Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro in Cork

• 27-04-2006 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

HI,

I know there is a few hundred pages thread on Metro but its hard to get the info I'm looking for from something that big.

Is the phone service quality as good as a regular analogue phone? I'm using VOIP at the moment but there is alot of echo.

I'm also interested in knowing how good the Metro service is for people using the Collins Barracks site in Cork? Consistent pings and low packet loss is much more important to me than high bandwidth.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I am in the South Side of Cork.. Boreenamana R.d and my Service is top notch... dont use the phone though but service wise its great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

how far from collins barracks fisab ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

I'm about 9km away but am on top of a 120m hill overlooking the city and have a clear view of Collins Barracks.
    Someone on the boards mentioned a new highsite in Farmers Cross but the digiweb sales dept knew nothing of it (that would only be 3km away).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They will announce 20 new Metro sites (many in Dublin and Cork) sometime soon . If you are on top of a hill in Cork you could offer a gable for rent ....I would if I were you :p

The phone may sound as bad as VoIP at 9km which is what you wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Indomie

I am also interested in getting Metro. I am in Blackrock, Cork (Gate Lodge) and the sales rep told me I would need clear line of sight from Collins Barracks, but till now I have not been able to figure out where Collins Barracks exactly is and if I would be able to get clear line of sight...

Is there anyone who can tell me how big my chances are of getting Metro?

So far Digiweb Metro is the most attractive package for me, for getting Broadband and Phone in one.

Thanks for your help, guys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Collins is up on top of hill above Sliver Springs etc roughly on North side. Good view from many south side as Cork City a bowl shape.

There are various hilly bits and hummucks in Blackrock area so I don't know if you have LOS. But it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm 12.5km out from the Woodcock Hill base. That is close to limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

you can get chorus broadband in gate lodge if you can nt get metro there s a lot of trees around gatelodge so an off air signal from the northside might nt work but you d never know depending where you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Digiweb sales informed me some time ago that they are installing a second 'transmitter' in farmers cross. I had a guy out to me about 4/5 weeks ago saying that as soon as it is operational I'll be connected as I cannot connect to the Collins Barracks site. (Even though I am IN Collins Barracks :( ) anyhow I was told that it should be up and running about 2/3 weeks from that date. Still waiting to here from them. Once operational it should cover alot of the coverage blackspots around the city.

If anyone has heard anything recently about the operational date of the farmers cross transmitter could they post it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Yeah I've got Metro in Cork , south side of the city, Douglas Street area, some packet loss , it's up and down, while the service people are very helpful the actual technology leaves a lot to be desired, the phone service is s***e, so much so that I have held on to my eircon line because the Metro service is very brittle: cut off, echo, very loud noises, cut off AGAIN, crap basically. so really I gained very little on average moving from Esat; I have a 200KBps connection should be 350 odd with a 3Mb package. So I will probably switch to fiber when the opportunity arises and I have time to deal with all this. I'd be looking at SMART.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Yeah I've got Metro in Cork , south side of the city, Douglas Street area, some packet loss , it's up and down, while the service people are very helpful the actual technology leaves a lot to be desired, the phone service is s***e, so much so that I have held on to my eircon line because the Metro service is very brittle: cut off, echo, very loud noises, cut off AGAIN, crap basically. so really I gained very little on average moving from Esat; I have a 200KBps connection should be 350 odd with a 3Mb package. So I will probably switch to fiber when the opportunity arises and I have time to deal with all this. I'd be looking at SMART.:(

Will you PM me your WIR number please? Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

We had service called your connection and admittedly its one for the books. You are unfortunately the only client in Cork that I am aware of that has issues - these are related to strange SNR readings across different parts of your roof. I hate to loose a client, however we have done what we can to try and sort it out.

Advertisement