Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok nintendo has officially lost the plot..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That sucks alright.

There was absolutly nothing wrong with the name Revolution. I really thought they were going to hang onto that, as they did with the DS (originally a 'code name' too).

Seriously though... "Can I get a pre-order on a Nintendo Wii, please"... I don't want to have to say that.

//edit
    Offical linky. They're not even joking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

frantic mothers running around at christmas

"mI need a wii, you gotta help me"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It doesn't really matter. Names become second nature eventually.

The logo is nice, though. Kind of like a cross between something Sony and Apple would do, in terms of look.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The Revolution would have been a crappy final name. Can't get used to "Wee" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

lol Wii, wtf were they smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still not as bad as the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Hahaha

Maybe they'll have a game that simulates going to the gents bathroom for a piss.

Their handheld controller could be used in place of your, you know, unmentionable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nintendo go would have been better then this.

though someone told me today it's quite possibly a decoy for the real announcement at e3

though someone told me today it's quite possibly a decoy for the real announcement at e3
    Is it really wise to confuse and annoy your audience like that?

It's the Revolution, it's the Wii, its the Somethingelse... too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

:eek: What the hell were they thinking?

Surely they know what wee is in this part of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Jebus that's a terrible name.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

This is so, so stupid.

never mind the stupid new name ("Wii" Wtf?), in marketing parlance they had already built up a crazy amount of hype under the "brand" of "revolution" (rather than "nintendo") and now they have cast that to the winds for what?

Oh this is so so so so so so silly! 3 months (or whatever) before launch nintendo have decided lets name our new console after a combination of some ridiculous concept that doesn't really translate well from Japanese and marketing babble ("together "wii" will change the world" or whatever ffs); honestly it's like the nintendo marketing directors 10 year old sprog was asked how best to mess up his dads' new product
    Are nintendo trying to fail?

come on lads :(

P.S sorry about all the parenthises and bad grammar but this is so stupid. Oh nintendo! (Brerrabbit buries his head in his hands and crys)

whimper maybe it IS a joke? oh please!? please be a joke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

am, i shall remain skepticle until i see it for definite but i would have thought Marketing people at Nintendo were a little brighter than to name it something like that in Europe and US. Unless they drive jaguars and use a Mac of course

A comment on either Digg or Eurogamer made the point that the name 'Revolution' probably wouldn't have gone down too well in China... isn't Revolution one of the many blocked words on chinese search engines?

Doesn't make 'Wii' any better, but then they never did seem to care much about the UK/Europe markets.
    Doodee wrote:
    i shall remain skepticle until i see it for definite
    The news comes from the offical nintendo site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

i also remain testicle, I still think they're going to call it the famlicom.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*facepalm*
    *sigh*
    *hiss*
    What a ****ing stupid name. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Nintendo. Revolution was a perfectly good name, why bother changing? Even some of the other codenames (N5 anyone?) were better...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

no, i mean see it on the shelves with that name.

I dont think i'd want to spend a load of money on a wii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Nintendo retards would have suited better

PS: just saw the website, puntastic.

"wii will change the world" - *wipes sick from mouth* - How pathetic.

Perfect advertising campaign should be the exact opposite of the Carlsberg ads:

"Ninty don't name consoles but if they did, they'd probably be the worst names in the world"

Seriously Ninty, you've let yourself down, but most importantly (to me at least) you've let me down. (still gonna get one though)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

nintendo go would have been better then this.
    I think thats gonna be what their Internet Service is called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

All I can say is, when they were handing out names nintendo must have been out taking a wizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Introducing ... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it's really not about you or me.

It's about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.

Thats craptastically retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

ah c'mon guys it's only a name and dummb as it is i think it's all very funny and i actually kinda like the logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Rubbish name but it won't make a bit of difference.

Sega had the best names and it never did them much good. I always thought "Play station" sounded stupid but it never takes long before the name simply means the product and you stop thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I think it's Ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

meh, nintendo tbh.
    Their best console was the SNES ( not the greatest name either), and how long ao was that. Maybe just maybe they could be trying to recreate their luck with another naff name

edit: i mean non hand held

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

When i read Wii I first that it was like wi from "wifi". makes a bit more sense i think.

Well really my first reaction was "theyre calling their new console world war two!?!?" no no. thats wwii

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Rnger wrote:
    When i read Wii I first that it was like wi from "wifi". makes a bit more sense i think.

Same, and even looking at the new logo it still makes me think of WiFi for some reason.

The press release is comical, it's pure cheese! "It's really not about you or me...It's about Wii!" :D

"Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes the image of people gathering to play." :confused:Riiiight...

But seriously, what difference does it make? Anybody planning on buying one isn't gonna be put off just by the name, and if they are it's them who's smoking ****, not Nintendo. There's no way they came up with this name and didn't realise it meant piss in English! It's so unusual that it's bound to cause discussion, so I guess in a way it's good marketing. Maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

All your base are belong to wii

Gamecube anyone? That's a crap name. And Nintendo called it the Starcube before a similar outcry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That's an odd one alright. I was secretly hoping they'd call it the Dolphin or the Ultra 64 or something.

Advertisement