Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok nintendo has officially lost the plot..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

well it gets tongues wagging, and they say any publicity is good publicity so fair balls to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If anyone played Rome Total war, they'll recal that the family names were spelled "Jullii" and "Brutii", and the double "i" was pronounced "ee aye", so I at first had hoped that "Wii" was "Wee Aye", which is much better than "wee", but no, its wee. Pee. Urine. Idiots.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

cregser wrote:
    All your base are belong to wii

Gamecube anyone? That's a crap name. And Nintendo called it the Starcube before a similar outcry.

True, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Gameboy, DS... no outstanding names, and XBOX and Playstation aren't brilliant either...

When I read it first I was pronouncing it "why" in my head, but that opens up a whole new can of worms!!

Odd name, nice logo, irrelevant in the grand scheme of things... they could have called it the Nintendo Syphilis and it still would have lived or died on its games... (Excuse me, but have you got Syphilis? My son really wants it for Christmas but no one else seems to have it in stock...)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Zillah wrote:
    If anyone played Rome Total war, they'll recal that the family names were spelled "Jullii" and "Brutii", and the double "i" was pronounced "ee aye",
    That's probably something to do with the vowel before the consonant. Like Uwii - "oo we aye"... i dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

flogen wrote:

Odd name, nice logo, irrelevant in the grand scheme of things... they could have called it the Nintendo Syphilis and it still would have lived or died on its games...

prexactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

No way is it going to stick, they're a laughing stock all over the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Lord Oz wrote:
    they're a laughing stock all over the net.

And there's the rub. As someone said there's no such thing as bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

fobster wrote:
    And there's the rub. As someone said there's no such thing as bad publicity.

There is a difference between popularity routed from being funny and being a joke.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Wow. Woeful name. Seriously Nintendo, were you high or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Reckon they'll have a change of mind ala the PS3 controller after all this feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maybe it's just a publicity stunt, and they'll have picked a non-retarded name by E3? One can only hope...

Maybe it's just a publicity stunt, and they'll have picked a non-retarded name by E3? One can only hope...

Fingers crossed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I read it as Nintendo 'Y' [as in the first half of WiFi], that said i do like the logo, and if wii think about it, has there been a well named console ever?

Playstation, Xbox, N64, Mega Drive, Jaguar they're all pretty daft names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Nintendo Wii?.. Jesus, it has to be a decoy, I mean.. come on!.

If this isn't a wind up they may as well go the whole hog and call it the Nintendo Turd or something equally lavatorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

worst name ever!

That is all.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Laguna wrote:
    Nintendo Wii?.. Jesus, it has to be a decoy, I mean.. come on!.

If this isn't a wind up they may as well go the whole hog and call it the Nintendo Turd or something equally lavatorial.

As I've said on Nintendo it's a sign of a cultural divide; the name was probably devised by a Japanese team in their Japanese HQ; the sound 'we' in Asia could have an amazingly positive meaning for all I know (or none at all, which is better than it does here).

I doubt it's a decoy though, but there's always a chance that Nintendo will revise the pronunciation (or even spelling) for the west in light of the fact that it means urine... a pronunciation like 'way', 'wai', or even 'why' would fare much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Big nintendo fan...but WHAT? Terrible terrible name. They have shot themselves in the foot....again and again...

I bet Sony & Microsoft are delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

People, clearly the name is the sound of fun.

Nintendo Wheeeeeeeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Holy bollox. If I had the opportunity to name a console I'd be trying to name it the slickest, coolest name I could come up with. And yet, console after console, companies don't even seem like they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Well

Gaming in Ireland is officially ****ed up the ass now.

Nice one nintendo - when this ****ing thing comes out I wont be ever able to mention my hobby again

THANKS A ****ING LOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They actually don't give a ****ing toss about the European market and this just demonstrates it. I think Nintendo are arrogant. And I don't like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What exactly is the fuss? Nobody seems to mind that computers get shortened to Pee See. See? See what I did there? I made it look like PC has something to do with widdle. Anyone find it witty, funny or embarrassing? No? Odd, that. Do you complain that the shortened form of Playstation makes you sound like you're saying "Oh, by the way" completely out of context?

Maybe I'm just not down with you crazy kids of today, but I fail to see how that new name has led to Irish gaming being "***Ked up the ass".

I suppose I just don't "get it".

/me goes back to caring about entertaining games

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

If you dont see the fuss you're obviously not a gamer.

Consider going into the shop and asking for one.

It's not funny when your hobby is suddenly mass marketed as piss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Considering you'll be buying it in a game shop they'll already know the name of the console. Some people here are really getting a bit too caught up in the name. What difference does it make what they call it.
    So the choice of name is poor, will it stop you playing it? Will it stop you enjoying the games? Are you that fickle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hahahahaha look at all the whiners! :D
    Big clue: Wii isn't marketed at "gamers", it's marketed at all those other people. You know, the ones who don't like games (yet). And outnumber "gamers" by, oohh, maybe 1000-to-1 at least?

Go pre-order/buy your overpriced Pee Ess Threes and Ecks Box Three Sixties instead, unless you can look past a name and wait to see what the games will be like!
    You know, games? The things a gamer should really care about??

Fvck, this thread will be retarded by next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Go pre-order/buy your overpriced Pee Ess Threes and Ecks Box Three Sixties instead, unless you can look past a name and wait to see what the games will be like!
    You know, games? The things a gamer should really care about??

Fvck, this thread will be retarded by next week!
    I don't think anyone here will avoid buying this console just because of the name, but its still a crappy name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Well, whatever they end up calling it, I'm sure it will Wii all over the competition :D

/me gets coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

But will it be a case of Wii will wock you??

I just... I just still don't like it. I'm picturing myself walking into Game saying "I'd like to pre-order a Nintendo Wee, please". It just doesn't work for me. I don't like it :(

K.O. Kikki, not sure what you're on about. Just because we don't like the name, doesn't mean we won't buy the console, or won't care about the games. Still doesn't mean we can't express what a dumb name it is. Just because we think the name is stupid doesn't mean we're going to avoid the console :rolleyes:
    Well

Gaming in Ireland is officially ****ed up the ass now.

Nice one nintendo - when this ****ing thing comes out I wont be ever able to mention my hobby again

THANKS A ****ING LOT

Um. Yeah I didn't like the name at all, but you're officially overreacting now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Its a bit of a silly name alright, makes the Gizmondo sound halfway decent, ill still be getting one though, it still sounds better than the X-Box provided you dont pronounce it weeeeeeeeee,

If its really small it'll make sense too, a nice scottish console.
    So ye're getting a wee bit too mellow dramatic fellas!

Advertisement