most skillfull boxers about no doubt about that i seen him spar Manny Pacquiao on video gave him real problems manny was stopping all the time tieing his laces and stuff quite amazing to see that he also sparred wille jorrin and was getting the better of him. also the nate campell spar really show how world class his skills are but saying all that i have to stress i really do believe his stamina and chin ain't world class at all hope he shows me different i think hunter will give him a real hard time in the later rounds if he dont finish it early hunter might even stop him late on.

Bernard Dunne is now ranked #2 by the EBU(since his worthless IBC title has been vacated) . The #1 is Mahyar Monshipour a really really good fighter who lost his WBA Super Bantamweight title in a war 3 months ago...........who announced his retirement right afterwards . So god knows why the EBU are still ranking him as he has no intentions of fighting again .

Esham Pickering is the mandatory challenger however , so in a way he is also ranked above Dunne .

Hunter will beat Kaya fairly easily and after that he will either go with Pickering or Dunne . Despite Pickering being mandatory Hunter has the option of having a voluntary in September/October instead which will mean he wouldn't have to fight Pickering until 3 months after that . I think Dunne is gonna get his chance before Pickering will and the winner will be forced to face Pickering within 3 months of the fight . So no matter what happens we've at least two great European Super Bantamweight title fights coming up before the year is out .

Advertisement